Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Jamis releases the most exciting Hybrid/Urban bike since the Giant Toughroad

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Jamis releases the most exciting Hybrid/Urban bike since the Giant Toughroad

Old 12-01-18, 04:10 PM
esteroali

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gears

I never knew why you needed so many gears in Florida
Old 01-06-19, 08:45 AM
akadoublej

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am late to this party but I am going to challenge the statement as REI introduced a better spec'd, less expensive bike like this over a year ago. It's called the Co-op Cycles CTY 3.1.

Did I miss something in the comparison or do the Co-op Cyles folks (REI's house brand) need to significantly up their Marketing and PR efforts?

$899 with a free tuneup in six months, less a 10% rebate as an REI member. Last year they had it on sale for 15% off for two weeks so with all possible discounts it's under $700.

Last edited by akadoublej; 01-06-19 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-06-19, 09:11 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by akadoublej
Did I miss something in the comparison or do the Co-op Cyles folks (REI's house brand) need to significantly up their Marketing and PR efforts?
Probably the marketing thing. The REI model is nice. I like the longer reach in the REI geometry. OTOH, I like the color scheme -- the grey and tanwall option -- better on the Jamis. They are both nice bikes.
Old 01-07-19, 05:06 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Originally Posted by akadoublej
I am late to this party but I am going to challenge the statement as REI introduced a better spec'd, less expensive bike like this over a year ago. It's called the Co-op Cycles CTY 3.1.

$899 with a free tuneup in six months, less a 10% rebate as an REI member. Last year they had it on sale for 15% off for two weeks so with all possible discounts it's under $700.
OP is in OZ. REI is USA only
Old 01-30-19, 04:17 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Has anyone taken delivery of a Sequel yet?
Likes For cs1:
Old 01-30-19, 06:18 AM
JonathanGennick 

Originally Posted by cs1
It's not in the cards for me, because I already have up to five -- depending upon how you want to count -- similar style bikes.
Old 01-30-19, 12:51 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Cool importer branding

The Biz is such Jamis Probably uses the Same Contract OEM factories as Surly/Salsa + several others.. ..
Maxway Ltd TW is a very big company in making bike frames in steel..

they just change things a bit to make it look different.. get the boxes printed to have Jamis on it.. and so forth..
Old 01-31-19, 04:30 AM
cs1

Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
It's not in the cards for me, because I already have up to five -- depending upon how you want to count -- similar style bikes.
I Know what you mean. Except for the disc brakes it reminds me of 1X conversion of a vintage steel MTB. Which isn’t a bad thing at all. I have a garage full. I never really thought the 650B tire size was that much of an advantage over a 26”. Still it is an interesting bike in a sea of AL and CF bikes.
Old 01-31-19, 07:35 AM
JonathanGennick 

Originally Posted by cs1
I Know what you mean. Except for the disc brakes it reminds me of 1X conversion of a vintage steel MTB. Which isn’t a bad thing at all. I have a garage full. I never really thought the 650B tire size was that much of an advantage over a 26”. Still it is an interesting bike in a sea of AL and CF bikes.
I have a steel Salsa 29er that's setup rigid, and two Priorities running 650b wheels. I do like the 650b wheel size for the road plus application, but that's just my own body size and preference at work. The Jamis design is nice, and I like it a lot, but it would be too redundant with just those three bikes that I've listed. I do like it though. The Jamis would be a good style of bike where I live. You want something here that you can slam around a bit.
Old 01-31-19, 07:54 AM
prj71

Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,164 Times in 761 Posts
Jamis has a poor dealer network. I'd have to drive 200+ miles just to find one.

Meanwhile I can buy Giant, Trek, Specialized, Rocky Mountain, Norco, Surly & Salsa all day long close by.

I wish they would make an aluminum or carbon version of that bike. 28lbs is a little hefty for me on that one.
Old 01-31-19, 01:10 PM
cs1

Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
I have a steel Salsa 29er that's setup rigid, and two Priorities running 650b wheels. I do like the 650b wheel size for the road plus application, but that's just my own body size and preference at work. The Jamis design is nice, and I like it a lot, but it would be too redundant with just those three bikes that I've listed. I do like it though. The Jamis would be a good style of bike where I live. You want something here that you can slam around a bit.
Especially the gray one with tan wall tires. It just radiates cool.
Old 02-01-19, 06:11 AM
JonathanGennick 

Originally Posted by cs1
Especially the gray one with tan wall tires. It just radiates cool.
I do like that one. I find WTB's dark shade of tan to be appealing.

You could ride all our local mountain bike trails w/that bike, plus hundreds of miles of gravel roads and doubletrack. It's a perfect bike for the sort of rural area that I live in.
Likes For JonathanGennick:
Old 10-19-19, 08:18 AM
Lu..

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roll Sport

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
Im interested in this bike, if someone bought it, can u provide a review, thanks
Old 11-01-19, 03:39 AM
cs1

Originally Posted by Lu..
Im interested in this bike, if someone bought it, can u provide a review, thanks
It’s sold out of al the Jamis dealers in North Ohio. Regardless of the price someone is buying it.
Old 11-01-19, 12:27 PM
prj71

Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,164 Times in 761 Posts
Just because it's sold out doesn't mean a whole lot. Maybe they've only sold 10 of them.
Old 11-05-19, 10:26 AM
hicks

Bikes: 2019 Jamis Sequel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I love this bike! Got it back in June looking for the Desert Storm but came away with the Charcoal with the tanwall tires. Really good looking bike. I've only owned or ridden a handful of bikes. This one is taking the place of a 99 Gary Fisher Marlin with a newer suspension fork. The Sequel rides and handles wayyy better, A more rugged hybrid with some mountain bike characteristics such as the big tires and wide handlebars but much lower than my GF and have some scrapes on the crank ends. Makes it easier to get on and off and feels more stable. Size Specific Design good fit. I like only one shifter and it's Deore.

I was looking for an early 90's Trek 850 Antelope like I had with the DB crmo that got stolen back in '95. I figure this is a much more modern bike with the same kind of steel frame that I wanted and I love the ride quality.

The sizing seems to run small because apparently they use the top tube for size measurement. Mine is a 21 and I'm 6'0" and it measures 20" from center of BB to top of seat tube.
Likes For hicks:
Old 11-08-19, 10:39 PM
hicks

Bikes: 2019 Jamis Sequel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
They just introduced a new color: Flat Olive!
Likes For hicks:
Old 12-04-19, 03:34 PM
cs1

Originally Posted by prj71
Just because it's sold out doesn't mean a whole lot. Maybe they've only sold 10 of them.
Doubtful, all the shops I've contacted said they had several in every size and they went instantly.
Likes For cs1:
Old 12-24-19, 10:11 AM
mdcoram

Bikes: Merlin Ti, Felt FR3, Trek Fuel EX7, Jamis Sequel

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
I picked up a dark grey Jamis Sequel last month and in all honesty my other bikes have been dust collectors since. It's easily the heaviest bike I own but it's nimble and well balanced so it rides lighter than expected. It's quiet, smooth, and better at making smiles than my faster bikes. After the first 5 or 6 rides I installed my 700c carbon wheels with 42's (saving maybe 3 pounds) but I've gone back to the original 650b's because they're more forgiving... especially noticeable on washboard roads. The hydro brakes don't have the modulation that my mountain bike has but they are powerful and easily more than needed for this type of bike. They'll put you over the bars if you're into that sort of thing. Just last week I installed a set of Jones H riser bars which play nice with the bike's geometry. I could not be happier with this bike and I'm really looking forward to loading it up for some Katy Trail sightseeing next Spring. If you can find one, get one.
Old 12-26-19, 11:00 AM
bikerguyin

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cost of Hybrid Bikes

I'm pretty new but that seems very expensive? Is this the case for hybrid bikes all the time?
Old 12-26-19, 11:50 AM
bikerguyin

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Whilst Trek and Specialized have only been treading water on their hybrid offerings for the last 5 years IMHO, Jamis has taken a leaf out of Giant's book and introduced what looks to me to be an awesome hybrid/urban bike offering.

Called the SEQUEL.

Now if this bike had been around when I purchased my Giant Toughroad, I suspect that I would have bought this bike by Jamis instead.

For me the bike has the following attributes that excite me:

https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/sequel.html
  • Jamis Size Specific Design frame geometry, Reynolds 520 double-butted chromoly main tubes
  • Jamis Chromoly fork
  • 12mm thru axle front & rear
  • 1x 10speed, 40T x 11-42 Cassette
  • rack and fender mounts galore
  • 450mm chainstay length in size 21" & 23", 445mm in 19", 440mm in 17", 435 in 15"
  • 28lbs, with 47mm 650b tyres
  • Lovely colour in "Desert Storm"
  • MSRP $949

I often worry for the future of bike manufacturers who aren't part of the Big Four(Trek, Specialized, Giant, Cannondale), so when a smaller maker puts out what looks to be an awesome model like this, I want to push its barrow a bit.
Is it normal to have to pay that much for a great hybrid bike? From doing research from places like this, it seems like it would be expensive but is that always the case?
Old 12-27-19, 05:11 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerguyin
I'm pretty new but that seems very expensive? Is this the case for hybrid bikes all the time?
I personally think the Sequel is priced a little high, but it's also a nice bike using premium materials. From a materials and construction perspective, it's very similar to their Coda Elite bike. Both use Reynolds 520 butted steel frames. The Sequel uses a steel fork whereas the Coda's fork is carbon. Both bikes use Shimano hydraulic disc brakes and Shimano Deore drivetrains. The Sequel uses a 1x10 drivetrain whereas the Coda uses a 3x9 drivetrain. The Sequel is nearly $1,100 and the Coda Elite is nearly $1,000.

The Sequel has only one grade, whereas you can buy various grades of Coda. The Elite is compared above, but you can also buy the S1/Comp (~$800), the S2/Sport (~$600), and the S3/base model (~$430).

There are other bikes in this category that are priced similarly. One example is the Surly Bridge Club. It's also a full steel bike with similar geometry (though with slightly more of a touring/bikepacking twist). On the other hand, you can get something like the Raleigh Redux for about half the cost of the Jamis Sequel. It, too, is a fully rigid bike with 584mm wheels (also called 27.5" or 650B) and a 1x drivetrain. The Redux's frame is aluminum and the components aren't as nice...but it's also half the cost.

It's great to have choices!
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 01-07-20, 02:40 PM
danders

Bikes: Fuji World, Salsa Vaya, Rockhopper 96

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
The 700c Surly Bridge Club is tempting. Kona Dew also, everyone is playing this game.
Currently on a used Coda sport that is one size large. Bought used so didn't pay much, A tourist bought it in San Francisco and rode it to Portland.
Old 01-07-20, 03:33 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
I think my next bike is the Surly Bridge Club frameset. I'll move whatever components I have and like from a current bike to that one and use it full time. I just have to come off the $525 or whatever it is and do it. Maybe this year...
Old 02-21-20, 02:53 PM
mdcoram

Bikes: Merlin Ti, Felt FR3, Trek Fuel EX7, Jamis Sequel

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
Mine... Love it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.