Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Updated Frankenstand mostly done with change

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-21, 07:09 PM
EaOutlaw1969

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I have made many changes to my wheel truing stand, It started out of necessity and at first I was happy with just being able to get a wheel trued and dished.. Well it has now turned into an addition to my old Snap-on tool cart that I have had for more years than I care to remember yet was stuffed under my workbench rusting and catching a bunch of junk. The stand is mounted to a direct tv dish tilt bracket. this allows the stand to tilt all the way down where I could literally sit down in a lawn chair and comfortably true our wheels. However I will have to lower the stand without a wheel on it stabilize it then mount a wheel after I confirm the calibration.
This being said my stand is no where near as user friendly as any of the Park Tools stands.
I added one of the cranks from the Black and Decker workmate to the uprights, It works both arms go in and out yet it is very temperamental and needs to be recalibrated - centered each time I change to different width hubs I think roller bearing washers are in order and some sort of spring tension will help sort that out.
I ditched the cheesy tripod stand to elevate the telltale calipers, in place of the tripod I found a old clamp I never used and surprisingly it works well it worked smoother with the strut rods in place yet it was not strong enough to prevent leak down. I may use the strut rods to help slow down and provide even resistance while tilting the stand.
I bought a couple cheap Dewalt 9' tape measures and used some heavy duty Gorilla double sided tape to mount some Superstrut magnets to the back side of each tape measurer so I can just slide the tapes up or down in or out as needed.
I am sure the wheel truing stand will continue to evolve as time goes by, A few things I still need to order are through axle adaptors and Park Tools ebike hub adaptor which will for good with our CVT hubs.

Likes For EaOutlaw1969:
Old 08-20-21, 07:11 PM
EaOutlaw1969

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Likes For EaOutlaw1969: