Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road bike on gravel

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Road bike on gravel

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-23, 05:16 PM
Friedrich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road bike on gravel

Hi, I just got a road bike and in a trip I've planned there's a small section (1,3 miles) of gravel terrain along a riverbank. Do you think I can make it or should I change my plans?
Old 09-01-23, 06:04 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by Friedrich
Hi, I just got a road bike and in a trip I've planned there's a small section (1,3 miles) of gravel terrain along a riverbank. Do you think I can make it or should I change my plans?

What size tires?

Is it packed in like a gravel road or is big rocks, roots and what not?

Packed in gravel like a gravel driveway should be fine.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 09-01-23, 06:06 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
How long is a piece of string?
Old 09-01-23, 06:24 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Unless you will sink in to your wheels, do it. I have ridden gravel on 25s, no problemo.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-02-23, 02:41 AM
Friedrich

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
What size tires?

Is it packed in like a gravel road or is big rocks, roots and what not?

Packed in gravel like a gravel driveway should be fine.
my tires are pretty slim, 23mm, but the road is a packed gravel with only small rocks, I do it easily with city bikes
Old 09-02-23, 07:41 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Friedrich
my tires are pretty slim, 23mm, but the road is a packed gravel with only small rocks, I do it easily with city bikes
1.3 miles? Yes you will survive. That's like 5 to 7min of riding- you will somehow manage.

As for riding on 23mm tires, unless it's a bike from 20 years ago and there is no room for anything wider, buy some wider tires. There is just no upside to 23s, pavement or not.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-03-23, 05:11 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
You can. I’ve done it on an old Madone. Just make sure the tire pressure is high enough for your weight so you don’t pinch flat. I like the SRAM bicycle tire pressure calculator.
Old 09-03-23, 07:52 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
This reminds me of the "Can I take my 21 foot boat offshore 20 miles". (I kill fish commercially and mate on a fishing boat when I'm not playing with bikes). My response is usually "If you are asking the question, no". The bike will be fine with someone who knows what they are doing. I would go with 25 or 28s if they fit though
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 09-04-23, 03:18 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
For a century riders rode on dirt and gravel roads and "gravel" bikes did not exist. The ones sold now are little different than road bikes but for having less drop with the handlebars and slightly wider rims and 38mm wide tires. The wider tires allow for lower tire pressures and a smoother ride on rough terrain, nothing more.
Old 09-04-23, 10:46 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Calsun
For a century riders rode on dirt and gravel roads and "gravel" bikes did not exist. The ones sold now are little different than road bikes but for having less drop with the handlebars and slightly wider rims and 38mm wide tires. The wider tires allow for lower tire pressures and a smoother ride on rough terrain, nothing more.
Quite the generalization.
Old 09-05-23, 07:07 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
No its impossible. Road bikes are meant to be ridden on the road. You need to buy something called a gravel bike. Preferably the most expensive one.
Old 09-05-23, 07:32 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
Have you looked at the average bike for most of that century? More like wide rims and 30c or wider tires. Though plenty of rural areas still have crap paving that is nothing more than packed gravel coated with oil that roadies still ride with 23c tires so it isn't an unreasonable venture.
Old 09-05-23, 07:41 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Youtube "paris roubaix" and you'll see plenty of 23c racing bikes on cobblestone. Though not the best for the job, it can be used.

I regularly ride gravel tow paths on 32c road tires.
Old 09-05-23, 08:09 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
You will be fine, even if you have to walk.
Old 09-05-23, 08:14 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
"All bikes are gravel bikes"
Based on your description you will be fine and has been stated if you feel a bit nervous get off the bike and walk it.
Old 09-05-23, 10:31 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

'All bikes are geavel bikes' has entered the chat.

Oh good, now we have read all the common responses.
Next I am going to read that all bikes are mountain bikes because some guys rode old clunkers down a mountain in CA. So let's take that Pinarello Dogma on singletrack!
Or maybe we should claim that all bikes are touring bikes since you can rig a rack and bags onto anything.
Old 09-05-23, 11:20 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Next I am going to read that all bikes are mountain bikes because some guys rode old clunkers down a mountain in CA.
Only beach cruisers are mountain bikes.

All bikes with frames made out of gravel are gravel bikes.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 09-06-23, 05:23 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
I’m pretty sure they weren’t all using 23c modern road tyres.

The key point about modern gravel bikes is that they can run wider tyres 38+ mm. Most road bikes cannot, which limits their gravel performance.

23 mm road tyres are a poor choice for gravel, but they will probably cope. I’ve ridden many packed gravel paths on such tyres in my youth and they were okay(ish). I would fit wider tyres if you can.
Old 09-06-23, 05:35 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
It depends on the surface. If it's crushed stone / dust that is well packed, it's fine. If it's something like sand or loose 0 - 3/4, then you may have a problem.
Old 09-06-23, 06:06 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
first check Strava to see if that 1.3 mile gravel section is a segment, then send it.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 09-06-23, 06:57 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

To actually respond to this...
- gravel bikes often have a slacker head tube angle vs road bikes.
- gravel bikes often have a longer chainstay to accommodate the larger tire.
- gravel bikes often have a lower bottom bracket drop to counter the larger tire.
- gravel bikes often have a longer wheelbase.
- gravel bikes often have a higher trail number.

These are not hard requirements, but they are averages. There are gravel bikes that feel like a wide tire road bike(mine) and there are gravel bikes that feel like a drop bar MTB. It's a wide spectrum.
But the real point here is that your claim of little difference beside fitting a wider tire is a terrible take.
Old 09-06-23, 07:30 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
There's a little ~5mi section of unpaved surface that I occasionally ride on. It's flat and has lots of shore birds, so good for a light, relaxing day. In terms of surface, it's hard packed dirt with pea sized gravel and sand for the top layer.

I've ridden it on my traditional road bike (25mm and rim brakes), my new road bike (32mm in front, 28mm in back, disc brakes), and my flat bar gravel (35mm in front with side knobs, 32mm in back, disc brakes).

Traditional road bike: 90-95psi skinny tires weren't the happiest with bumps and ruts, but the bike did just fine. A bit more nervous when changing direction at-speed, but not a big deal. Wouldn't be my first choice, but worked just fine.
Newer road bike: 80psi on the front tire, worked perfectly fine on the straights, no concerns with bumps or ruts that I wouldn't have on a paved surface. A little bit of scrambling on fast turns, but nothing unexpected.
Gravel bike: 60psi on the 35mm GravelKing SK + slight rearward shift in weight made for a more relaxing cruise. The fatter, knobbier tire was definitely more confidence inspiring on the fast sweepers.

I don't think either of the road bikes would be happy with bigger gravel, and even the gravel bike would probably want a fatter tire in the back (just threw a road tire from my parts bin on there). But for small gravel like towpaths and such a road bike is fine.
Old 09-06-23, 08:57 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
There's a little ~5mi section of unpaved surface that I occasionally ride on. It's flat and has lots of shore birds, so good for a light, relaxing day. In terms of surface, it's hard packed dirt with pea sized gravel and sand for the top layer.

I've ridden it on my traditional road bike (25mm and rim brakes), my new road bike (32mm in front, 28mm in back, disc brakes), and my flat bar gravel (35mm in front with side knobs, 32mm in back, disc brakes).

Traditional road bike: 90-95psi skinny tires weren't the happiest with bumps and ruts, but the bike did just fine. A bit more nervous when changing direction at-speed, but not a big deal. Wouldn't be my first choice, but worked just fine.
Newer road bike: 80psi on the front tire, worked perfectly fine on the straights, no concerns with bumps or ruts that I wouldn't have on a paved surface. A little bit of scrambling on fast turns, but nothing unexpected.
Gravel bike: 60psi on the 35mm GravelKing SK + slight rearward shift in weight made for a more relaxing cruise. The fatter, knobbier tire was definitely more confidence inspiring on the fast sweepers.

I don't think either of the road bikes would be happy with bigger gravel, and even the gravel bike would probably want a fatter tire in the back (just threw a road tire from my parts bin on there). But for small gravel like towpaths and such a road bike is fine.
80 psi is pretty high for a 32 mm wide front. Unless you are very heavy, you could go a lot lower, especially when riding gravel.
Old 09-06-23, 10:03 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
80 psi is pretty high for a 32 mm wide front. Unless you are very heavy, you could go a lot lower, especially when riding gravel.
So the details are that it's a Continental Ultra Sport 2, labeled as a 28mm tire, mounted to a 17.9mm rim, filling out to an effective 31.6mm size (side to side). I'm also ~195lbs, so yeah, big guy here.

The bike is normally used on road - typical rides are 25-33 mi with 1,100-1,800ft of climbing, with the occasional ~50mi day thrown in. Hopping onto gravel was just a light-day diversion to see the egrets and other waterfowl.
Old 09-07-23, 04:49 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
It’s 1.3 miles of compacted gravel. You should be able to ride it on 23mm tires. Pick your line carefully if there is any rough jagged stuff to avoid flatting and you’ll be fine.

I used to ride single track on my road racing bike with very narrow tires just as an exercise to improve bike handling skills.

And I’ve done a number of “Roubaix” style races with a lot more and rougher unpaved sections than you’re talking about on a regular road bike without issue.

While there are reasons that a gravel bike is nice for riding gravel, it in no way means you can’t ride gravel on a regular road bike, particularly in small east doses.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.