Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Marking puncture on tube

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Marking puncture on tube

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-18, 04:31 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I carry spare tubes and use them too, but isn't this thread about marking the location of the hole so you can find it when you get home? Is carrying a sharpie on the road really necissary for that and if you are going to patch then why not just locate the hole by pumping the tire?

-Tim-
Old 03-27-18, 05:02 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Stick a toothpick into the hole?
I keep a pin in my patch kit for sticking in punctures once I find them.

Last edited by RubeRad; 03-27-18 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-27-18, 05:12 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,921 Posts
old fashion orange, yellow, or white crayola crayon.
Old 03-27-18, 05:29 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Sharpie or a pen. I put a line about an 1 or so inch away on both sides of the hole. The glue and patch get applied centered in between the lines. Being about an inch away still allows me to scuff and glue and the lines are usually still visible. When I am done, if the patch is close to centered between the lines, it was a success. I don't carry a pen with me on the road but my on road patch kit is skabs and they are easier to finger over the hole and just slap on.

Other things.. I place a X on the left sidewall of my directional tires with a gold or silver sharpie. This helps to quickly identify the right mount direction. Seems obvious but sometimes on the fly, when it's dark etc.. It is just quick and easy. I also mount the tire with that X centered on the valve stem. It allows for easier correlation of the hole in the tube to the relative position of the tire for finding the source or cause. I refresh the X occasionally but it seems to last 6+ months easily.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tube.jpg (141.4 KB, 180 views)

Last edited by u235; 03-27-18 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-27-18, 05:44 PM
ccinnz

Bikes: Guru Praemio, Colnago CLX, 80's Avanti Giro

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I'm old school... chalk
Old 03-27-18, 05:52 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 1,030 Posts
I don't understand why you can't see the hole after you've put some air in the tube. But ball point does work great.
Old 03-27-18, 05:59 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Silver Sharpie (gold sharpies are useless, quite dark, not very visible on just about any surface.)

Four lines pointing to the hole, far enough out that the scuffed tube or the patch won't cover them. It's often not easy for me to see the hole after the rubber cement has been applied. The marks make it simple to center the patch.

I also mark new tubes with an arrow near the valve, and install them with the arrow in the direction of travel. The tire is mounted with the label next to the valve hole. Now I can quickly line up the flat tube with the tire after I find the hole, and don't need to look that far from the valve in each direction. I only need to examine a few inches of the tire for embedded slivers.

Silver sharpies are great for marking dark painted bike components -- like the bars near the stem clamp, or the seatpost, when doing setup adjustments. The marks easily wipe off with drugstore rubbing alcohol.

I have a lot of uses for these markers, other than just bikes.

~~~~~
Like the above comments, I keep punctured tubes until I have 3 or 4. Then patch all at once, with a fresh tube of glue. So the marker works for me. My flats are many months apart, so an opened tube of glue never lasts long enough between times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1140999_DxO.jpg (62.7 KB, 187 views)

Last edited by rm -rf; 03-27-18 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-27-18, 11:41 PM
skillasw
vintage Bianchiist

Bikes: Bianchis, 84 Superleggera, 86 Giro, 87 SportSx, 87 Campd'Italia, 87 Limited, 88 Proto, 95 TSXChorus, 94 TSX105/DAax, 94 Super Grizzley RC, 94 Genius Record, 06 Pinella Boron, 18 Volpe Avanti, 00 Megapro ST Veloce00 EM Strada OS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by neverquit
So, I always patch my flats. A lot of the group riders just buy new tubes! Never had a problem with a patched tube. HOWEVER, I do have a problem with after I find the hole, marking the spot so I can patch it!....I've tried pens, felt tipped markers, pencils, you name it, can't find anything that marks the tube so when I take it to the kitchen table to prep the hole I know where it is........What do you guys use? Went to Walmart and a car parts store, nope, they don't have anything.....

Thanks
Lloyd

White electrical tape. Just put a small piece over the hole, when you find it.
Old 03-28-18, 08:55 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I carry a pocket knife and slightly enlarge the hole to be able to find it after I let the air out.
Old 03-28-18, 01:48 PM
neverquit

Location: Was born and raised in Philadelphia, PA. For the past 30 years we have been living in Fort Smith, AR

Bikes: Two road bikes, Zanes and Specialized.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cambiker71
I carry a spare tube and a tiny repair kit, all the puncture repair kits here in the uk (all the ones i've bought anyway!) include a small cube of chalk, a few different sized patches and a small tube of glue, i add a postage stamp size bit of sandpaper and it's good to go if i'm unlucky enough to have used the spare tube and get another puncture.
The kits cost about £1 so if you've used the glue once throwing it away for another kit is simple enough.

Thanks!...Didn't even know that patch kits included chalk....Need to look for that.
Old 03-28-18, 01:49 PM
neverquit

Location: Was born and raised in Philadelphia, PA. For the past 30 years we have been living in Fort Smith, AR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skillasw
White electrical tape. Just put a small piece over the hole, when you find it.
Hmmm....Another good idea that is easy, not complicated....Thanks
Old 03-28-18, 01:50 PM
neverquit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
I carry a pocket knife and slightly enlarge the hole to be able to find it after I let the air out.
Thanks, but with my luck, I'd have the tube IN HALF!.....
Old 03-28-18, 02:28 PM
cambiker71

Bikes: lots, new old and in between!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks!...Didn't even know that patch kits included chalk....Need to look for that.
No worries, glad to help
Old 03-29-18, 11:07 AM
rzldzl

Bikes: 2012 Soma Saga, 2020 Black Mountain Cycles MCD, 1992 Univega Alpina Sport

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thermionicscott
i use a ballpoint pen which shows up decently under a good light regardless of the passage of time. One thing i'd like to pass along is that instead of circling the puncture, i draw a big and wide "+" through the hole. That helps me center the patch in case i didn't make a big enough circle.
+1
Old 03-29-18, 12:13 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Black sharpie. I wonder why tubeless is so popular?
Old 03-29-18, 12:44 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Sidebar, but for me the big plus of tubeless is really the fact that sealant means I don't have to worry about goatheads on the trail anymore. For my road/commuter, I just squirt some sealant into my tubes.
Old 03-29-18, 02:39 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,618 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Black sharpie. I wonder why tubeless is so popular?
Is it? It's certainly *gaining* popularity, (up from zero a few years ago), but it still seems kind of fringe to me.
Old 03-29-18, 02:45 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

It's almost as de rigueur as disc brakes in the MTB world
Old 03-29-18, 09:24 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
I am surprised to find that someone else uses toothpicks too. If I don't have toothpicks handy, a ball point pen or my thumb.
Old 03-30-18, 09:14 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Is it? It's certainly *gaining* popularity, (up from zero a few years ago), but it still seems kind of fringe to me.
Not fringe. Most every mt bike sold can be set up tubeless. Fat bike too. Need tubeless ready rims and tires. Seem perfect application for those cross bike types. 1 flat in 4 years for the mt bike and fat bike. No pinch flats, no flats from thorns either. No tubes. Works really well for me. YRMV.
Old 03-30-18, 10:56 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I carry two tubes and three CO2 carts. I'm not going to patch on the road.
(or one spare tire for the tubular wheelset)

I've had three flats on the same ride TWICE in 35 years of riding... I can live with those odds.
+1
Never had 3 flats yet, but 2-3 rides with 2 flats. 2 tubes, 2 C02s, and small pump (water bottle cage mounted), and 2 self-adhesive patches in my wallet. The self-adhesive patches and pump are for the mythical 3rd flat. The pump has also been useful for the newbie group riders who only brought 1 C02 and didn't know to check/clean their tire for what caused the original flat.
Old 10-19-23, 08:40 AM
mcarrington

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I carry spare tubes and use them too, but isn't this thread about marking the location of the hole so you can find it when you get home? Is carrying a sharpie on the road really necissary for that and if you are going to patch then why not just locate the hole by pumping the tire?

-Tim-
For the odd occasion where you do have to mend a puncture by the roadside, marking is really helpful. You can easily find the hole when the tube is inflated, but it is really difficult to keep track of it when you are roughening the surface and applying the patch.
Old 10-19-23, 09:55 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 378 Posts
So, I always patch my flats. A lot of the group riders just buy new tubes! Never had a problem with a patched tube. HOWEVER, I do have a problem with after I find the hole, marking the spot so I can patch it!....I've tried pens, felt tipped markers, pencils, you name it, can't find anything that marks the tube so when I take it to the kitchen table to prep the hole I know where it is........What do you guys use? Went to Walmart and a car parts store, nope, they don't have anything.....

Thanks
Lloyd
I blow up the tube and sand the area a little big, then I blow up the tube again and put the cement on, the hole will leave a witish mark on the cement...
Old 10-19-23, 10:51 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,618 Posts
Looks like @neverquit quit posting about 4 years ago.
Old 10-19-23, 11:44 AM
AndreyT

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
I've tried pens, felt tipped markers, pencils, you name it, can't find anything that marks the tube so when I take it to the kitchen table to prep the hole I know where it is...
Not sure what is this topic supposed to be about and why. Tried "felt tipped markers"? That probably includes an ordinary permanent marker. End of story. Problem solved.

P.S. Some people previously mentioned using silver-colored markers, but ordinary red or green marker works perfectly fine as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.