Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why no N x 1 instead of 1 x N?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why no N x 1 instead of 1 x N?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-23, 10:03 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
It’s heavy and reduces drivetrain efficiency and the industry is moving toward 1xN drivetrains anyway. So I guess the big players don’t see a viable case.
I guess not, and I presume it’s been looked at. But it appears to bring the best cases of 1x (you can use a single narrow-wide chainring, no issues with front retention) and 3x (you can have a close-spaced cassette and still have wide range)

I would argue that having a smaller cassette might even offset some of the weight penalty, too.

We saw at least one company in recent years throw a lot of marketing budget and effort into a rear hub that mixed internal gearing with rear derailleur shifting, and call it a “front derailleur killer.”
Old 07-19-23, 10:19 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
This.

You are overly dismissive of the work that other people did. It's weird arrogance from an internet nobody.

Note that the "we" doesn't include you because you are the one saving the day with your "great" new idea. You have no basis for accusing other people of "doing the same thing" and "stagnating" just because you came up with some idea. "Bad ideas" aren't not "doing something different" anyway. Unless, you execute the bad idea.

No, not "just" that. The problem is that you don't seem to know enough about what you are talking about and the rest of us are stuck having to read it.
oh please! at least one ME here has stated he was not insulted etc. stop arguing for the sake of arguing. my comments were quite simple and not meant to insult anyone. now leave me alone.
Likes For spelger:
Old 07-19-23, 10:32 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by kyselad
My question was why the function of the FD didn’t develop more along the lines of the RD (e.g. putting the FD on the unloaded side) given the mechanical advantage of downshifting in front, though I appreciate there are various reasons this may be impractical.
The fundamental flaw with that idea is that to shift from the non-tensioned side, you have to move the chain after it is engaged on the chainring teeth. You'd have to move the chain over, and at the same time, lift it off of the current ring, while under tension.

The way FDs currently work, it doesn't so much pull the chain off the current ring, as it does feed the chain on to the intended one. Once you have enough links engaged on the new ring (about 1/4 rotation) the FDs job is done, and the rotation of the crank finishes off the rest of the shift, using the chain tension to your advantage.

Shifting "from the bottom" would mean pulling the chain over, and lifting it off of the chainring teeth against the tension which, I imagine, would require a much more substantial and complicated mechanism than existing FD designs.

I suppose you could get around the chain tension issue by backpedaling during the shift, but the whole point of a derailleur drive train is that you can change gears without stopping pedalling
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 07-19-23, 10:52 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
oh please! at least one ME here has stated he was not insulted etc. stop arguing for the sake of arguing. my comments were quite simple and not meant to insult anyone. now leave me alone.
you guys have some pretty thin skin.

my comments were quite simple
They were "simple" indeed.
Old 07-19-23, 11:30 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Anyway ..... lots of very good reasons why having a dozen chain rings and only two cogs is not at all a good idea and not at all an improvement.

Also ... one way of describing the "stagnation" of a long-used machine is ..... "perfection."

If no one has come up with anything better, maybe .... we should be glad we have what we have.

Front derailleurs meet a certain definition of mechanical and engineering "elegance" in that they are ridiculously simple and ridiculously effective. To be "better" a device would have to either shift significantly more smoothly or be even smaller, lighter, and/or simpler, or all of the above.

I am willing to stipulate the electronic derailleurs might be "better" for most uses, even though they are not nearly as simple ...

Sure, there are designs for internal-gear hubs, gearboxes, etc, but in terms of what makes the best engineering sense ..... light, cheap, strong, simple, reliable, effective ..... I am sure some day scientists will concoct some sort of readily moldable, incredibly strong and flexible unobtanium compound which can be used to make bike frames with tubes the diameter of pencils and ten times the strength of steel or carbon fiber or whatever .... and I am sure someday someone will develop a miniaturized, piezo-electric fully automatic bicycle gearbox is smaller, lighter, and more reliable than modern derailleurs ... and cheap enough to be fit on Walmart bicycles. And we will all fly down to Walmart in our hovercars to buy them.

In the meantime ........
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 07-19-23, 11:38 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
There's plenty of room for improvement of gearboxes (weight, efficiency, cost, standardization). Seems like a logical place for the industry to develop THE NEXT BIG THING THAT YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST BUY.
Old 07-19-23, 01:43 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Let’s stop with the accusations and insulting posts. This thread is pretty good and we don’t want to close it.
Likes For StanSeven:
Old 07-19-23, 02:10 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
The way FDs currently work, it doesn't so much pull the chain off the current ring, as it does feed the chain on to the intended one.
It's both.
On upshifts, if the front derailleur were to magically disappear before the chain is meshing with the next ring, the chain would tend to go back to doing what it was doing on the initial chainring.
But on downshifts, the chain needs to drop in height before it can mesh with the new ring. This generally won't happen until after it stops engaging with the initial ring.

I suppose you could get around the chain tension issue by backpedaling during the shift, but the whole point of a derailleur drive train is that you can change gears without stopping pedalling
Changing gears without stopping pedaling is nice, but I don't think I'd call it "the whole point." Even a derailleur that requires a large disruption to pedaling rhythm can be far less disruptive than, say, getting off the bike to move a chain to a different cog.

Even when a derailleur doesn't require that a rider stop forward pedaling, they generally work better if pedal pressure is eased off. Various advancements have reduced this, but even modern rear shifting can sometimes get crunchy at full stomp.

Historically, there have been commercially-produced derailleurs that required backpedaling. This was especially true for racing designs from the 1930s, which often put forks or paddles on the top of the chainstay. These designs include the original Osgear Champion, the Vittoria Margherita, and Campagnolo's early derailleurs.

The earliest well-documented commercially-produced derailleur, the Gradient from the late 1890s, used a mechanism to lift the chain off of the rear cluster while changing gear. In some forms of the system, the chain-lifter was engaged by backpedaling.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 07-19-23, 02:12 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
I guess not, and I presume it’s been looked at. But it appears to bring the best cases of 1x (you can use a single narrow-wide chainring, no issues with front retention) and 3x (you can have a close-spaced cassette and still have wide range)

I would argue that having a smaller cassette might even offset some of the weight penalty, too.

We saw at least one company in recent years throw a lot of marketing budget and effort into a rear hub that mixed internal gearing with rear derailleur shifting, and call it a “front derailleur killer.”
I presume you mean the 2-speed Classified Powershift hub, which I really do like but it is very expensive and limits your wheel choices. But if one of the big players took it on along with plenty of wheel and cassette choices then I would be very interested. But a more simple 1x13 is very tempting for me on a road bike and an electronic version can’t be more than a couple of years away. I very nearly built a road bike with Ekar last year, but component availability at the time put an end to it.
Old 07-19-23, 03:00 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Here's an example of box-free thinking about front shifting: the Browning Transmission. Post no. 8 is from an industry guy who gives an insider's perspective.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nsmission.html
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 07-19-23, 03:10 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
This is sort of a shower thoughts question, but why do bikes favor large numbers of gears in the rear vs the front? I understand why many prefer 1x setups, but when I underestimate a climb and need a bailout gear fast, shifting to a smaller chainring is just mechanically easier than having to push up to a larger rear cog.

I’m sure there’s a good reason that we have “1x”instead of “x1” and that rear clusters almost invariably outnumber chainrings, but I’m just curious what that reason is. Would the right foot hit the chain line? Something else?
You just need to know where to look:

Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-19-23, 05:53 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Read the first couple of chapters of The Dancing Chain by Frank Berto to learn about the early days of derailleur gearing (1895~1935) and what was tried, what didn't work, and what lasted.

Last edited by tcs; 07-20-23 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-19-23, 08:15 PM
kyselad
extra bitter

Bikes: Miyata 210, Fuji Royale II, Bridgestone Kabuki, Miyata Ninety

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
You just need to know where to look:

As someone who doesn’t give much thought to how much my bikes and various components weigh, that still looks heavy. Also, it’s gorgeous and I love it.
Likes For kyselad:
Old 07-19-23, 08:21 PM
kyselad
extra bitter

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Here's an example of box-free thinking about front shifting: the Browning Transmission. Post no. 8 is from an industry guy who gives an insider's perspective.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nsmission.html
I’d like to see that thing in action. I can only find one video of it being operated, but it’s not mounted on a drivetrain so sort of misses the point for me.
Old 07-19-23, 09:44 PM
njkayaker

As someone who doesn’t give much thought to how much my bikes and various components weigh, that still looks heavy. Also, it’s gorgeous and I love it.
https://www.renehersecycles.com/comp...ntuple-cranks/

Look at the date.
Old 07-19-23, 09:51 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
The OP isn't talking about triples.

The OP is talking about "many" gears in the front. Given that the current norm for the rear is 10 to 12, you really have to address why there aren't more than 3 used in the front.

Except for really odd examples, 3 appears to be the practical limit.
Yeah, I know the theoretical question was multiple gears in the front. But he also mentioned the mechanical difficulty of downshiftig in the back (moving to a larger sprocket). I was simply mentioning that a "bail out" situation is easy with a smaller front chain wheel compared to a larger sprocket in the back. that's all. I have no illusion that multiple (beyond 3) in the front is practical.
Old 07-19-23, 10:15 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
It was an April Fool's joke from a few years ago. It was very well done.
Old 07-19-23, 10:26 PM
kyselad
extra bitter

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Haha, I actually thought it was some whackadoodle prototype looking for a kickstarter or some such and totally missed the René Herse logo. I still think it would be epic if they made one for giggles.
Old 07-19-23, 11:38 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
The way FDs currently work, it doesn't so much pull the chain off the current ring, as it does feed the chain on to the intended one. Once you have enough links engaged on the new ring (about 1/4 rotation) the FDs job is done, and the rotation of the crank finishes off the rest of the shift, using the chain tension to your advantage
Originally Posted by HTupolev
It's both.
On upshifts, if the front derailleur were to magically disappear before the chain is meshing with the next ring, the chain would tend to go back to doing what it was doing on the initial chainring.
But on downshifts, the chain needs to drop in height before it can mesh with the new ring. This generally won't happen until after it stops engaging with the initial ring.
Wow, thanks for explaining to me what I just said. Maybe I should have been more specific in my language to prevent so much misunderstanding.

I should have specified that FDs don't lift or push the chain down; all they do is move it side to side; preventing it from engaging on the current ring.
The rotation of the crank is what moves the chord of the derailed chain; in a downshift, it "falls" off the side of the ring, until it encounters the top of the small ring; in an upshift, the chain side plates engage with the teeth, ramps and pins of the larger ring, lifting the chain until the rollers start engaging the teeth of the selected ring.
The chainring actually does the lifting, not the FD

Originally Posted by HTupolev
Changing gears without stopping pedaling is nice, but I don't think I'd call it "the whole point." Even a derailleur that requires a large disruption to pedaling rhythm can be far less disruptive than, say, getting off the bike to move a chain to a different cog.

Even when a derailleur doesn't require that a rider stop forward pedaling, they generally work better if pedal pressure is eased off. Various advancements have reduced this, but even modern rear shifting can sometimes get crunchy at full stomp.

Historically, there have been commercially-produced derailleurs that required backpedaling. This was especially true for racing designs from the 1930s, which often put forks or paddles on the top of the chainstay. These designs include the original Osgear Champion, the Vittoria Margherita, and Campagnolo's early derailleurs.

The earliest well-documented commercially-produced derailleur, the Gradient from the late 1890s, used a mechanism to lift the chain off of the rear cluster while changing gear. In some forms of the system, the chain-lifter was engaged by backpedaling.
So, what sort of advantage do these historic cambios offer over a modern derailleur/shifter setup? Freedom from the tyranny of cables?

The movement of a couple of fingers and a half-stroke of soft pedaling should allow almost anyone to successfully complete a gear shift on a halfway -in-tune bicycle. It both higher performance, and easier to use. What's the big design shortcoming I'm not seeing?
Old 07-20-23, 12:12 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I presume you mean the 2-speed Classified Powershift hub, which I really do like but it is very expensive and limits your wheel choices. But if one of the big players took it on along with plenty of wheel and cassette choices then I would be very interested. But a more simple 1x13 is very tempting for me on a road bike and an electronic version can’t be more than a couple of years away. I very nearly built a road bike with Ekar last year, but component availability at the time put an end to it.
Right; I don’t like the Powershift for exactly the reason you say, because it leaves you stuck with one wheel. The BB shifting lets the rider bring whatever wheels they want and just replaces the FD.
Old 07-20-23, 12:18 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Wow, thanks for explaining to me what I just said. Maybe I should have been more specific in my language to prevent so much misunderstanding.
The issue was not specificity, nor do I believe that you don't understand how FDs work. I was clarifying a sentence which, in its context, I think can be read inaccurately. Your description...

"The way FDs currently work, it doesn't so much pull the chain off the current ring, as it does feed the chain on to the intended one."

...is a good description of front upshifts, but can be misleading as a description of front downshifts. "Feed on to the intended one" is suggestive that the front derailleur primarily guides with respect to the destination, but on a downshift, the front derailleur's role is largely around guiding it off the origin.

My objection to your wording was not about how much horizontal versus vertical guidance a front derailleur applies to a chain.

So, what sort of advantage do these historic cambios offer over a modern derailleur/shifter setup?
I don't know; I was not alleging any advantages. I was merely arguing that being able to shift without cessation of pedaling is not "the whole point" of derailleurs, as you had stated.
Old 07-20-23, 02:33 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Leinster
Right; I don’t like the Powershift for exactly the reason you say, because it leaves you stuck with one wheel. The BB shifting lets the rider bring whatever wheels they want and just replaces the FD.
Well that's only an issue while it remains a niche product rather than an inherent problem with the concept. Moving it to the front increases torque and reduces rpm compared to the hub so it might not be quite as slick. Either way you are stuck with a proprietary hub or crank and so it isn't really going to go anywhere unless Shimano/SRAM get involved and it becomes part of a high-end mainstream group. But I think the push to 1xN will probably kill it off in this respect.
Old 07-20-23, 03:05 AM
njkayaker

Haha, I actually thought it was some whackadoodle prototype looking for a kickstarter or some such and totally missed the René Herse logo. I still think it would be epic if they made one for giggles.
Endless reasons it wouldn’t be a real product. Some of which were mentioned earlier before it was posted.
  • Q factor.
  • No derailleur exists that moves that wide.
  • Nothing exists that would move the derailleur (friction would be the easiest option.
  • The market is moving to fewer rings (not more).
  • Not a big enough market or (maybe) way too expensive or too stupid (even) for kickstarter.
  • Etc.
The joke is entirely appropriate here but another give-away is the lack of an actual link.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-20-23 at 03:35 AM.
Old 07-20-23, 05:18 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Camilo
Yeah, I know the theoretical question was multiple gears in the front. But he also mentioned the mechanical difficulty of downshiftig in the back (moving to a larger sprocket). I was simply mentioning that a "bail out" situation is easy with a smaller front chain wheel compared to a larger sprocket in the back. that's all. I have no illusion that multiple (beyond 3) in the front is practical.
Modern drivetrains are so good at downshifting the rear that it doesn't really matter. It was hardly a real problem with older drivetrains as long as you thought a few seconds ahead. I climb walls on my 1x12 mtb and it can easily shift down at the rear even when ramping up steep climbs. So there would never be a need to make a 12-speed crankset just to make downshifts go from a larger to smaller chainring. I think it's safe to say that 12x1 will never exist and for very good reason.
Old 07-20-23, 06:27 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Fashion is not really part of it ... they simply are not necessary for most riders. With 11 or 12 cogs (versus five or six) it is easy to have a wide range of ratios with a double chain ring (or even a single) and with modern indexed shifters, easy to get to any of those gears even under load.
Triples were de rigueur up to at least 10 speed drivetrains. They didn’t fade away when drivetrains when from 6 to 7 speeds nor, for that matter, 9 speeds came around. 9 speed triples were probably the zenith of triple chainring drivetrains.

The added ratios a triple would provide are beyond what most riders would use, and since rear shifting is quicker and easier, there really isn't a necessity for a triple .... maybe for touring, where a rider might want a really low option for hauling full kit up mountains, but for most riders, a triple offers no benefit over a double.

Also, with front derailleurs now handling a 16-tooth spread (or more) as opposed to ten .... (standard 10-speed gearing was what, 52-42x14-34? or maybe 12-25?) I toured flat lands with a 52-42-32 triple and a 34-toorh big cog. Now I can ride a 50-34 with 11x36 and get almost the same range. Only for mountain touring where a 22-tooth chain ring might be needed, can I see a triple really paying off any more ....
While a double may have a similar range…a dubious claim if you want or need lower gears…it’s missing the middle of the gearing that a triple provides. I’m often amazed at people who go on and on about how they want single tooth steps between gears so that they can find “just the right gear” and yet they live with a massive jump in gears between the high and low of wide range doubles. The triple allows for that close range gearing in the large ring as well as the middle ring with the ability to have a low gear for when you need it. Shifting a double is akin to going from fifth to first in a manual transmission. The engine is revving too high when you shift and you either have to slow down to catch up or you have to upshift to find the proper gear.

​​​​​​​I think triples fell out of fashion because most riders simple never used the small ring once they got seven or eight cogs in back.
Again, triples didn’t go away at that period. A lot of the reason that triples have gone away is because racers and racer wannabees have always looked down their noses at triples as for “weak people”. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve read someone here on the forums offer the advice of “just get stronger” when someone finds themselves unable to climb a hill with their gearing.

I have lower gearing and, more importantly, higher gearing than you can get with a 1x or 2x wide range system. I’m not “weak”. I’m smart and know how to design and use a very wide range triple system.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.