Search
Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Better Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-23, 07:07 PM
dotyj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Better Brakes?

Hi all:

I have my Pacific Cycles Handy handcycle working and have added a Bafang BBS02 kit to it, that was an adventure all of its own. If anyone's interested in what I did, here a link to a playlist of videos I shot.
Sorry, I didn't show the work, mostly because I work at a snail's pace, I don't have a camera person working with me, and most of the time I have no idea what I'm doing.

Now, on to my brake question. I need better brakes. My handcycle came with a Longus rim brake, with a single bolt mount. the rim is about 33mm wide, and the tire is about 38mm wide. I removed the very old brake pads and installed a good set of Kool Stop triple compound brake pads, I also replaced my brake cable. I went from being completely unable to stop my handcycle to being able to stop but taking a lot of room to do so.

Can someone please recommend a better rim brake? I've spent hours today digging through Google and just can't get this answer pinned down other than finding that there are great rim brakes and terrible rim brakes. the bit thing I ran across was many of the great rim brakes seem to only fit very narrow tire sizes of 28mm or less.
Old 09-01-23, 11:38 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts
Some possible options to look at would be a higher quality dual-pivot caliper like a Tektro R559 or Tektro beach cruiser brake, whichever one has the correct reach for your handcycle. On it's own it might not be a huge upgrade, but if combined with compressionless brake housing, it should be the strongest option for a brake similar to the one already on it.

For even more strength, talk to a framebuilder about either having cantilever studs added to the fork, or making a new fork with cantilever studs, and adding a v-brake, or for as strong as you can get, a Magura hydraulic rim brake.
Old 09-02-23, 12:21 AM
dotyj

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you for the advice. I'll take a look.
Old 11-15-23, 09:20 AM
gtharv

Bikes: Surly, Giant Xtc, Salsa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For mountain bikes, especially cross-country bikes, hydraulic disc brakes are also the best option. However, mountain bikers may want to consider brakes with larger rotors, which can provide even more stopping power. Additionally, mountain bikers who ride in wet or muddy conditions may want to consider brakes with sealed cartridges, which will help to keep the brakes working smoothly in all conditions.