Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why have many bikes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why have many bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-23, 06:02 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
2 every day bikes, one for climbing and the other as backup in case #1 has mechanical issues
1 fendered and heavy rain bike
1 mtb for trails
1 gorgeous steel bike that I just can’t make myself part with.

I could lose two bike but don’t feel the need.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-11-23, 06:07 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX
But why 5??? 😂
- Carbon road go-fast bike, Di2, narrow tires
- Alu gravel bike
- Lugged steel touring bike
- Alu hard tail mountain bike, I dont really need this bike, since I got the
- Carbon full suspension mt. bike.

I use every bike for different things
Old 08-11-23, 07:16 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I'll own as many bikes as I want and wear whatever eyewear I choose.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 08-11-23, 07:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
@OP because there are just too many X's you do know you are on a bike forum correct? Would you go to the guitar forum and ask why do you have so many different guitars?

Bike are awesome but they all do different things. I wouldn't take my road bike mountain biking and vice versa. Plus bikes are awesome, having just one is boring and unless that is truly all you can afford and have space for more bikes the merrier.

Though I am at the point of thinning what I have just to stuff that really brings me the most joy and get more riding. However if I had the budget and the spacing I want I would probably add a bike or two but they would be full custom built titanium bikes with really nice parts on it
Old 08-11-23, 08:01 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Personally I've had 3 bikes for a very long time. But if I had more room and storage options i would probably get another one or two..
Non-responsive.
Old 08-11-23, 08:51 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
Life would be too boring with only a couple bikes. Let's see:

1 carbon road bike that is my go-to bike.
1 steel road bike that is set up on the trainer.
1 carbon gravel bike that gets ridden regularly on its intended terrain.
1 carbon FS XC bike, I usually save it for racing.
1 carbon enduro bike, I use it for the uber-technical hike-a-bike terrain up here in the mountains.

So 5 bikes, I want even more. I do have a pretty nice 25 year old Cannondale CAAD 5 that I never ride, but it's too cool to part with. Full Dura-ace and painted in the Saeco team colors. I could justify adding another gravel bike...gravel riding is a spectrum and not just one style of terrain. I'm also going to be building a lightweight carbon road bike up as my "climbing" bike, to compliment my main road bike.
Old 08-11-23, 09:00 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Basso Ascot. Primo ride with a double, great for rides with no climbs in excess of 5%

Lemond Buenos Aires. Another Primo ride but with a triple to help this old man get up steep hills but still havel closely spaced gears.

Schwinn Tempo. It's tre colori, gotta have tre colori. Also has BMX pedals on it, kinda nice to have a road bike with flat pedals sometimes.

Olde Legnano. L'eroica ready, just in case.

MB-3. Dad's old bike. Plus everyone should have a lugged steel MTB.

Carbon hardtail. Life's too short to ride heavy bikes up steep hills. This is also my flatbar gravel bike.

Ellsworth Joker, full suspension for stuff too rough for a hardtail .

Ritchey Commando fat bike. I've got 3 wheelsets for this one. Used for snow rides, dirt touring, etc.

Kent Glendale single-speed. Beater bike, grocery getter, whathaveyou

There are a couple more, but that covers most use cases. If I lived in a place with UCI-sanctioned CX races I'd probably get a CX bike too.

Almost forgot about the tandem, for tandeming
Old 08-11-23, 09:50 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
I guess I have six.

Soma Fog Cutter steel frame 2x11 hydro disc with 700c and 650b wheelset. Fenders, dyno lights.
Focus Mares CX 2x10. Decent fender mounts. Race wheelset and commuter wheelset.
Trek Domane SL6 carbon that's my new rando bike. Dyno lights, fenders, Selle Anatomica saddle.
Detroit Bikes fixie, set up for commuting with fenders and battery lights.
Trek Roscoe hardtail.
Volae Team high racer recumbent. Two seats: carbon and mesh. Dynohub, but lights robbed for the Domane.

So here's the thought:
Sell the 'bent, keeping the dyno hub.
Sell the MTB. I don't MTB; not sure what I was thinking.
Sell the Focus. I've proven I'm no CX racer.

Keeping:

Trek as my rando bike and sport bike. PBP in a week!
Fog Cutter for dirt, gravel, knock around bike. Backup commuter, backup rando.
Fixie as primary commuter and dabbling into fixed rando. Use the 'bent dyno to build up a new front wheel, and add dyno lighting.

Of course that leaves blank spaces in my garage, and a complete lack of a flat-bar bike
Old 08-11-23, 09:53 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
I guess I have six.

Soma Fog Cutter steel frame 2x11 hydro disc with 700c and 650b wheelset. Fenders, dyno lights.
Focus Mares CX 2x10. Decent fender mounts. Race wheelset and commuter wheelset.
Trek Domane SL6 carbon that's my new rando bike. Dyno lights, fenders, Selle Anatomica saddle.
Detroit Bikes fixie, set up for commuting with fenders and battery lights.
Trek Roscoe hardtail.
Volae Team high racer recumbent. Two seats: carbon and mesh. Dynohub, but lights robbed for the Domane.

So here's the thought:
Sell the 'bent, keeping the dyno hub.
Sell the MTB. I don't MTB; not sure what I was thinking.
Sell the Focus. I've proven I'm no CX racer.

Keeping:

Trek as my rando bike and sport bike. PBP in a week!
Fog Cutter for dirt, gravel, knock around bike. Backup commuter, backup rando.
Fixie as primary commuter and dabbling into fixed rando. Use the 'bent dyno to build up a new front wheel, and add dyno lighting.

Of course that leaves blank spaces in my garage, and a complete lack of a flat-bar bike
Forgot about the unicycle. muni, actually. Not technically a bike though, so doesn't count.
Old 08-11-23, 10:30 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
I have 7, 8 if you count the parts bike. Why? #1 reason is they were cheap..

1 Thermoplastic carbon full suspension bike - Downhill MTB Bike -GT
1 Aluminum full suspension bike - Cross Country MTB Bike -KHS
1 Aluminum front suspension bike - All purpose Hardtail MTB -Trek
1 Aluminum/ChroMoly rigid bike - Mixed frame material MTB -Fisher
1 Aluminum rigid bike - Elevated Chainstay MTB -Revolution
1 ChroMoly rigid bike - Rigid MTB -Fisher
1 ChroMoly rigid bike - Road bike -Raleigh
1 Chromoly rigid bike - Complete parts bike -Diamondback

See...not one is the same..at least that's what I tell my wife
Old 08-11-23, 11:36 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Weekend topic - silly question: why people have many bikes in their stable? If you're not a collector, why have 10-20 of them?
That's a good question. You should put together a 20-bike stable to thoroughly analyze the matter.
Old 08-11-23, 11:42 PM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 2,805 Times in 535 Posts
I've got over a dozen. I've got to have a clunker crap heap I can lock up and leave around London without worry of it it being stolen or vandalized.

I've got to have a MTB for riding off road and in snow.

But the rest of them are all basically the same, road bikes from the 80's and 90's with cool paint jobs that I buy as a frame and then build up. I really enjoy the thrill of sourcing each and every part and turning a pile of parts into a functioning and beautiful thing. This makes each bike bespoke and unique. And then there was the 'I've never ridden a carbon or ti bike, lets try one of those....'

Buying a new off the shelf bike to me seems like missing out on half the fun of a new build project. Also new bikes are ridiculously expensive these days, and to be honest I find modern bikes look a bit boring, samey, soulless and lacking in character, so building up something unique for a lot less money is a no brainer for me. I don't think I'll ever buy a new bike again.

So every year I like to have new project to work on. Maybe as a result of the extra time and effort I put into building a bike I get more sentimental than if I'd just gone into a shop and bought one. And after riding it and having experienced great rides together I definitely develop an attachment, so getting it rid of it after all that seems like selling one of your own children.

I find a new project and bike tinkering is therapeutic, and 100% helped my mental health during the covid lockdowns. I have an addictive and slightly obsessive personality, so of all the vices that could have gripped me, I feel bikes is definitely one of the healthiest options out there, so I am in a happy place.

However I am now at critical mass, there is no more room at the Inn, my small apartment is full of bikes so I cannot take on any more projects until there are some outgoings, its going to be an emotional wrench but some of the children are going to have to be put up for adoption.
Likes For botty kayer:
Old 08-12-23, 03:34 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Why not have many bikes ? Indeed . Because Existence Exists, and Existence Existing is Infinite, including bicycles. Asking why is like looking at the forest and asking "why so many trees ?". Nothing Exists apart from Existence Existing.

Last edited by Garthr; 08-12-23 at 03:38 AM.
Old 08-12-23, 07:16 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
I have loved bikes for 70 years. Now long retired I have 24 but 6 are for the kids and grandkids when they visit. I am fortunate to have a hanger w/o a plane so plenty of room. I have to do things like keep the tires treated with Aerospace 303 or I would never wear them out but as a retired mechanical engineer with maintenance experience I love the time, it is beyond just a hobby. I take great pleasure in my time in the saddle, the care and keeping, the hours of tinkering to improve performance/pleasure.
add spice to life. Life will feel like a chore and tedious process without them. But, on the other hand, they both make you feel happy and fulfilled and accomplish specific roles in your life. Any activity can become a hobby or passion; it depends on how much time and emotional investment you are willing to make for something. A hobby can turn into a passion and vice-versa. How you want to treat an activity will dictate whether it becomes a hobby or a passion for you. If you only want to do something to relax and have fun, then it should stay as a hobby. However, if you're going to get serious and become better at doing something and plan to turn it into a career, it will be better to become a passion.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 08-12-23, 07:25 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
"Variety’s the very spice of life,
That gives it all its flavour."
-William Cowper
Old 08-12-23, 07:33 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 998 Times in 525 Posts
I have different bikes for different rides.
A couple are dupes, but most are different.
Single speed drop bar - Raleigh Gran Sport
Single speed flat bar - Coaster brake hybrid conversion
2 speed SRAM Automatix flat bar - Bridgestone "mixte"
5 speed IGH Cruiser - Gazelle Opafiets
8 speed IGh Market bike - Raleigh Grandier Sportier
9 speed All-road - Maxwell Hybrid that has been modified to flat bar
2x7 Geoffery Butler Drop Bar road
2x9 Witcomb Drop bar road bike with front and rear bags
2x10 Fuji Drop Bar road bike
3x10 Centurion Pro-tour flat bar touring
others for fun
Old 08-12-23, 07:45 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Weekend topic - silly question: why people have many bikes in their stable? If you're not a collector, why have 10-20 of them?

I personally have one hybrid for most terrains, one mountain bike for occasional rough and rocky trail and one ebike capable going around 35 mph if I pedal really fast.
Not actually a silly question. Most of us have probably asked ourselves the same thing, especially every time we bring a new one home.

Everyone's got a different reason (and the numbers 10-20 are certainly arbitrary) but for me, it just sort of crept up on me. Obviously you need a bike for each type of riding you want to do, but as someone else pointed out, even bikes in the same "category" can be dramatically different. It's fun to ride different bikes and experience the different personalities and characteristics of each. And if you've built or restored them yourself, you sort of become attached.

I've often thought about selling one bike or another, when I'm looking at them all in the garage and realize that I have a lot of redundancy. But then I take the bike out on the road and think "Man, I can't sell this." Plus it gives you flexibility. I bought an indoor trainer and didn't have to worry about having a bike to put on it. I chose the Rockhopper and still have two other MTBs that serve me well as gravel bikes. Also when guests come and visit, between my wife and I we have bicycles for everyone.

I think space is probably the limiting factor for most people. But if you have the room, there's little reason to get rid of a bike that you love just because you got a new one.

No matter the number, if someone has bicycles that they display but don't ever ride, that's a collector. You're choosing bikes for a different reason than their ride characteristics. Right now I'm trying to resist the temptation to buy a 1973 Schwinn World Voyageur in Sunset Orange, just because it's so pretty. I'm sure that I'd ride it a few times just for fun and nostalgia, but it's never going to be the bike I choose to ride over some of my others on a normal basis. I would find a place to put it on display, and now I'm a collector.

If you a have large number of bikes that are neither ridden nor being displayed as a collectible, that's a hoarder.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 08-12-23, 08:00 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 133 Posts
I've thought about keeping a few of my flips and growing the stable, however, I also enjoy when my labor and sweat literally pays off and buyers appreciate it.
Old 08-14-23, 07:39 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
It's in the DNA. Hunter/gatherer, scavenger, hoarder. It can be channeled a number of ways from massively selective to rooms filled to the ceiling with debris.

Best of luck
Old 08-14-23, 07:56 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Personally I've had 3 bikes for a very long time. But if I had more room and storage options i would probably get another one or two..
This is the most wolfchild response of all time.

You make an over the top declaration that judges others(more than 5 bikes is hoarding) and you come to that conclusion because you personally would stop at 5, therefore its hoarding above 5.
Classic wolf.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-14-23, 08:24 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I have a 2250 office/warehouse so space is not a problem. Double digits bike wise. Why? Well, many years ago, I had to quit the team/ball related sports because of Father Time and injuries. So, I became a cyclist/endurance athlete. I started with a hybrid, then got a C&V bike from a Goodwill store and brought it back to life. I really enjoyed that experience. Then I started doing the ride listed below. Each year, I would find an an old steel roadie, fix it up, take 1 or 2 shakedown rides and do that ride on it. Sometimes no shakedown rides. It was/is the ultimate blind test ride. I really enjoy that experience. Never been disappointed with a bike yet. I had to skip the ride this year. I couldn't get the the weekend worked out. I still have this year's bike in que for next year. At this point in my life I don't give a rat's ass about how fast I ride or if I'm improving. All of my rides are recorded by a watch, but only for consumables tracking. I never look at the results. I just enjoy riding bikes, watching the world go by and listening to the sounds around me. Call me Ferdinand the Bull if you want to. If all you're worried about is your performance/results, you can get that fix in other ways that are cheaper/less time consuming. Tomorrow is promised to no one. Just get out and do it, whatever "it" is.

https://www.ymcacva.org/storming-thunder-ridge

Last edited by seypat; 08-14-23 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-14-23, 08:32 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I never planned to accumulate 5 bikes. Here's how it happened: I took a little while to decide what kind of riding I really want to do and find a bike that's well suited to it. Along the way, I somehow collected others. I don't usually buy new, but build them up and customize them to my liking. This process causes me to form an attachment to them, and then I don't want to get rid of them. If I were to sell any of the bikes in my current fleet, I probably could not get a price close to what I've spent on it, or what it's worth to me. Even if I could get past that, I would have a hard time deciding which one(s) to sell. For what it's worth, I've had 4 or 5 others along the way, and sold them. When I find one bike has a lot of overlap with others, or it doesn't suit me well, I offer it for sale. I wouldn't say I took a bath on any of them, financially. But nor did I make money on any.

I ride all 5 of my bikes, but some more than others. I could probably get rid of one or two and not miss them. There are at least two that I'm so attached to, I don't think I could ever get rid of them. I'm 53, and I hope to ride for at least another 20 years. Unless something changes, I'll probably own a few of my current bikes for that long.

The short answer is that I have several bikes because I really like them, they make me happy, and I get good use out of them.

Cars are another matter. Recently, my family owned 5 or 6 cars. How we got there is kind of a long story. They did not make me happy. They cost a LOT of money to maintain, register, and insure. They take up a lot of space at our home. They're a cause of many headaches. I'm now down to four, and plan to get rid of one more before long.

Last edited by Broctoon; 08-14-23 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-14-23, 09:07 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I have one because I don't need two. Remember Then Came Bronson? It was his everyday mode of transportation, and he could remove the fenders and compete in hill climbs.
Old 08-14-23, 09:13 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
Nostalgia. Pure and simple.

Everytime I look at my old rides it reminds me of the great times I had riding them. Fast centuries. Suffering in heat and rain and cold. And also of when I was (much) younger.

Besides, what is a 40 year old Raleigh Pro worth? Next to nothing. But a lot to me.

Someday, when we move to another city or downsize, I will have to thin the herd. It will be a sad day.
Old 08-14-23, 09:41 AM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
N+1=infinity
Not sure of the issue, if a person has 3 or 30 bikes - so be it ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.