Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Who still makes a triple?

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-17-19, 08:30 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

And not just a long cage rear and a triple front but something along the lines of 105 or even Ultegra quality new. Please donít chime in on less gears and less weight. All my bikes have steel frames and forks. The good ship carbon sailed a long time ago. A couple extra ounces of weight arenít going to kill me.
Old 02-17-19, 08:59 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Raleigh Pro, Trek Cycle Cross, Mongoose tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder

Quoted: 1675 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Bravo! If Bike One (my long gong shop on Convntry Rd) were still open all you would have to do would be to stop in. I'd have the Sugino XD600 on the shelves. QBP still lists them as in stock and any LBS with an account can get one. I haven't checked lately but TA and IRD have made triples as of at least a couple of years ago.

I have shopped eBay for the late 1980s and early 1990s Shimano triples (The Ultregra and Deore levels) with fairly routine success. And then there's the tripleizers that help convert a double to a triple. Of course I am still using tapered square BBs and threaded shells so mixing and matching axle lengths and chainlines is quite easy. Andy
Old 02-17-19, 09:21 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Road? What speed, 11 speed never existed outside of Campagnolo, SRAM never did it, so you're left with 10 speed from either Shimano at Tiagra (currently 4700) level, or Microshift (you will need to research that) getting cranks is the easy part, shifters the hard part.

Last edited by jimc101; 02-17-19 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-17-19, 09:42 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
I have a 5600 series 105 groupset on my Synapse in a triple variant. I'm at a point where both shifters are getting to show their age both cosmetically and in shift quality. My rear derailleue is also not great with a newer 11-28 cassette. That is one tooth beyond its designated maximum rear cog size, and it manifests in very tricky tuning to keep the jockey wheel off the cassette in some gear combinations. The 5700 series solved this, allowing for a 30T rear cog.

I've been on the fence about what to do. I could go for a newer 5700 series of shifters and rear derailleur, but by the time I've done that I'm still using older technology and have only kicked the can down the road. Triple equipment will probably continue to disappear, and I'll remain painted into a corner.

For a little more I could upgrade the chainset too and go with a modern compact double in front and an 11sp 11-32 in back. Seems almost worth a couple hundred more, just to not be dealing with keeping outdated equipment running smoothly. And the gearing range would be no worse... even 1% better at the low end.
Old 02-17-19, 10:56 AM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 6549 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 56 Posts
what the engineers at Shimano has for their totally integrated system took the 53,39, & added the 30, for a hill gear on a race bike. \

not much of a drop, but the shifting between the 30 & 39 was quicker ,
than if the difference was bigger like a touring triple 26t.. (1/2 the size of the big ring) ..

So that's what the left brifter is made to shift , and the 53,39,30 is the OEM supplied component..
Old 02-17-19, 10:56 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/carmina.php
https://www.rivbike.com/collections/cranks-bbs
Old 02-17-19, 11:06 AM
wgscott
VectorPotential sensitive

Bikes: Steel

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 34 Posts
You can still get an Athena 11-speed triple.

I have it. The one thing I hate is it is power-torque, which means you need an idiotic tool to remove it.
Old 02-17-19, 11:13 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Ebay.com or CL. Lots of triples there, some NOS, if you really need "new". As people discover compact doubles, lots of used triples also popping up at swap meets, etc. That's where I get mine.
Old 02-17-19, 11:45 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
You can still get an Athena 11-speed triple.

I have it. The one thing I hate is it is power-torque, which means you need an idiotic tool to remove it.
Does Campy even make Athena anymore. The reason Iím looking is to replace an older Campy Comp Triple. There are very few road long cage rear derailleurs available anymore. The nice part about Campy is there is no double or triple specific front shifter until you get into the 11 speed range. Which is sadly all there is left now.
Old 02-17-19, 12:06 PM
HillRider 

Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have two NIB Shimano FC-5703 105 road triple HT2 cranks on my shelf waiting for the ones now on my bikes to wear out. These were the last generation Shimano road triples to have a separate 74mm BCD for the granny ring. They come with 50/39/30 chainrings but the granny bolt circle will fit down to a 24T chainring. I've got mine geared 50/39/26 and they shift well paired with a 105 triple 10-speed front derailleur and a 10-speed 105 or Ultegra GS rear derailleur. They have been out of production for several years but you may be able to find them on E-bay.

Later Tiagra (FC-4603) and Ultegra (FC-6703?) triple cranks had a "tripilizer" middle chainring with a 92 mm BCD so the smallest granny chainring that fit was the factory supplied 30T.

Shimano does still make HT2 MTB and "Trekking" triple cranks and some UK and German internet dealers sell them. As Andy noted TA and, I believe, Suguino still sell square taper triple road cranks.
Old 02-17-19, 12:21 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: '76 Paramount, Salsa Timberjack, Burley Samba, Terra Trike

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1389 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Athena triple hung on for a few years after the rest of the group went out. Only the crankset, long cage RD, and shifters. But it looks like it's done for 2019. It's on Campy's website from a Google search but with nothing linking to it. Some places still have it in stock. The crank is the old smooth 5-arm and not the styled 4-arm if that's something you still want.

I got some of the shifters from Ribble about four years ago for a Shimergo build on my commuter and they worked fine with a Shimano Sora FD. I also got some of the very-bottom-group (Veloce) shifters for a Shimergo setup on my BIL's old 2x7 Diamondback Centurion road bike and they acted just like my triple shifters even though they were sold as double. That was confusing.

I suspect the new Shimano RD's are close enough in ratio to the Campagnolo to successfully work or be one speed off, but I've seen no one try it and don't have the scratch to be buying them just to do experiments.

Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-17-19 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-17-19, 01:04 PM
oliver1850

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If black works for you:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnaolo...Condition=1000
Old 02-17-19, 01:26 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

And peter white sells TA tripleizer middle chainrings, to alter your square taper BB road crankset

Old 02-17-19, 02:13 PM
ThermionicScott 
hungry

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1900 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1 View Post

Does Campy even make Athena anymore. The reason Iím looking is to replace an older Campy Comp Triple. There are very few road long cage rear derailleurs available anymore. The nice part about Campy is there is no double or triple specific front shifter until you get into the 11 speed range. Which is sadly all there is left now.
What chainrings and cassette are you looking to run? With the advent of wide-range cassettes, a lot of "short-cage" RDs have quietly mutated into medium-cage, and "medium-cage" RDs have mutated to take on a lot more capacity than before.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-17-19, 03:26 PM
MarcoBianchi

Bikes: Peugeot Mont Blanc . Bianchi 28c 1980. Coppi Giro di Lombardia. Vitoria Vintage 1990. Orbea Luarca 1977. Trek 950.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod137766
Not 105 but I think it is a really good price.
Old 02-17-19, 05:32 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Raleigh Pro, Trek Cycle Cross, Mongoose tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1 View Post

I have a mid 1990s Campy triple crank set I don't need. NIB, tapered square 170 arm length. Andy
Old 02-17-19, 09:35 PM
oldschoolbike

Bikes: 1974 PX-10E sold, 1977 Witcomb stolen, 1980 Roberts 1 speed, 1987 Cyclops 3 x 6 friction, 2010 Masi Commuter 1 speed, 2017 Ribble 525 2 x 10 with Ergos, I am un-ashamed of my triple crank.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two road bikes, both steel all-rounders of remarkably similar spec (including gear range) but 30 years apart in age. The older one is a 3 x 6 down-tube friction, and the new one is 2 x 10 Campagnolo Powershift. I gotta say that if you like advanced stuff and enjoy shifting a lot, the 2 x 10 is fine. For just going for a ride, the 3 x 6 is less demanding to maintain and to ride. Which is better depends on what you like, and I like both.

As for the original question, there have been good answers. The 110/74mm Campagnolo Racing Triple and it's lesser-cost brothers are excellent up to 8-9 speed, and maybe even 10-speed, and are common on eBay and elsewhere. Try Hilary Stone for new or like new condition. 135 mm BCD rings can be had from Stronglight and TA. The 110/74 mm Sugino XD series is really good too, and uses bog-standard 110mm BCD middle and outer chainrings. The mother-lode of triple cranksets and chainrings is Spa Cycles in the UK. Their house brand stuff is all 10-speed and very good value.

Both the Campagnolo and Sugino I mention are square taper, which IMHO is the right choice unless you are racing. Among other things, you can fiddle chainline and centering with BB spacers (a buck or two) or with alternate BB cartridges (less than 20 bucks each for good enough to get you dialed in), and the two tools you need (a good crank puller and a bottom bracket tool) are actually standardized across brands.
Old 02-17-19, 10:44 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 8192 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Shimano made triples up to Ultegra 6703, and the parts are available on E-Bay.

There is an Octalink V2 "road" triple crankset readily available. I assume Claris (or other) shifters to go with it.
Old 02-18-19, 12:48 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2011 Surly Troll, 2015 Borealis Yampa, 1985 Trek 720

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I really like the IRD triple I put on my 1985 Trek 720.

Old 02-18-19, 10:12 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Rant warning!!

The problem with the otherwise nicely made Octalink cranks is the 39T limit on the 130 bolt pattern. If you ride on flat land or are stronger then many of us small old people then my problem with this 39T middle ring (on their triples) is of no mater. But I know more then a few who use a 34 or 36T middle ring so to even out the ratio steps. (And with the unavoidable 11T high gear cog out back I run a 46T big ring on most of my bikes too). I really wish a quality made 110/74 bolt pattern Octalink arm was available.

But for me the ratios are more important then an ounce or two of weight and the non issue of "stiffer" anything. Andy (46/36/26 on the Sunday club bikes)
Old 02-18-19, 11:10 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Who?

Japan, France Italy, Taiwan ?
Old 02-18-19, 11:12 PM
Aubergine 

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post
Rant warning!!

The problem with the otherwise nicely made Octalink cranks is the 39T limit on the 130 bolt pattern. If you ride on flat land or are stronger then many of us small old people then my problem with this 39T middle ring (on their triples) is of no mater. But I know more then a few who use a 34 or 36T middle ring so to even out the ratio steps. (And with the unavoidable 11T high gear cog out back I run a 46T big ring on most of my bikes too). I really wish a quality made 110/74 bolt pattern Octalink arm was available.

But for me the ratios are more important then an ounce or two of weight and the non issue of "stiffer" anything. Andy (46/36/26 on the Sunday club bikes)
Very true. I use 42-38-26 half step plus granny on most of my old bikes, and something like 46-36-24 on my more modern triples. And I should add that the Campy Racing Triple handles a ten-cog rear just fine.
Old 02-18-19, 11:28 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Ya all did not buy enough... (No OEM Penetration) but at close out ... co opting a Shimano design , the company them selves dropped ,

i got an octa link type crank with the spider and cranks

as separate pieces ... I got a spider with a 58 and 110 chainring bolt circles, making a 48, 36, 22 combination practical....

trend pressures are immense.. and if you rely on after market sales rather than the factory size orders ...good luck ...