Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike might be too small - solutions?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bike might be too small - solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-23, 07:32 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
You probably think going in the dryer is impractical, but....

(I have done this in my younger days, once)
Old 06-18-23, 07:32 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
There are only three contact points on a bike. Seat, bar and pedals.
I feel the need to mention that a drop bar has multiple positions, each of which can be independently adjusted if needed (stem length, stem rise, bar reach, bar drop, bar width, along with bar shape). It took me a long time to figure out that I could keep my tops where I wanted them and still feel less stretched out in the drops by getting a bar with a shorter reach.
Old 06-19-23, 03:37 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The stack and reach measurements of your 2 bikes are vastly different and make it clear why you feel like your new bike is cramped.
Really the stack height. 30mm less stack height is, for me, quite noticeable.

If you reduce stack, you effectively increase reach. With that said, if you are hunched over more, that can mice the feeling of being cramped, even if you reach more as a result.
This I think explains a portion of my problem. After 46,000+km my body is used to the stack height of the G7. Switching to the Aerolight, with a vastly different set of measurements, has me feeling cramped. As you said, 30mm is quick a change in height. And yeah, I am feeling more hunched over. I asked Ms. NoWhammies what she thought of my riding position on the weekend and she thought I looked fine. So maybe (?) the feeling of the bike being too small is all in my head?

Originally Posted by primov8
The set length of the integrated stem is going to be an issue. You can only do so much with saddle adjustments in regards to setback position but you really don’t want to over compensate having the saddle too far back. The last thing you want is physically changing your hip position which can lead to making your glutes and hamstrings work harder and even affecting your pedal stroke due to the saddle being pushed too far back.

Is the integrated stem/handlebar a proprietary component from BH?
Well I have not moved the saddle since starting this post. The bike fitter did not change the saddle position so I thought I would leave the saddle in place and see how the rides go for a bit. To your point I am concerned about moving the saddle too far back and experiencing other issues/problems. And no, I do not think the handlebar is proprietary to BH.

Originally Posted by Iride01
You say you feel "cramped". But is that just a feeling or perception?

If you aren't having any pains or other physical issues, then maybe you'd do better to look at and compare your performance data between the two bikes. Perhaps the one you feel cramped on is something you just need to get use to if your numbers are better on that bike.
Might be just perception. As I mentioned above I asked Mrs. NoWhammies to look at me this weekend and she thought I looked fine on the bike. So maybe the feeling of being cramped is all in my head. Of interest though when I am in the drops I can just barely see the front hub. Just the slightest bit of it. I will have to pull up some numbers to check out the performance data between the G7 and the Aerolight.

Originally Posted by urbanknight
This 100%! I personally use a plumb bob from the tip of the saddle and measure where it points on the chain stay to the center of the BB, but there are multiple ways to do it.
Will give that a shot. Thanks.

Originally Posted by PeteHski
The problem here is that the new bike has a much lower frame stack and adding spacers (if the steerer tube is even long enough) will reduce reach further because of the sloping head angle. Normally you would compensate with a longer stem, but if the new bike has an integrated stem then that's a relatively expensive change.

Basically the new bike has a much more aggressive fit than the old one i.e. way lower stack for an equivalent reach. The XL frame would compensate for the stack height, but then the reach could well be too long. I would question if this is the right bike for your fit preferences (assuming you don't want a more aggressive fit than your current bike).
This is a good point too. I may have misjudged the extent of the aero-ness of the new bike compared to what I was riding. Which is kind of frustrating too. At the moment I can really climb on my G7. And when I give the bike the beans, the bike moves. I am not getting the same feeling from the Aerolight. Yes the bike descends nicely, but so far I have no been able to get the same feeling of 'umph' with the new bike. For example when I am standing out of the saddle I feel much more over the front wheel. Likely because of the shortened stack compared to the G7.
Old 06-19-23, 04:14 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10442 Post(s)
Liked 11,915 Times in 6,102 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
This I think explains a portion of my problem. After 46,000+km my body is used to the stack height of the G7. Switching to the Aerolight, with a vastly different set of measurements, has me feeling cramped. As you said, 30mm is quick a change in height. And yeah, I am feeling more hunched over. I asked Ms. NoWhammies what she thought of my riding position on the weekend and she thought I looked fine. So maybe (?) the feeling of the bike being too small is all in my head?

Well I have not moved the saddle since starting this post. The bike fitter did not change the saddle position so I thought I would leave the saddle in place and see how the rides go for a bit. To your point I am concerned about moving the saddle too far back and experiencing other issues/problems. And no, I do not think the handlebar is proprietary to BH.

Might be just perception. As I mentioned above I asked Mrs. NoWhammies to look at me this weekend and she thought I looked fine on the bike. So maybe the feeling of being cramped is all in my head. Of interest though when I am in the drops I can just barely see the front hub. Just the slightest bit of it. I will have to pull up some numbers to check out the performance data between the G7 and the Aerolight.

Will give that a shot. Thanks.

This is a good point too. I may have misjudged the extent of the aero-ness of the new bike compared to what I was riding. Which is kind of frustrating too. At the moment I can really climb on my G7. And when I give the bike the beans, the bike moves. I am not getting the same feeling from the Aerolight. Yes the bike descends nicely, but so far I have no been able to get the same feeling of 'umph' with the new bike. For example when I am standing out of the saddle I feel much more over the front wheel. Likely because of the shortened stack compared to the G7.
Maybe have Ms. NoWhammies take pics? If you have a trainer, set each bike up in it, ride for a few minutes to get in the groove, and then have her take pics with you on the hoods and in the drops. Speaking of "drop", try measuring from floor to top of saddle, and floor to top of bars on both bikes, and subtract the former from the latter. That'll give you the ACTUAL bar drop, which the frame's Stack measurement will only hint at.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-19-23, 04:44 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I think you said you've used a professional fitter in addition to the Mrs? What did or does the fitter say when you talk about how the new bike feels? Any solutions offered?
Old 06-20-23, 12:10 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
The bike fitter thinks the bike is too small for me. This is what started my whole obsession and my post here. Could be too that the bike designed for a young person who is more flexible over long distances than I.