Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tires keep blowing

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tires keep blowing

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-23, 09:53 PM
Wyojon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tires keep blowing

Hello. I have a road bicycle with vuelta airline 2 700c wheels in good condition. I have both a bontager black label and an armadillo tire. I keeping putting in bontager tubes from the local dealer, and they randomly blow when I am not riding. All of the punctures are on the inside diameter of the tube over spoke recesses. The spokes are tight, and no where near where the tube is. I have a double wrap of rim tape on both rims. I have tried psi from 80 to 115. I ride on roads and cement bike path. I am 250 lbs. Never get a flat when riding, always while bike is sitting in garage 2 or 3 days after I ride it. I have had this happen with 11 tubes in the last 3 months. Both front and rear wheels evenly. The last tube that went had 4 miles of smooth cement, and was at 110 psi. It blew 2 days after I finished riding. The local bike shop has no idea what is causing this. I have tried two different brands of rim tape.

I would greatly appreciate any help with this issue. I like to ride this bike for commuting, and am always unhappy when i find it has a flat tire before work.
Old 08-26-23, 10:02 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
My guess is that you have a small piece of wire or staple in the tire that finds its way through the tube. Remove the tire and check it very closely, inverting if you have to.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-26-23, 10:23 PM
Wyojon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ir is on the inside of the tube, opposite tire. And happens on both wheels
Old 08-26-23, 10:25 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Try a different brand of tube.
Old 08-26-23, 10:44 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
I am similar in size .... it is possible that when you hit hard bumps the ends of the spokes stick far enough into the rim tape to stress the tubes. That is a lot of force to drop on a tiny metal stick ..... only alternatives would be something stuck in the rim tape (tire wires can get anywhere and hide really well) or ... you are pinching the tubes with a tire lever when installing them ...

or something else entirely.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 08-26-23, 11:00 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
From your description it seems as though the tube is not "blowing" rather it is forming a leak at an area where the tube passes over the location where a spoke is located in the rim. Since the rims on that wheelset are box section rims, the rim tape sags slightly at that location.
Assuming you are using a tube that is not undersized for the tire size, if the leak is more of a slit rather than a hole, try two things.
1. talc the entire tube. This acts as a lubricant and allows the tube to move during expansion and contraction instead of binding on the rim tape and tearing.
2. grease the inside of the tube. This has the same effect as talc.

Another option is to try a tube one size up from the tire size. 700x25mm tire, use a 700x28mm tube. Note that some tubes cover a wide range of sizes, if the tire is at the upper limit of size, go to the next size range.
One more option as pointed out in a previous post, use a different brand of tube that has thicker walls.
Old 08-26-23, 11:08 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 1,046 Posts
Don't forget to pull the tire off and inspect it closely paying attention to the tire bead. Even expensive tire manufactures have lapses in quality control. You could have a defective bead on the tire like a weak area of thickness. I have gotten to the point of using a caliper to measure the thickness and weakness of the beads on a new tire. If the bead rolls during a turn you can get a blowout or a pinch flat.
Old 08-27-23, 04:27 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
I have had two blowouts after riding, both with Vittoria latex "28-28" that seemed too big, like literally for a slightly larger diameter wheel size, that bunched up a little when installing. Both blew suddenly while not even moving, after rides. One was really stuck to the inside of the tire, like it needed talc but didn't get it. Replacements have been Kenda butyl tubes, which seem quite reliable in comparison.
Old 08-27-23, 04:35 AM
Wyojon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
From your description it seems as though the tube is not "blowing" rather it is forming a leak at an area where the tube passes over the location where a spoke is located in the rim. Since the rims on that wheelset are box section rims, the rim tape sags slightly at that location.
Assuming you are using a tube that is not undersized for the tire size, if the leak is more of a slit rather than a hole, try two things.
1. talc the entire tube. This acts as a lubricant and allows the tube to move during expansion and contraction instead of binding on the rim tape and tearing.

Another option is to try a tube one size up from the tire size. 700x25mm tire, use a 700x28mm tube. Note that some tubes cover a wide range of sizes, if the tire is at the upper limit of size, go to the next size range.
One more option as pointed out in a previous post, use a different brand of tube that has thicker walls.
It does tend to have a a slit where it pops.
Where do you get talc? Baby powder is all corn starch now.
Old 08-27-23, 05:22 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
All the tubes have the slit? My experience tells me to replace with a different brand of tube that has thicker walls. What I believe is happening, and I may be way off, but have seen this hundreds of times with thin walled tubes, at spoke hole opening where the rim tape sags (yes, even velox sags) the tube binds on the edges of the sag and stretches the tube into the sag and splits it open because the tube is being stretched too thin. When our shop started bringing in Qtubes from Quality Bicycle Products, a bicycle parts distributor, we stopped seeing this issue. The Qtubes had thicker walls than the Specialized tubes and when the tube was talc'd the problem abated.
Where to get real talc? Not sure where in your area. We have Meijer stores around here and they have it available. It is possible corn starch will work, but have never tried it.
Old 08-27-23, 06:28 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Looking at images of those rims, man - those are some pretty big spoke holes in the rim bed, 'specially relative to the width of the rim; I could see how sag/expanding in to those holes might be a problem.

What kind of tape are you using? I'd be inclined to try:
- additional wraps
- a different tape
- rim plugs instead of tape
Old 08-27-23, 06:53 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
pic assist:
Old 08-27-23, 07:21 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
https://www.google.com/search?q=spok...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Likes For dedhed:
Old 08-27-23, 09:32 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Lose the rim strips and get some correctly sized Velox tape.
Old 08-27-23, 09:49 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
What type of tape are you using as rim tape? Could you provide photos of the failure points? Are there any patterns showing up elsewhere on the tubes from the failure points after they've been installed for a while?
Old 08-27-23, 03:05 PM
Wyojon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I have some of this rim tape over a rim strip that claims to be for road bike pressures
Old 08-27-23, 03:05 PM
Wyojon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I have some of this rim tape over a rim strip that claims to be for road bike pressures
Old 08-27-23, 03:13 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
You have got to be kidding me! It is not just the oil in the grease, but he additive package as well. You may have gotten away with this, but I wouldn't touch this idea with a 100 foot pole.

Also, what is the tire made of? And when the grease migrates onto the tire what will it do?

https://rubber-group.com/wp-content/...patibility.pdf
Old 08-27-23, 03:25 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
A blowout such as this is usually the result of damaging the tube when mounting the tire. Carefully following the best practices approach will minimize this problem greatly. I also avoid using tire levers as much as possible minimize damage to the tube. Most of my life I have used tubular or sewup tires so I needed to learn how to mount clincher tires on clincher rims without damaging the tube.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 08-27-23, 03:54 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
I am going to guess it’s from the way you mount the tire or use the tire lever
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 08-27-23, 04:33 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
OP either lives in a home with a ghost that doesn't like bicycles or this. This could be a situation where the tube is inadvertently pinched against the tire bead during installation leading to failure.

My technique for installing tubes is

1-check tire and rim for sharp edges
2-install tube without tools
3-inflate to 10-15 psi
4-massage the tire around the entire perimeter to ensure that the tube is not pinched anywhere
5-deflate
6-inflate to desired PSI

This is a good puzzle! Hope the OP figures it out.

​​​
Likes For john m flores:
Old 08-27-23, 04:48 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Wyojon
I have some of this rim tape over a rim strip
What are you using as rim strip and tape? Why are you using tape over a rim strip? This sounds very weird, and the sort of thing that might create mounting issues.
Old 08-27-23, 06:54 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Putting a tiny bit of air in the tube before installing (just so that it starts to take on a donut shape) is a good way to help prevent pinches. But I think problems with the rim tape should be investigated.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-27-23, 07:05 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
You're pinching the tube during the install. Are you using the right sized tube for the tire? Eg, are you using tubes meant for 25-28mm tires with a 23mm tire?
Old 08-27-23, 07:13 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
OP either lives in a home with a ghost that doesn't like bicycles or this. This could be a situation where the tube is inadvertently pinched against the tire bead during installation leading to failure.

My technique for installing tubes is

1-check tire and rim for sharp edges
2-install tube without tools
3-inflate to 10-15 psi
4-massage the tire around the entire perimeter to ensure that the tube is not pinched anywhere
5-deflate
6-inflate to desired PSI

This is a good puzzle! Hope the OP figures it out.

​​​

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.