Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

The post your trailer thread.

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Old 07-28-07, 02:19 PM
roughrider504

Bikes: bunch of junk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Post them if you got em'!

I'll start with mine. Based on https://www.bikesacrossborders.org/diy/trailer.html . Finally something to use those steel 27's on. The box is 132gal which is enough for whatever I would need to carry, yet I could mount another one up front if I needed to.
Old 07-28-07, 02:45 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My Pac-mule trailer, along with my hardtail 1985ish Fuji Thrill:

East Hill
Old 07-28-07, 02:52 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by roughrider504
I'll start with mine. Based on https://www.bikesacrossborders.org/diy/trailer.html . Finally something to use those steel 27's on. The box is 132gal which is enough for whatever I would need to carry, yet I could mount another one up front if I needed to.
Can you get a close up on the hitch?
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 07-28-07, 02:59 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Using a Kid Trailer as a Touring trailer on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan! 65 pounds of gear and fully self supported. This included 105 miles of fire roads in sandy conditions and a skinny tire bike.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 07-28-07, 03:05 PM
Allen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
A Burley Flatbed
Old 07-28-07, 05:09 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Trailer w/plastic box purchased in Germany 6, 7, or 9 years ago for 40 DM or Euro, I don't remember which. Bicycle is a 5 speed Kynast of undetermined age, (probably mid 90's); cost nothing as I found it on Sperrmüll (Trash Day for getting rid of household accumulations.)

Old 07-28-07, 06:38 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't have a trailer, but I think I need one, and I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it hard for motorists to see that there's a trailer behind your bike? (I'm concerned about someone turning, running into my trailer because they don't know it's there, and dragging me backwards down the street...)

2. I need a trailer that you can break down (I live in a condo), that's sturdy enough to haul an 8hp outboard motor, and that's not too expensive. I'm not handy, so I probably won't make my own trailer unless I have to. Any suggestions?
Old 07-28-07, 06:52 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi
1. Is it hard for motorists to see that there's a trailer behind your bike? (I'm concerned about someone turning, running into my trailer because they don't know it's there, and dragging me backwards down the street...)
I've never had that problem, but you could use one of those tall, orange flags if you were concerned.

2. I need a trailer that you can break down (I live in a condo), that's sturdy enough to haul an 8hp outboard motor, and that's not too expensive. I'm not handy, so I probably won't make my own trailer unless I have to. Any suggestions?
How heavy is the motor? I have the Burley Flatbed that AllenG has in his photo. It's very versatile, but has a 100 lbs weight limit. I understand if you mod it with a board on the bottom, it can carry more weight. It's $200, but I'm willing to be there are some shops in Seattle that would do layaway if it's too much at once. It only weighs 13 lbs, and will fit in small spaces on its side - even if you don't want to remove the wheels.

I must say that having the trailer has been very liberating for me.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 07-28-07, 07:11 PM
bragi
bragi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb
I've never had that problem, but you could use one of those tall, orange flags if you were concerned.

How heavy is the motor? I have the Burley Flatbed that AllenG has in his photo. It's very versatile, but has a 100 lbs weight limit. I understand if you mod it with a board on the bottom, it can carry more weight. It's $200, but I'm willing to be there are some shops in Seattle that would do layaway if it's too much at once. It only weighs 13 lbs, and will fit in small spaces on its side - even if you don't want to remove the wheels.

I must say that having the trailer has been very liberating for me.
Thanks! I'll look into the Burley flatbed, $200 doesn't seem totally absurd, and if the wheels come off, so much the better. (I think the outboard is almost exactly 100 lbs...)
Old 07-28-07, 09:10 PM
Nycycle

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't have a trailer, but I think I need one, and I have a couple of questions:

How heavy is that outboard?

My Nashbar Caro hanging takes little room,
Has a tall orange flag and dual flashing tail lamps, and wheel reflectors.
40 lbs is too much to control, but 30 is ok. I like this trailer, do not recommend pulling it clipless.
Old 07-28-07, 09:14 PM
dirtylaundry

Bikes: Bennoto 1980

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roughrider504
Post them if you got em'!

Freaking Sweet! I dig the bullhorns on that bike. I have never seen or thought of bike trailers much before, but man.... I needa get me one of those.
What kind of things do you carry around in those?
Old 07-28-07, 09:43 PM
Autokat
CARFREE, THE LIFE FOR ME

Bikes: cruiser,hybrid commuter,and various other bikes and bits laying around

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my latest build it's scrap metal pipe and the drawbar is from a whipper snipper the box is 150 litre

Old 07-29-07, 02:27 AM
Autokat
CARFREE, THE LIFE FOR ME

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The wheels are off my two daughters old Bratz bikes ( they finally died so I stripped them for spares ) they rims were rusty so I painted them flat black , I don't know how many spokes they have and the tyres I got 2 pairs off ebay for $2.25 one set of kenda freestyle tyres went onto my sons bike and the other set which were a little to cracked for a bike are on the trailer . All up the trailer owes me $30.25 au the container was $20 and paint was $8.00 ( which I still have heaps of for next time ) and the tyres for $2.25 .
Old 07-29-07, 03:40 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Flag or big warning triangle on back!

My Pac-mule breaks down if necessary. He also makes haulers that can take deer out of the woods, so yes, they can handle a fair amount of weight. Just remember that if you are going down hills that the weight in the back can make you go really, really fast . He is a bit more expensive than the other trailers, but on the other hand, he's local (Pac-mule is a member here, and he's in Olympia).

East Hill
Old 07-29-07, 12:11 PM
bragi
bragi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by East Hill

My Pac-mule breaks down if necessary. He also makes haulers that can take deer out of the woods, so yes, they can handle a fair amount of weight. Just remember that if you are going down hills that the weight in the back can make you go really, really fast . He is a bit more expensive than the other trailers, but on the other hand, he's local (Pac-mule is a member here, and he's in Olympia).

East Hill
I'll check it out, thanks!
Old 07-30-07, 02:17 AM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
[QUOTE=CrimsonEclipse;4960226]
Originally Posted by Autokat
The wheels are off my two daughters old Bratz bikes ( they finally died so I stripped them for spares ) they rims were rusty so I painted them flat black , I don't know how many spokes they have and the tyres I got 2 pairs off ebay for $2.25 one set of kenda freestyle tyres went onto my sons bike and the other set which were a little to cracked for a bike are on the trailer . All up the trailer owes me $30.25 au the container was $20 and paint was $8.00 ( which I still have heaps of for next time ) and the tyres for $2.25 .

The bikes right? not the daughters...

CE
Old 07-30-07, 03:20 AM
Autokat
CARFREE, THE LIFE FOR ME

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ha ha I never thought of that
Old 07-30-07, 03:05 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
All pictures have links back to my my thread.

Grocery mode

Utility and general hauling

Bare deck

Originally Posted by East Hill
I use both

Last edited by Raiyn; 07-30-07 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-30-07, 11:50 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn

I use both
Certainly doesn't hurt!

East Hill
Old 08-05-07, 09:29 AM
Teme
Just me

Bikes: Nishiki 401, Rossano 105 Touring with disc brakes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my bike and trailer. The trailer is usually used to take food from store to home or to move 2 kids from one place to another. I was whole Friday afternoon and Saturday at forest so this time I used trailer to get all stuff to there. So during those days I picked up about 13l blueberries. I love forests and what they can give for me.

(And yes. I know fenders are missing. I lost them at touring last summer.)
Old 08-05-07, 10:19 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Teme
So during those days I picked up about 13l blueberries. I love forests and what they can give for me.
Mushrooms as well? That's a lot of blueberries--do you dry them?

East Hill
Old 08-05-07, 11:32 AM
Teme
Just me

Bikes: Nishiki 401, Rossano 105 Touring with disc brakes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately there wasn't mushrooms which I know. We store blueberries to freezer. That's simplier than drying them. Part of the berries were used to the cake which we happily ate today and offered it for relatives.

If I find mushrooms which I know, I usually collect them so that I can enjoy them with my son at evening. I don't store them because usually my parents gives us enough dried mushrooms. (And most of our family doesn't like mushrooms so I'd rather get as much berries as possible.) Distance to the place were the picture were taken was 12km. It was such place were nobody ends up with car. Never. Dead end. Nothing intresting around. Not even parking place. Using bike takes me to such places quite often.

Teme
Old 08-14-07, 11:15 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
My Bikes At Work trailer https://bikesatwork.com/

Works great. Cool website too. You can calculate how fast you can expect to pull a certain weight over a chosen grade.

This trailer really allows me to be car free more easily. It will haul over 300lbs of stuff. Rubber tubs not included. I think I paid $400+ US a couple years ago and saved that in car note over a couple months. Very well made and nice design. Pulls like a charm. I would suggest a triple chain ring tho.
Old 08-14-07, 11:45 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
This is probably pretty obvious, but if you can get your hauling done in a trailer designed for towing kids around, and leave the sun/rain hood up, most motorists will give you extra space when they pass 'cause they think you got a kid in there even tho the trailer is full of beer and chips. Least that's what I hear - no kids and I spend all of my beer money on bikes.
Old 08-16-07, 05:56 PM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my very cheap (albeit temporary...I'm saving for a Xtracycle) solution to the "how to get the dog and catfood that don't fit in the panniers home" problem. This is for the kind of person who would mount a milk crate on their bike and not be embarrassed...

The grocery cart was $10 at the Thrift Store and a bag of 40 zip ties was 99 cents. I do this every two months...about 2 miles round trip on quiet suburban streets. Total weight 45 pounds. After reading this thread I think that I'll put a flag on it for greater visability.

Last edited by alicestrong; 08-16-07 at 06:12 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.