Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Favorite Road Cycling Event

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your Favorite Road Cycling Event

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-23, 03:11 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
One of my favourites was the Rocky Mountain 1200.
Old 06-15-23, 06:58 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
STP's OK, but nothing spectacular. Somewhat ordinary scenery. IMO the only fun way to do it is as a one-day. That's more interesting.

In Washington, RAMROD (Ride Around Mt. Rainier in One Day, 154 miles, 9500') is a spectacular ride. Downside is that it's limited to 800 riders so there's a lottery now. It used to be it was less popular and you only had to sign up. Oh well. It's too late to sign up for this year, but keep it in mind for next year. I've ridden it many times, really fun, well supported.
RAMROD
RAMROD looks nice! There will be much to choose from next year... and the year after that... and the year after that...
Old 06-15-23, 07:09 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Originally Posted by Machka
One of my favourites was the Rocky Mountain 1200.
That looks like a cool ride, but 1,200 km may be a bit more than I can chew at this time. I am usually limited with how much time I can take off for these cycling mini-vacations. My wife has three months off a year from work and I usually have 2-3 weeks total. I find it difficult to tell her I'm taking a full week off to spend with my bike rather than spending it with her. But she knows how much I enjoy riding, so I usually try to leave and be back within 4 days. I extended it last year when I went to the Bourbon Burn, being gone for five full days (including travel). My wife didn't mind, but I missed her too much for that long.
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 06-15-23, 07:18 PM
Bassmanbob

Update: Due to our family vacation and work obligations, I'm limited to doing a short cycling trip in August or September. Most of the rides I've seen are either June or July, so those may be for next year. I'm currently looking at the Ride Across Wisconsin (RAW). It's a double century plus at 235 miles with a one or two day option. If I do it, I'm shooting for the one day option to cut back on time away from my wife, time away from work and an extra hotel night. If I do the one day option, I can fly out after work Thursday, Friday I assemble my bike and take their bus to the start, Saturday do the ride and pack up my bike and fly home Sunday. It's a tight schedule, but I'd be back to my wife Sunday night and back to work Monday morning.

I plan to make a decision by Monday.
Old 06-17-23, 04:16 AM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
I've only really done 1 and that one u did twice. The 2 day Enbridge Ride To Conquer Cancer.

​​​​​​IT is a 2 day ride from Toronto to Niagara Falls here in Ontario. We rode from Toronto to Hamilton ON on day 1 (approx 107km)then. Camping overnight in Hamilton ON then on to Niagara Falls on day 2 (approx 110kn).

​it is a lot of fun and there were3tons of great people along the way.

The reason I won't do it again is that raising $2500 in order to ride was really difficult and I. Don't want to go through it again.

I have also volunteered at the ride.

― Bruce Lee
Likes For baj32161:
Old 06-19-23, 03:39 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
+1 on RAMROD. I have done the ride five times. As mentioned earlier the ride used to be a lot less popular than it is now. Definitely a challenging ride. If you are lucky enough to win the lottery go for it. And hope for nice weather.
Old 07-11-23, 05:06 AM
thegruyere

Bikes: 70s Atala, 15' Surly Disc Trucker, 90' Merlin Road Ti, 99' IF Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 5 Posts
Montreal's tour de l'ile and the NYC TD five boro tour
Old 07-13-23, 11:18 AM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 75 Posts
Here you go. Wicked good race In beautiful Yukon Territory, British Columbia, and Alaska. Bring your passports for border crossings.

https://kcibr.org/

Mike
Likes For IcySwan1:
Old 07-13-23, 03:34 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
Discover Hudson Valley Ride up in Poughkeepsie NY. Beautiful views of the Hudson. Many different millage options, lunch and breakfast included , free hydration and snacks, this year free beer. I usually go up with the wife the night before and visit a winery or orchard. Even if you don't want to do the event I highly recommend getting up there and riding the Ducthess Rail Trail. If you are located in Westchester NY or NYC you can take the Metro North up there. From lower/mid Westchester it's a 40-50 minute drive
Likes For Jrasero:
Old 07-13-23, 03:38 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by thegruyere
Montreal's tour de l'ile and the NYC TD five boro tour
I did the TD Five Boro this year and while it's a bucket list thing to say you road around all five boros car free, I don't think I would ever do it again. Getting there is a pain and getting home is terrible even if you park in Staten Island and drive back. For the price you really don't get much compared to other events and I would say the skill level is a little too broad and at least in Manhattan it's pretty cramped
Old 07-29-23, 09:35 AM
Bassmanbob

Update: As a result of this thread, I'm doing the Ride Across Wisconsin this year and plan to do STP (Seattle to Portland) next year. Those look like great rides. A lot of the other rides looked really good too, but I'm going with those right now. As I said previously, Death Ride is on my short list for the future.