Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Rain Coat Dripping

Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Rain Coat Dripping

Old 09-10-18, 12:12 PM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2829 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Rain Coat Dripping

Wat da ya do about rain coats?

I mean, I went into work with rain coat soaking wet. Walked into the hall way...dripping water all over the lanoelum floor...got into my tiny office which is shared by several people...no place to hang my rain coat...so I found a plastic bag and shoved the raincoat into the bag; then on way home I have to wear damp rain coat. Terrible!

Going into the stores...similar problem...people look at you like why the %$&* are you wearing a rain coat. I wonder when I will get kicked out of a store.

I guess people here (in the surburbia) just dash from their cars into building...so no one use umbrellas or raincoat even in heavy rain storm.

Not frequent....but once in a while...it's difficult and stressul situations.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 09-10-18 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-10-18, 12:55 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 5332 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
if the toughest thing you have to face is wearing a raincoat ...

At work, try shaking it out before you go in. yes, a little rain will hit you ... but that is what umbrella users are suppose to do too .... it ain't rocket science.

I have a bigger issue with panniers ... I don't like to shop in the hard rain because my panniers will drip for a while ... the waterproofing is inside so the outer cloth holds a lot of water. This becomes a safety hazard as I leave a trail of water through the store. Shoes are a similar issue.

As for a raincoat ... most are waterproof on the Outside, and won't hold a lot of water ... and most of it will shake off pretty easily.

I found most places I have worked, I could find some place to store my gear without causing too much trouble ... a utility closet or under a stairwell or something ... I would string up a little clothesline or something.

As for damp clothes .. . the worst for me was the rest fo the kit. Socks, gloves, shorts or bibs ... sometimes they might dry but usually were still wet for the ride home ... and if, as often happened a cold front pushed the rain away ... made for some chilly rides home.
Old 09-10-18, 01:01 PM
mtb_addict

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
it re4ally sux now. I used to be in a big office with a big wooden coat/hat rack, like something from the 60s, when everyone wore hat and jacket to work.
Old 09-10-18, 08:46 PM
wipekitty
on the road again

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I usually just hit the bathroom as soon as I get into my work building and wipe the wet stuff off with a papertowel. If I were smart, I'd just pack a regular towel, but I usually don't remember that.

As far as stores...embrace it! People bring in wet umbrellas, so really, it's not that much different, right?
Old 09-11-18, 03:40 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2816 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict View Post

I mean, I went into work with rain coat soaking wet. Walked into the hall way...dripping water all over the lanoelum floor...got into my tiny office which is shared by several people...no place to hang my rain coat...so I found a plastic bag and shoved the raincoat into the bag; then on way home I have to wear damp rain coat. Terrible!

Going into the stores...similar problem...people look at you like why the %$&* are you wearing a rain coat. I wonder when I will get kicked out of a store.

I guess people here (in the surburbia) just dash from their cars into building...so no one use umbrellas or raincoat even in heavy rain storm.

Where in the world do you live?
Old 09-11-18, 04:19 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use ponchos rather than rain coats, my urethane coated nylon ones will shake dry, dry enough. My old waxed cotton duck one not so much.
I shake it dry and fold it in on itself if I can't find a place to hang it out. As far as stores, shake it off, roll it up and stuff it in the cart seat.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 09-11-18, 04:37 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 8207 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
If the bike is in a dry location, then sometimes I'll leave my rain gear with the bike as I go into a store, or office, or something.
Old 09-11-18, 07:44 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Machka View Post

Another self-pitying victim of the Wicked World of the Automotivist Conspiracy?

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 09-11-18 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-11-18, 08:51 AM
mtb_addict

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
Texas, the Friendship State

Where people drive to get to the other side of the road instead of walking across.
Old 09-11-18, 08:55 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2816 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Texas, Friendship State

Where people drive to get to the other side of the road instead of walking across.

Where I am, it rains half the year ... weather very much like North America's Pacific Northwest.

Everyone walks around in rain jackets. Nobody looks at you "funny" if you go into a store with a rain jacket because it's quite common, and we've all got coat racks to hang up our outdoor gear.
Old 09-11-18, 09:02 AM
mtb_addict

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I came up with a solution. I used some powerful magnets and wires to create a DIY coat rack. And I stuck it on the file cabinet right next to me. LoL.
I know it does not look professional. But it's rare we have big rain here. And I don't really care anymore about this place.
Old 09-11-18, 09:19 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I came up with a solution. I used some powerful magnets and wires to create a DIY coat rack. And I stuck it on the file cabinet right next to me. LoL.
I know it does not look professional. But it's rare we have big rain here. And I don't really care anymore about this place.
Next payday, consider spending $17 and buy your very own coat rack. You can even take it to your next place of employment.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mind-Rea...FU_IwAodqXcO6w
Old 09-11-18, 02:30 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 5332 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
that's my kind of solution ... pretty nearly. I never used magnets, but ... good idea.
Old 09-13-18, 07:37 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 1990s Peugeot (Canadian-made) rigid mountain bike; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 3446 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wear a raincoat if I am on transit and a cape if I am on the bike in heavy rain. The cape is pretty water repellent, so shaking it out mostly does the trick. The rain coat absorbs some rain, so it does have to be hung up. I sometimes have to change pants or even my shirt if I am caught in an unexpected deluge without the cape, and on warm days I bike in in shorts and change to long pants at work, so I need both storage and coat-hook space, and specifically asked for that when I was relocated to a new office. Either you or the employer need to figure out how to accommodate your needs.

I tried wearing a rain jacket and rain pants but they are way too sweaty. The cape is much better due to ventilation.

Last edited by cooker; 09-13-18 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-13-18, 09:27 AM
mtb_addict

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
yes I need to try a cap sometimes.
Old 09-13-18, 12:02 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 1990s Peugeot (Canadian-made) rigid mountain bike; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 3446 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yes I need to try a cap sometimes.
I guess you mean cape. The downside is you can get buffeted a bit by the wind. Also I have trouble using it and keeping my gloves/hands dry, although it works well for the rest of me. I wear a helmet cover with it.
Old 09-13-18, 02:43 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 8010 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I use ponchos rather than rain coats, my urethane coated nylon ones will shake dry, dry enough. My old waxed cotton duck one not so much.
I shake it dry and fold it in on itself if I can't find a place to hang it out. As far as stores, shake it off, roll it up and stuff it in the cart seat.

Aaron
+1 for ponchos.

You can hold the front over your handlebars and sit on the back. When you get to your destination, you can leave the poncho hanging over the bike, rubber band the corners to your handlebars and luggage rack to keep it from blowing away. When the rain stops, it will dry out and you can repack it dry (or put it back on if it's still raining).

As for stores, they usually have free plastic umbrella bags,so you could stuff a wet raincoat or poncho into one of those if you wanted to carry it into the store with you.
Old 09-16-18, 08:29 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8217 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 74 Posts
Fwp
Old 09-16-18, 09:14 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Fwp
More like the drama of choosing an ascetic lifestyle in a first world scenario.
Old 09-17-18, 10:11 AM
Harhir

Bikes: 94 Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 88 Gazelle Primeur, 00 Lightning Phantom, 99 and 01 bikeE, 9x Mongoose MTB and more to come.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the privilege of enjoying a parking garage at work. I park my bike in the parking garage and leave the dripping rain gear (jacket and pants) at the bike. And I use the locker rooms at our gym to change from my cycling clothes into the office clothes.
As for stores I don't really care. I walk in the stores with dripping jacket and pants. Just last Friday on my way I got caught in a really bad rain storm here in the DFW area. I had to stop at a grocery store and walked in there in full gear.
Old 09-17-18, 10:13 AM
Harhir

Bikes: 94 Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 88 Gazelle Primeur, 00 Lightning Phantom, 99 and 01 bikeE, 9x Mongoose MTB and more to come.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Texas, the Friendship State

LOL. So true.
Old 09-21-18, 06:26 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Worked at a place that was completely uninitiated with people riding a bike to work. Had to put the wet stuff out in the warehouse hanging on racks and what else there was to hang it on. Always carried an extra pair of socks and a shirt for the ride home. Bike stayed in the office with me.