Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Need advice on wheels. Campy Zonda or....

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-15, 12:30 PM
Hapsmo911

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts

If you have person experience with these wheels please share them with me. I am debating purchasing a set for the winter. I am back up to 240 after getting down to 190. I am back on the bike and looking for a robust wheel. I have a set of Mavic ksyrium Sl's but just don't feel good riding them at this weight. I also have a set of Psimet wheels, the rear has a powertap so I do not want to ride this in the rain. I could have another rear wheel built to match the front wheel with a white ind. t11 hub laced to a DT swiss rr585 rim for the same cost of a set of Zondas. That is my debate. Getting a custom rear wheel or purchase the Zondas. Your thoughts are welcome. Thanks!
Old 10-21-15, 03:06 PM
yooperbiker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It think first should be thinking about spoke count and tire size. At 240 lbs should be on 24/32 spoke wheels minimum, or even 32/36 spokes, and tires 28mm wider or wider. The Mavics are only 18/20 spoke.

Generally light race wheelsets are designed for riders under 180 lbs, and become a bad idea for those over 200 lbs. If terrain and technique are gentle, wheels can handle heaver rider however.

I think the Zondas are too light for you at 240 lbs. Just my opinion.
Old 10-21-15, 03:35 PM
Hapsmo911

Originally Posted by yooperbiker
It think first should be thinking about spoke count and tire size. At 240 lbs should be on 24/32 spoke wheels minimum, or even 32/36 spokes, and tires 28mm wider or wider. The Mavics are only 18/20 spoke.

Generally light race wheelsets are designed for riders under 180 lbs, and become a bad idea for those over 200 lbs. If terrain and technique are gentle, wheels can handle heaver rider however.

I think the Zondas are too light for you at 240 lbs. Just my opinion.
Thanks for your time and opinion.

I have heard Campy wheels, notably Zondas, fare well for clyde's. Although I think 240 is stretching it. My thought was, if I loose 3-5 lbs a week I should be down 20 lbs in just a couple months. Thar would put me, I think, in the comfortable range of these wheels.

I emailed Psimet asking his opinion on a build for my use and weight last year when I was 20 lbs lighter. At that time they thought 28 spokes with this build would do ok. I am waiting on a response from him on my current weight.
Old 10-21-15, 09:57 PM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only bad thing about Campy wheels is trying to find Campy parts...
Old 10-21-15, 11:26 PM
Hapsmo911

Originally Posted by bassjones
Only bad thing about Campy wheels is trying to find Campy parts...

Thats what I hear. I think they are somewhat disposable. The set is $350 right now and the one rear wheel costs $420 to build. So its tempting just to go with Campy and see what I get out of them. If I use them I will be losing tons of weight so its just a matter of time before im under their recommendations but still.....
Old 10-22-15, 07:17 AM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make sure the hub is compatible with your groupset. Campy cogsets don't play well with SRAM or Shimano and SRAM/Shimano cogsets can't be used with Campy hubs.
Old 10-22-15, 09:02 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Make sure the hub is compatible with your groupset. Campy cogsets don't play well with SRAM or Shimano and SRAM/Shimano cogsets can't be used with Campy hubs.
They come in Shimano/SRAM compatible versions. I know, because my just arrived a few days ago. They are really sweet, completely true, feel pretty darn light. I was going to wait until spring to put them on, but since my rear wheel has two or three cracks in it I guess I'm going to pop them on today. Not sure I'll appreciate them fully since I currently have my fall/winter tires on (32's with tread, heavy and slowish).

I'm 220. I'm hard on wheels. I go through a rear wheel every two seasons (about 5k miles). I haven't figured out why yet but I think combination of my size (220 lbs), and the fact that every ride I do from home starts out down a mile long hill with a pretty rough road surface where I hit about 42 mph just coasting has something to do with it. Have had an assortment of wheels, get them trued and tensioned at a very good LBS.

Hoping the Zondas last me a few years at least. Got a good price on them at Evans in the UK.
Old 10-22-15, 09:15 AM
billyymc

Oh - no rim strips required on teh Zondas either, which is kinda cool.
Old 10-22-15, 03:37 PM
Hapsmo911

I run Campy shifters and Shimano cogs. I have hubs for both, thanks for the headsup though

Still not sure what I am going to do. I keep reading the Zondas are tough as nails.
Old 10-23-15, 02:56 AM
Squashednuts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hapsmo911
Your thoughts are welcome. Thanks!
I hover around the 89 - 91kg mark & ride a 2013 Scott foil. The specs say it has Synchros RR 2.0 hubs, rims & spokes.
In real life hubs are marked DT Swiss.
The whole bike has proved excellent. I ride about 200kms a week & the roads a rough.
I don't know what difference an extra few kgs would make
Old 10-23-15, 09:19 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by billyymc

I'm 220. I'm hard on wheels. I go through a rear wheel every two seasons (about 5k miles). .

You could alleviate this by building a decent 32 spoke aero cross section rim up with some 14/15 butted spokes and a quality hubset from the brand of your choice

Then when you lunchbox the wheel, you just replace the rim at perhaps $100 parts and labor +/-
Old 10-23-15, 10:19 AM
billyymc

Originally Posted by DMC707
You could alleviate this by building a decent 32 spoke aero cross section rim up with some 14/15 butted spokes and a quality hubset from the brand of your choice

Then when you lunchbox the wheel, you just replace the rim at perhaps $100 parts and labor +/-
Maybe. But the wheel I just got rid of should have lasted longer than it did. 36 spoke Velocity A23 rim with a 105 hub, not sure what spokes. Built by "Handspun" - and I had a competent LBS check it and retention it after riding it for a few hundred miles.

I'll see how the Zonda's do.