Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Volvo: warning(automotive content)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cannondale Volvo: warning(automotive content)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-23, 07:48 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger M
Yes, I did the timing belt replacement shortly after the initial post here. Since then I have done

Another CV axle
Cam position sensor
PCV system service
Chased down some vacuum leaks
Brakes
etc.

Still trying to sort out the excessive turbo lag. It's a nice car, but I like the simplicity of the older 240.
Excellent! Good you got the timing belt and breather box done. As a longtime P80 user/mechanic, sounds about right for troubles and service. I like to do my own CV joints, rehabbing the originals with GKN boots. That is the only option that doesn't fail after only a couple years, in my experience. It's unfortunate that it be like that. At some point your ABS/TRACS light will come on, and you can crack open the ABS module and reflow the solder on a couple pins to fix it for a time. Mine lasted a decade on its last reflow before the lights came on again. Also been battling the incessant evap fault codes. No idea where the leak is, and there are many different variants of evap system so nobody has much of an idea where the tubes all run. Most recently, the fuel filter rusted through. But the body's fine, which is nice. The A/C receiver/dryer also rusted through, so I bought an aftermarket aluminum one and have cold A/C again. There's always something on these old cars!
Old 07-20-23, 05:55 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
[QUOTE=TiHabanero;22958327I found a near garage queen about 2 hours away from my wife and I. With 38,000 miles on the clock it was a no brainer to buy it, thus we did. [/QUOTE]

Like winning a lottery in my books.
Likes For clubman:
Old 07-20-23, 12:31 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
That's a really nice Red Wagon Roger. Missed the original post due to health issues that Summer of 2020, so glad it was revived. Had a few SAAB's over the years, 1st was a 1970 99 sedan, last was an Aero Wagon. The Swede's really do wagons well. My present classic is an 82 300SD Turbodiesel, also simple mechanicals plus being diesel, it has high enough boost and torque to minimize lag. Don
Likes For ollo_ollo:
Old 07-20-23, 01:02 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 147 Posts
Curious about any special badging or anything "Cannondale" about the Volvo. Very cool car.

For example, the Ford Focus Kona had special side trim that looked like a MTB tire. The Saab Gary Fisher had special bumpers and other trim.
Likes For Reynolds 531:
Old 07-20-23, 08:45 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds 531
Curious about any special badging or anything "Cannondale" about the Volvo. Very cool car.

For example, the Ford Focus Kona had special side trim that looked like a MTB tire. The Saab Gary Fisher had special bumpers and other trim.
This one doesn't have any Cannondale labeling on it, but I've seen a couple in my online searches that had a black Cannondale decal on the rear hatch. The original window sticker in the first post here shows what's included in the 'Cannondale' package. I recall someone mentioning that each of these also included a voucher for a free Cannondale bike of some sort(probably a mid range or lower bicycle).
Old 07-20-23, 08:59 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Sweet car, loved my 98 v70xc until the fuel pump decided to go. Bought it for 1k with an engine leaking oil into the coolant. Rebuilt the engine in my driveway and ran it for 5 years till that fuel pump. Regular v70 its a 10min job behind the rear wheel, XC its an hours long job since its in the gas tank. After 16 years of upstate NY winters there was so much corrosion that pulling it all apart to get to the pump would have meant replacing most of it and the suspension was shot as well, cheaper to let go and I'd gotten my 1k out of it over the course of 50k miles. Still not as fun as my 91 240 5sp with turbo conversion, that car could move and sounded sweet.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 07-20-23, 09:58 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
You don't have to drop the tank to change the pump, even on AWD cars! You can just cut a hole in the rear subfloor. Check out Matthew's Volvo Site for the details.

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...194857#p194857
https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...ic.php?t=86382
Old 07-21-23, 06:58 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger M
I had a 1988 5 speed 240 wagon for a bunch of years before this red car. It was a great rig, but after a half a million miles, the rust was working its way through part of the floor pan. I have been casually looking for a clean 240 wagon with a stick. They're not so easy to come by any more.
Not that it would help for carrying bikes but I wonder if a front clip from a 164 would fit, aesthetically? To my eye I looks like it would bolt right up.

(Too many doors for me, the Volvo I'd want is a P1900, good luck with that!)

Likes For tiger1964: