Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

2019 - Your Touring Plans = Where Are You Going?

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

2019 - Your Touring Plans = Where Are You Going?

Old 02-15-19, 10:25 PM
ct-vt-trekker

Bikes: 2018 Trek Stache 9.7, 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 2009 Ritchey Breakaway Cross, 2016 Lynskey ProCross, 2008 Trek T1000 Tandem, 2016 Trek Fuel EX8, 2016 Motobecane Night Train Bullet,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Spring Mountain biking Moab for a week
Summer 2-3 weeks touring In Quebec Canada including the entire Gaspe Peninsula loop
Fall Great Allegheny Passage (GAP)
Old 02-17-19, 01:52 PM
Gypsy1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Heading South after some trial runs!

A week before June I'll head off from Rapid City to Denver for a meditation workshop and either head back or do a Nebraska ride ( Tour de "something") I just seen it but am ride/race across the state. In July, some friends want to take a trip to ride the twin cities ( they're driving, bike while there and drive back), I'll cycle there ahead and drive back with them. In August, I'm cycling to do the Ragbrai (Rapid City to Iowa) then cycle back. September/October start the trek South. I'm tied of Winter! Plan is to ride to Argentina, i have no routes, plans, or goals; just explore, have an adventure and enjoy life. I'll be broke so going solo is best. Wild camp and stay away from major cities. Doing the bike build now and will post all the specs and pictures. Happy Riding!
Old 02-22-19, 06:08 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl View Post
This will be our first bike tour. The hubby was skeptical about any kind of tour that would require him to get on the bike every day whether he felt like it or not because you have to get to the next place. So we agreed on a 2 -day trip with one overnight along the Loire a velo in France. At first we had looked at a package that included the bike rental, hotel, breakfast, maps/GPS and luggage transport. But the price seemed awfully high when we considered what a hotel in the town they were planning to put us actually costs. And if we can't carry enough gear for one overnight with us, then what are we even doing? So we booked our own hotel, and will just rent the bikes and panniers from the shop that was putting the tour together. The route seems to be pretty well established. The package didn't include any wine tastings, meals or admission to the chateaux. So what were we paying them for? The rest of the trip will be driving around in France, so we can leave most of our luggage locked in the car and just take what we need for the overnight with us on the bikes. We're not camping so don't need much gear. And the actual bike part seems pretty tame - 36 km the first day and 38 the second. Mostly flat terrain. As long as it doesn't pour rain, I think we'll be fine.
Wine tastings are normally free in France, but food (naturally) isn't. Check the supermarkets, too, the fruit and veggies will be fresh, but start early, as, by about midday, there isn't much that hasn't been punched or prodded to check for quality. There are lots of local markets, too, the locals will be able to tell you on what day. Finally, wine isn't expensive. It is still the case, though, that the region will tell you the grape, which may not be marked on the bottle. Chateaus may be free, although most are not.

Personally, I found the Da Vinci house the most interesting of the chateaus simply because of that link. Anyway, I do hope you enjoy yourselves, and, who knows, you may decide to leave the car behind
Old 03-12-19, 10:26 PM
e5usmc
Leisure Time Practitioner

Bikes: Custom Rebuit 1995 TREK 520 / De Rosa w/Campy Chorus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Planning to ride north from Bucks County, PA to the NY Catskills and continue north to loop the Adirondacks. Possibly continue east from the Adirondacks and cross through VT, NH, ME to Bar Harbor and return along coast. Figuring anywhere from 3 - 5 weeks. 900-1500 miles. No set route just destinations/points of interests planned a day or two ahead works for me. Fully loaded/self-supported but hotels, BnB's etc are hard to pass up after a hard day of riding.