Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Technical question about the the Bike Forums

Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Technical question about the the Bike Forums

Reply

Old 12-15-18, 04:29 PM
  #1  
_ForceD_
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
_ForceD_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 898

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Technical question about the the Bike Forums

I have a small issue with the forums that only happens here in the bike forums, and doesn't happen on other discussion forums I subscribe to. I'm hoping someone can offer some insight...perhaps point out a user setting to change. Here's the problem: I use an iPad with a keyboard that connects to the iPad via Bluetooth. When I'm on the bike forums, the up/down/left/right arrows on the keyboard for moving the cursor will move the cursor as it should, but it also pages down to the end of the forum or discussion thread. Does anyone know if there's a user setting that I need to change to prevent it from paging down?

Dan
_ForceD_ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-18, 04:54 PM
  #2  
delbiker1 
Senior Member
 
delbiker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sussex County, Delaware
Posts: 359

Bikes: 1991 Ochsner steel frame, 2002 Airborne Zeppelin titanium, Schwinn DBX SS aluminum, Orbea MD 40 carbon fiber

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
I cannot help you with that, but it reminded of a question I have. Why do I have to log in so many times to post or see pictures from other posts. If I am looking at forums, and it has been more than a few minutes, to post a reply I have to log in again. Is that just the way it is or can a setting be changed?
delbiker1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-18, 04:56 PM
  #3  
Rollfast
What happened?
 
Rollfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Posts: 7,126

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
First of all, make sure you are using the mobile version (look at the bottom line of the page and click on the window (Quick Style Chooser) and switch from BikeforumsNG to Bikeforums Mobile.


If you have other questions about how the site works you can reference them or post them to Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
__________________
I don't know Everything...I've just been at it long enough to know why it's probably messed up.
Rollfast is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-18, 05:02 PM
  #4  
Rollfast
What happened?
 
Rollfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Posts: 7,126

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Originally Posted by delbiker1 View Post
I cannot help you with that, but it reminded of a question I have. Why do I have to log in so many times to post or see pictures from other posts. If I am looking at forums, and it has been more than a few minutes, to post a reply I have to log in again. Is that just the way it is or can a setting be changed?
Remember to check the Remember Me box when you log on and make sure that your browser accepts COOKIES because that is needed to keep you signed in.

If you can exclude certain sites from cookie blocking it is advisable.
__________________
I don't know Everything...I've just been at it long enough to know why it's probably messed up.
Rollfast is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-18, 05:08 PM
  #5  
_ForceD_
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
_ForceD_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 898

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Originally Posted by delbiker1 View Post
Why do I have to log in so many times to post or see pictures from other posts. If I am looking at forums, and it has been more than a few minutes, to post a reply I have to log in again. Is that just the way it is or can a setting be changed?
I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that restriction might be in place to help prevent trolling. I didn't realize that it doesn't let you look at pictures. I thought it was just for posting, including URL links in posts. My guess is that if a troll has to log in multiple times before they can make their trolling post that they are less likely to do it.

P.S. Thanks for the tip 'Rollfast'...that works.

Dan
_ForceD_ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-18, 05:34 PM
  #6  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 17,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
moved here from General Cycling

click on "remember me" and it should keep you logged in. It is really annoying without doing that
unterhausen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-18, 05:56 PM
  #7  
Rollfast
What happened?
 
Rollfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Posts: 7,126

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Originally Posted by _ForceD_ View Post


I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that restriction might be in place to help prevent trolling. I didn't realize that it doesn't let you look at pictures. I thought it was just for posting, including URL links in posts. My guess is that if a troll has to log in multiple times before they can make their trolling post that they are less likely to do it.

P.S. Thanks for the tip 'Rollfast'...that works.

Dan
BF restricts using links, videos and hosted files as well as PMs (personal messaging) until certain post counts are met while not presenting bad behavior and such, that is one way spamming, not so much trolling is controlled. If you have a problem with the posting behavior of a member (rude, fighting etc) it's best to click the red button with an exclamation point on that post and explain what your problem is in the box. You can also use it to ask if the post should be moved to a different forum or the poster should be split off into their own thread to keep a thread on topic and help the other person.

By doing so a staff member will often be alerted faster than if you sent them a PM and they can ask on it quicker. If you have a general question (without a specific member in mind) then starting a new topic or adding to an existing one may be a better idea. If you have a newer question about an old topic then starting a new thread may be a good idea...staff can and often do merge similar threads into one.

But these posting restrictions are in place to forestall, limit or discourage bad behaviors and spam.
__________________
I don't know Everything...I've just been at it long enough to know why it's probably messed up.
Rollfast is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-18, 07:29 PM
  #8  
delbiker1 
Senior Member
 
delbiker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sussex County, Delaware
Posts: 359

Bikes: 1991 Ochsner steel frame, 2002 Airborne Zeppelin titanium, Schwinn DBX SS aluminum, Orbea MD 40 carbon fiber

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Thanks everyone for the clarifications on navigating BF and posting and logging in. I do not remember ever even seeing the suggestions and user assistance on BF. I guess I should do more searching of the various aspects of Bike Forums and get a better understanding of what, how and where to post threads, replies etc.
delbiker1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-18, 12:22 PM
  #9  
IBThomas
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Originally Posted by _ForceD_ View Post
I have a small issue with the forums that only happens here in the bike forums, and doesn't happen on other discussion forums I subscribe to. I'm hoping someone can offer some insight...perhaps point out a user setting to change. Here's the problem: I use an iPad with a keyboard that connects to the iPad via Bluetooth. When I'm on the bike forums, the up/down/left/right arrows on the keyboard for moving the cursor will move the cursor as it should, but it also pages down to the end of the forum or discussion thread. Does anyone know if there's a user setting that I need to change to prevent it from paging down?

Dan
As far as I know there isn't a setting. It might be that the hardware youre using isn't fully recognized by bikeforums.
IBThomas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-18, 02:08 PM
  #10  
_ForceD_
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
_ForceD_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 898

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Originally Posted by IBThomas View Post
As far as I know there isn't a setting. It might be that the hardware youre using isn't fully recognized by bikeforums.
It's all good now. I was using the BikeforumsNG setting...although I'm on an iPad. I just like the look of the pages better. But I went ahead with rollfast's advice above and changed to the mobile setting and it works fine.

Dan
_ForceD_ is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service