Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are Aerobikes worth it?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Are Aerobikes worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-23, 09:19 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,062 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
People break 4 hours on that ride as well. (2900 ft.)
I saw that! Some former world tour pros and continental pros on that list. I still think a sub 5 hour time is pretty fast for a rec rider. One of my friends who did it more than once is a former college lineman and the lightest I've seen him is 265#. The definition of an ox.
Old 06-19-23, 09:54 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
Not pros, just solid riders. (I did a 4:13 and I'm very, very, very far from pro level.) Regardless, 2600 ft. is a very flat century.
That sub 4 hour list is made up of all sorts of ex world tour pro's and, current racers and crit racers. Like guys that won stages at the grand tours, won monuments, completed 17 TDF's...

I follow Hincapie on Strava, saw his 3:55 at the last Tuscon - 330W average for 4 hours. Weee bit more than a "solid" rider required for that sort of effort. Elite may be a better word.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 06-19-23, 10:09 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,309 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
That sub 4 hour list is made up of all sorts of ex world tour pro's and, current racers and crit racers. Like guys that won stages at the grand tours, won monuments, completed 17 TDF's...

I follow Hincapie on Strava, saw his 3:55 at the last Tuscon - 330W average for 4 hours. Weee bit more than a "solid" rider required for that sort of effort. Elite may be a better word.
Hincapie was likely on the front a lot of that time. I averaged only 217 W when I did a 4:16 century (4:13 was a typo). I was on pace to break 4:00 (26.2 mph at 70 miles with a 234 W average), but made an error when we turned into a crosswind section and got guttered out of the echelon. Those power levels are attainable by a lot of cyclists. It's all about efficient group riding.
Old 06-19-23, 11:20 AM
Jughed

Hincapie was likely on the front a lot of that time. I averaged only 217 W when I did a 4:16 century (4:13 was a typo). I was on pace to break 4:00 (26.2 mph at 70 miles with a 234 W average), but made an error when we turned into a crosswind section and got guttered out of the echelon. Those power levels are attainable by a lot of cyclists. It's all about efficient group riding.
I need better drafting partners and an aero bike!!!
Old 06-19-23, 11:41 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Not pros, just solid riders. (I did a 4:13 and I'm very, very, very far from pro level.) Regardless, 2600 ft. is a very flat century.
Flat like a pancake! I can't find any century itinerary under 5000ft where I live. With no or low wind speed, the average speed of a group of solid riders must be crazy!
Old 06-19-23, 12:09 PM
Jughed

Originally Posted by eduskator
Flat like a pancake! I can't find any century itinerary under 5000ft where I live. With no or low wind speed, the average speed of a group of solid riders must be crazy!
Flat like a pancake are our centuries in lower Delaware. My last one was 1200' total, with 300' of that going over one bridge 4 times. But we have 20+mph headwinds coming off the ocean most of the rides.

Y'all are selling me on an aero bike.
Old 06-19-23, 12:13 PM
big john

I need better drafting partners and an aero bike!!!
You need to lose weight and get shorter.
Old 06-19-23, 12:23 PM
Jughed

Originally Posted by big john
You need to lose weight and get shorter.
Dammit man, I thought an aero bike is all I needed.

Reality - 6', 190#, wide shoulders - 280W gets me 23 mph.
Old 06-19-23, 12:24 PM
eduskator

Try narrower bars before a N+1, your wallet can thank me later!

Flat like a pancake are our centuries in lower Delaware. My last one was 1200' total, with 300' of that going over one bridge 4 times. But we have 20+mph headwinds coming off the ocean most of the rides.

Y'all are selling me on an aero bike.
In that case, buy a N+1 Aerorace bikes will perform better on flat rides + headwinds for sure.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 06-19-23, 12:33 PM
big john

I'm 6'2", down to 200# , and my back is not flexible. I'm as aero as a brick. People coast away from me on steep descents.

On the other hand, I make a lot of friends when there is a headwind.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-19-23, 02:14 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Once again, that depends on how perceptive a rider is. Can you feel the difference between, say, butyl and latex tubes? We can measure that difference but many (most?) of us can't feel it. Most of us can feel the difference between a 0.5% climb and a 1% climb, but many of us can't feel the difference between a 0.5% climb and a 0.6% climb. Most of us can feel the difference between tires pumped up to 80 psi and 100 psi but without measurement it's hard to know which is faster--lots of riders have been fooled about that.
I'm not the most sensitive cyclist. But, switching from clinchers to tubeless was clearly a difference. So, I guess that's something.
Old 06-19-23, 03:23 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
A pound is a pound!

500kms so far and I am still getting used to my N+1 Aero Race bike (Propel) which is 1lbs heavier than my all-around climbing bike (TCR). The difference is noticeable when you switch from one to another.
So after 500km, what are your thoughts now? When do you pick your Aero bike to ride vs. your all round climbing bike? Is the distance of the ride a factor? For example if you are going out for 3+ hours, you go for the all around bike, and anything under 3hrs you go for the aero bike?
Old 06-20-23, 03:36 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
So after 500km, what are your thoughts now? When do you pick your Aero bike to ride vs. your all round climbing bike? Is the distance of the ride a factor? For example if you are going out for 3+ hours, you go for the all around bike, and anything under 3hrs you go for the aero bike?
IMO with all-around or light weight aero bikes, I would go aero all the time. If your complete aero bike is 16lbs-17lbs I find that more than light enough while having the faster bike.

I think the only reason we have had a resurgence in this debate between aero vs light weight is because aero bikes have ballooned is size and electronic 12 speed has added weight and it was wasn't uncommon to see 19lb aero bikes in the past. Also, for a little while the Aethos broke the idea that ALL bikes need to follow the UCI weight rules, but it's clear that the new Scott Foil RC, Giant Propel, Crevelo Soloist, and Specialized Tarmac SL 7 are proving that aero doesn't have to mean boat anchor like weight and that bikes can be multi faceted

Last edited by Jrasero; 06-20-23 at 03:41 PM.
Likes For Jrasero:
Old 06-20-23, 08:55 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
The standard for what is considered hilly varies with the rider but many agree on 100 feet per mile being pretty hilly. So the example given of 2600 feet in 30 miles is significant.
2600 feet over 60 miles would not be considered hilly but there's more to it than that. If there is a 1000 foot climb in the last 5 miles after hammering the rest of the ride it's going to be noticed. If the 2600 feet is spread out over the 60 miles with nothing steep it's going to feel like a flat ride.
Indeed. I do a triathlon out here in October that's a point-to-point ride. I've learned to only do the sprint, not the Olympic. Main reason is the last six miles of the bike route, regardless of sprint or Ollympic, is a 1300ft climb. Even at the end of October, the temperature in Vegas can be unbearable. Heat plus constant incline is just sadistic.
Old 06-20-23, 09:11 PM
big john

Originally Posted by VegasJen
Indeed. I do a triathlon out here in October that's a point-to-point ride. I've learned to only do the sprint, not the Olympic. Main reason is the last six miles of the bike route, regardless of sprint or Ollympic, is a 1300ft climb. Even at the end of October, the temperature in Vegas can be unbearable. Heat plus constant incline is just sadistic.
Especially a hot climb with a slight tailwind so you just bake.
Old 06-20-23, 09:16 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Especially a hot climb with a slight tailwind so you just bake.
Yes. I have experienced that. ~10mph tailwind while climbing makes the air feel steady. No relief at all.
Old 06-22-23, 07:51 AM
bruce19

The bike is and feels heavier; it's harder to accelerate and maintain a certain speed, especially when climbing.

More efficient at higher speed though.
I saw a GCN video in which 3 riders rode a course on an aero bike and a traditional bike. The course had a climb, descent and flats. One of the riders actually climbed faster (marginally) on the aero bike. I've also seen that the aero effect begins at something like 10 mph and the disadvantage of climbing depends on elevation %. As if it wasn't confusing enough for me.
Old 06-22-23, 08:09 AM
eduskator

Yes, lots of factors to consider... The most important one being how you feel on the bike though

I watched this video but it's not really scientific since it wasn't the same individual who did the same route 3 times on 3 the bikes. Even then, fatigue and other external factors (IE wind) could have biased the test.
Old 06-22-23, 08:17 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I saw a GCN video in which 3 riders rode a course on an aero bike and a traditional bike. The course had a climb, descent and flats. One of the riders actually climbed faster (marginally) on the aero bike. I've also seen that the aero effect begins at something like 10 mph and the disadvantage of climbing depends on elevation %. As if it wasn't confusing enough for me.
This analysis from Swiss Side has been posted on a few other similar threads. It covers the physics and relative importance of aero, weight and wheel rotational inertia on different course profiles. The conclusions are pretty clear.

https://www.swissside.com/blogs/news/aero-vs-weight
Old 06-22-23, 08:24 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by PeteHski
This analysis from Swiss Side has been posted on a few other similar threads. It covers the physics and relative importance of aero, weight and wheel rotational inertia on different course profiles. The conclusions are pretty clear.

Thanks
Old 06-22-23, 09:07 AM
eduskator

This is a wheel test though, not a aero race bike VS all-rounder / climbing bike. In fact, they don't even mention what bike was used.
Old 06-22-23, 11:05 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
This is a wheel test though, not a aero race bike VS all-rounder / climbing bike. In fact, they don't even mention what bike was used.
It's a test of aero vs lightweight climbing wheels. Weight difference is 435g. That's almost 1 lb, which is about the difference between an aero and climbing bike at the same tier level. The aero effect would be even more dominant if you were comparing aero vs non-aero frames in addition to wheels.

For me the only real potential downside of an aero bike is less comfort on long events. That's the only reason I prefer my Endurace over an Aeroad. A lot of the pros just ride their aero bike everywhere and tests like this show why.
Old 06-22-23, 12:47 PM
Jughed

It's a test of aero vs lightweight climbing wheels. Weight difference is 435g. That's almost 1 lb, which is about the difference between an aero and climbing bike at the same tier level. The aero effect would be even more dominant if you were comparing aero vs non-aero frames in addition to wheels.

For me the only real potential downside of an aero bike is less comfort on long events. That's the only reason I prefer my Endurace over an Aeroad. A lot of the pros just ride their aero bike everywhere and tests like this show why.
The climbing wheels looked to be pretty aero as well. I imagine the delta would be even larger if they used lightweight rims with a more traditional box profile.
Old 06-22-23, 01:14 PM
bruce19

I had one of those "What the hell" moments and bought this bike: https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bi...n-product-grid

They didn't have it in the Alpecin blue but grays are really my colors anyway.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 06-22-23, 01:23 PM
eduskator

I would like to read data on this, do you have some? I am curious since I feel slower on my Aerorace bike as compared to my climbing bike. Both are equally equipped, but the Aerorace one is roughly 1.25lbs heavier. As an example, I did one of my favorite ride around where I live twice last week with my 2 bikes and with sufficient rest between both rides.

Distance : 80.20km (49.9mi)
Total elevation: 778m (2552ft)
Direction : North all the way up, then South all the way back.

2021 Giant TCR Pro 0 with 42mm wheels (7.5kg)
Power: 212w (measured with a Giant Power Pro PM)
Average speed: 30.4kph (18.9mph)
Wind: 12.9kph (8.06 mph) NNW

2023 Giant Propel Pro 0 with 50mm wheels (8.07kg)
Power: 202w (measured with a Giant Power Halo PM)
Average speed: 29.8kph (18.5mph)
Wind: 19.8kph (12.37mph) ENE

I had a headwind going up on the first ride and a backwind going down, most of the time
I had a side wind going up and down on the 2nd ride, most of the time

Are there any stats geek on this forum that could help me figure out how to compare apples with apples here?

Last edited by eduskator; 06-22-23 at 01:32 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.