Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

44 Cannondale or XS 48 Focus for 5’ GF

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-19, 07:43 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts

For 2019 I’m building up not one, but 2 hydraulic disc road bikes. One for me and one for my girlfriend. I have a size medium titanium Wittson through axle disc sloping top tube frame for my 5’11” self that I’m very excited about.

I stockpiled some extra parts for my build and realize that I have 2 disc wheel sets, 2 complete Shimano mechanical/hydraulic shifter sets (with calipers).

So so it occurred to me, why not take the plunge into disc road in an even bigger way and do a mini production run and pump out 2 bikes?

This leads to my question of fit for my girlfriend. For somewhere around $700 I have found a Cannondale CAAD12 2017/2018 frameset, size 44. I have also found a full carbon Focus frameset (I think it is like a 2016 Izalco disc) that is listed as a 48 or “XS”. My girlfriend is about 5’ or maybe 5’1”. I’m thinking that the 44 would be a more versatile fit for her. I suspect that the Focus could also be made to fit but the seatpost would be lower and the stem shorter.

I like that that the Focus has through axle front and rear whereas the Cannondale seems to have through axle front and 135mm quick release disc rear.The Focus is also full carbon where the Cannondale is sculpted, oversized aluminum. The frame material is not really a deal breaker for me - either one would be stiff and light I imagine.

If if anyone could provide some guidance or suggestions that would be nice...
Old 01-05-19, 02:40 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Got either one available for her to test ride, in person ?

Generically women have proportionately longer legs and shorter arms and torso , so companies like Trek have Frames with a women's specific design WSD.

seat tube C-T, center to top, C-C center to tube center , or center to the top height of the seat tube, where it ends at the band clamp?

and what is the top tube length ?

Is She OK With Toe overlap with the front wheel? it's a common problem with small frames combined with big 700c wheels..