Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Waxing Chain Just Trend or usefull?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Waxing Chain Just Trend or usefull?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-23, 01:17 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
If only I could be like some of the posters here ... possessing all knowledge ... and yet, still needing to ask questions ....
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-15-23, 01:25 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Actually, if you really care about lubing your chain, and you use an oil-based lube ... it is recommended that one leave the chain alone for several hours for the oil to seep into all the spaces between parts.

Sorry you didn't know that.
Yeah, I'm going to have to play the BS card here, too.
Old 09-15-23, 01:32 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Actually, if you really care about lubing your chain, and you use an oil-based lube ... it is recommended that one leave the chain alone for several hours for the oil to seep into all the spaces between parts.
It's not going to take hours for oil to penetrate the small gaps in a chain -- it's going to happen in seconds, or not at all.
Old 09-15-23, 01:35 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
That's absolutely ridiculous to have to wait for so long before being able to take a bike out for a ride...and the faster solution seems to involve stoves, pots and pans, crockpots and double boilers and the wax doesn't even last that long to justify going through such a long process ....No thanks, I'll stick with my oil based lubes.
Well I mean I suppose it's subjective how one considers how long a lubricant application lasts.

If a single application of hot melt wax lasts for almost 900 miles*, to me personally that feels like a long time. But perhaps you relube at much larger intervals?

*Rex** Black Diamond hot wax in dry conditions.
**Rex is a Finnish company btw. They make ski wax too.
Old 09-15-23, 01:43 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
That's absolutely ridiculous to have to wait for so long before being able to take a bike out for a ride...and the faster solution seems to involve stoves, pots and pans, crockpots and double boilers and the wax doesn't even last that long to justify going through such a long process ....No thanks, I'll stick with my oil based lubes.
Cool. I agree on the wait time for drip wax. Seems like you'd have to get in the habit of doing this as soon as you come home from a ride.

Hot waxing isn't nearly as complicated as you want to make it seem. The process has been discussed in this thread several times already.
You do need to buy a crock pot (I got mine for $15), but you just turn it on and stick the chain in it on the hard block of wax. Come back in 45 minutes or so and the wax will be melted, swish the chain around for a minute or two in the liquid and then pull it out.

I've never used a stove, pot, pan or double broiler for any of this. I'm not even sure what a double broiler is, TBH.
Old 09-15-23, 01:46 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
It's not going to take hours for oil to penetrate the small gaps in a chain -- it's going to happen in seconds, or not at all.
Further - wouldn't wet lube just continue to penetrate further into the small gaps as you ride? It doesn't "dry" like wax and moving the parts around seems like it would help this process, not hurt it.
Old 09-15-23, 01:57 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by msu2001la
I'm not even sure what a double broiler is, TBH.
Me neither. But I do know what a double boiler is, which is the correct spelling, and how wolfchild spelled it.
Old 09-15-23, 02:37 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Got it, guys. Sheesh, I got it 20 posts ago.

My point is that when first applied, in its liquid form, when it's wet, before the solvent evaporates, before it's dry... (See where I'm going here?) It presumably can pick up dirt, just like oil.
You apply it hours (preferably overnight) before you ride. Unless your house/garage/workshop is open to a windy sand pit, there shouldn't be any exposure to dust or grime until its dry. Oil, on the other hand is best applied shortly before a ride, so it is still wet to the touch while your are riding.

It's dry to the touch within 30-45 minutes, so you could use it sooner, but a few hours allows the wax that got up into the crevices dry and cure.

The recommended usage is that when you bring your bike in for a ride, you wipe down the chain and apply then and there, so that the next morning, its ready to go.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 09-15-23, 02:38 PM
bbbean 

I know. How long does it typically take to evaporate? I'm trying the second shop tonight, on the way home, and if they don't have it, I'm getting it on-line.
In a pinch, 30-45 minutes. Best results 8-12 hours.

Old 09-15-23, 02:41 PM
smd4

I’m looking forward to trying this.
Old 09-15-23, 02:42 PM
bbbean 

Silca says 12-24hrs of dry time is needed for their "Super Secret" drip wax.

Hot wax is easier in this regard - needing only 10-15 minutes to be dry and ready-to-ride. Hot wax is also simpler to apply, in that you just dunk the whole chain in the pot, then pull it out and let it dry. With drip wax you have to apply to each roller on the chain.
Noting for the record that I use both - I hot wax my chains every 500-1500 miles (depending on conditions), and drip wax as needed to top off (every 100-200 miles) - the appeal of using drip wax is that you won't need to remove the chain and don't need to use the crock pot.

Likes For bbbean:
Old 09-15-23, 02:45 PM
bbbean 

For a guy who says he's never even tried waxing, you sure are opinionated about it, and even have opinions on the various methods of application.

FWIW, I don't like lima beans. Can't stand them. I get a little nauseous just thinking about them. But it never occurs to me to go to lima bean forums to critique the various methods of cooking them or tell other people how foolish they are for liking lima beans...

Old 09-15-23, 02:51 PM
bbbean 

Yeah, I'm going to have to play the BS card here, too.
Google "bicycle chain lube wait"

Old 09-15-23, 03:00 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Oil, on the other hand is best applied shortly before a ride, so it is still wet to the touch while your are riding.
A sloppier outer surface just means the chain will pick up contamination faster. The oil itself lubricates fine whether it's just been applied or has sat around for a couple days.
Old 09-15-23, 03:10 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I'll go with my own experience over what Google says, thank you.
Old 09-15-23, 03:17 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
let's not forget nuclear power plants. that electricity has to come from somewhere.
...& the million plus years and tens of thousands of tonnes of pressure it takes to make the oil. Don't even get wolfchild started on the refining process & the thousands of hours of human effort that takes! So much easier than wax Sheesh! No thanks, brother! I'll stick to the dip in a hot crock-pot & a few minutes to let it cool everytime.

Last edited by base2; 09-15-23 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-15-23, 03:26 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Anecdotally speaking: Since I've made the move to wax, first with Squirt, then to Molten Speed Wax via crock-pot method I have yet to wear out a single chain. Sure, I've changed out a few because I switched out derailleurs or gears or something and the new one was the wrong length for the new configuration ...But to actually wear out a chain to 0.5? Nope. Not a single one.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 09-15-23, 03:46 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Silca says 12-24hrs of dry time is needed for their "Super Secret" drip wax.

Hot wax is easier in this regard - needing only 10-15 minutes to be dry and ready-to-ride. Hot wax is also simpler to apply, in that you just dunk the whole chain in the pot, then pull it out and let it dry. With drip wax you have to apply to each roller on the chain.
It takes less than a minute to apply drip wax to each roller. It definitely takes longer to remove the chain, dunk it in hot wax and refit.

No doubt hot wax is the gold standard, but drip wax is quicker. That’s why I use it.
Old 09-15-23, 04:00 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
It’s not a big deal. There is no reason why you need to wax a chain right before you go for a ride. I just lube it (if it needs lubing) when I clean my bike, which I never do right before a ride anyway.
Old 09-15-23, 04:01 PM
bbbean 

Of course you would. Wouldn't want anyone else's experience, manufacturer recommendations, testing, or published data to cloud your omniscience.

Likes For bbbean:
Old 09-15-23, 04:03 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
It takes less than a minute to apply drip wax to each roller. It definitely takes longer to remove the chain, dunk it in hot wax and refit.

No doubt hot wax is the gold standard, but drip wax is quicker. That’s why I use it.
Seems like the best of both worlds ...
Old 09-15-23, 05:36 PM
smd4

I’ve got enough bicycle repair books in my library, not to mention 10 years wrenching in shops, that Googling isn’t necessary on that topic.
Old 09-15-23, 05:37 PM
smd4

Giant dealer doesn’t stock the Silca. Just placed an online order.
Likes For smd4:
Old 09-15-23, 05:53 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Apparently the suggested wait time is about an hour, no more, some folks say less. Thank you for suggesting the research. (And for those keeping score, about the same wait for drip wax.)
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-15-23, 05:59 PM
Maelochs

This is so quintessentially American ... not saying @wolfchild is American, but the attitude .... "What do those 'experts' know? They think they are so smart just because they spent years studying and more years experimenting?"

I have a friend who is a respiratory care worker in an Emergency Room ... people who claimed wearing a mask for an hour would kill you would come in with Covid, forcing him to wear a mask 18 hours day seven days a week for many months ...

Not every "expert" is a genius, and no one is always right ... but the whole "I have always done it this way so it must be the best way" trope would be really funny if it were not so common. Nothing is so American as Willful ignorance, and at a time when we have more information more readily available to us than any person ever in the history of humanity. In the past scholars would travel for months to meet other scholars to learn a twentieth of a percent of what anyone with a phone can learn in half an hour.

All I cna say is that hot wax with a drip wax touch up is good enough for me ... I may be stupid but I am riding.
Likes For Maelochs:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.