Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Stan's dart vs dynaplug

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Stan's dart vs dynaplug

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-23, 04:07 AM
Prisoner1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stan's dart vs dynaplug

Which do you best (most effective/easy to insert/actually holds in a remote area) for flats while tubeless road cycling? Please refer me to any existing thread that has this - I saw mentions in various threads on tubeless riding but nothing directly per my topic. Can either be used with any sealant?
Old 09-18-23, 05:17 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
I’ve only used Dynaplug and it doesn’t get any easier than this. They are also a lot better than regular bacon strips in both ease of use and durability. It doesn’t matter what sealant you use with any plugs.
Old 09-18-23, 05:35 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Not a user (I'm more of a carry-a-spare-tube-in-case-sealant-doesn't-clog-the-puncture guy), but I've heard good things about Dynaplug.
Old 09-18-23, 08:24 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
I have a dynaplug racer and have used it a few times. My experience with it has not been great. It's pretty straightforward to use, but only seems to work on very specific punctures on the center of the tire tread, and even then it's a very temporary fix. I couldn't get one to work on a hole that was in the corner/sidewall, and they don't work very well on cuts (like from broken glass).

The last time I used it on the side of the road, the tire would only hold around 40psi without leaking. This was a double flat situation where I had to use my spare tube in one tire, and rely on a plug for the other. Thankfully I was only 10 miles or so from home - not sure that would've worked on a longer ride.
Old 09-18-23, 08:11 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 683 Times in 328 Posts
I've only used the DynaPlug and only once so far. Got a hole in the centre of my tyre that just wouldn't seal fully. Worked a treat and the plug is still in the tyre now and holding fine.

Jammed the tip in then pulled it out
Trimmed the extra off (optional, but my TT bike has limited clearance)
Spun the wheel to get more sealant to it
Kept riding

Now, like has been said above they do tend to work best on certain puncture types. This looked to be a sharp object clean hole. A slashed tyre or sidewall is going to be more problematic with any type of plug. I've heard some of the elite gravel racers will carry a few different kinds of plug (DynaPlug, Stans Dart, generic bacon strip) as some are better than others at certain types of hole.
Old 09-18-23, 08:29 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
The more profile to the tire tends to effect the effectiveness of a plug.
more tire also typically requires less psi, so a plug generally works.
I'm not a fan of the strips.
Old 09-19-23, 04:56 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by tempocyclist

Now, like has been said above they do tend to work best on certain puncture types. This looked to be a sharp object clean hole. A slashed tyre or sidewall is going to be more problematic with any type of plug. I've heard some of the elite gravel racers will carry a few different kinds of plug (DynaPlug, Stans Dart, generic bacon strip) as some are better than others at certain types of hole.
I got a nasty cut once that sealed using 2 Dynaplugs side by side. I also carry a couple of those large Dynaplug mega-plugs, but never had to use one. Superglue can also be effective on cuts.
Old 09-19-23, 05:02 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by eduskator
Not a user (I'm more of a carry-a-spare-tube-in-case-sealant-doesn't-clog-the-puncture guy), but I've heard good things about Dynaplug.
Fitting a tube is an absolute last resort for me. Dynaplugs will save you a load of hassle in most cases. I have never had to fit a tube since going tubeless, to the point that I don’t even carry a spare tube unless on an epic ride in the middle of nowhere.
Old 09-19-23, 08:38 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I have used Dynaplug once and the plug worked like a charm. Finished my fondo and then continued to ride on the tyre for another 200km. I would pushed it even further but I was starting to get a little paranoid that I was going to get stranded out in the middle of nowhere. When I took the tyre off the plug and Orange Seal had sealed the tyre up nicely. I need not have worried. I have no experience with Stan's.
Old 09-19-23, 11:32 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I've never needed one yet but my Dynaplugs have worked 2 for 2 on rides with other people who've punctured. I've heard mixed reviews on Stan's darts.
Old 09-20-23, 04:11 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Getting the right "size" for the purpose does make a difference in the success rate imo.
I stuff the biggest plug in the cut/puncture possible.
Old 09-20-23, 05:37 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Fitting a tube is an absolute last resort for me. Dynaplugs will save you a load of hassle in most cases. I have never had to fit a tube since going tubeless, to the point that I don’t even carry a spare tube unless on an epic ride in the middle of nowhere.
Yeah, I never could justify the 100$ it cost for that little thing (I was considering the Pill (Micro Pro) one at some point which is small and convenient but really expensive). I flat once every 2 years in average so carrying a 5$ tube during longer rides does the job for me. I patch it from the inside once I get home.
Old 09-27-23, 01:28 PM
vtje

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3, 2021 Carbonda Gravel, 2019 Ibis HD4, 2016 Ibis Mojo HD3, 2016 Specialized Demo 8 II, 2015 Specialized P26

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I been using Dynaplug (the cheap plastic one) for many years and many repairs, both road and mountain. The reason I used it so many times - my riding buddies like it so much, they use mine when they flat :-( Works like a charm, just use the biggest plug you can fit
Old 09-27-23, 05:10 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I got a nasty cut once that sealed using 2 Dynaplugs side by side.
A bacon strip is doubled over on itself when it goes in the tire, and hence fills a larger gap; with Dynaplugs, I more often have to shove in two of them in order to stop a leak.

No method is perfect: once, in a hurry, I jammed the Dynaplug into a tire and yanked (hard!) the tool back out of the tire...And the plug tore away from the brass piece and came out of the tire.
Old 09-28-23, 08:35 AM
force10

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
A bacon strip is doubled over on itself when it goes in the tire, and hence fills a larger gap; with Dynaplugs, I more often have to shove in two of them in order to stop a leak.

No method is perfect: once, in a hurry, I jammed the Dynaplug into a tire and yanked (hard!) the tool back out of the tire...And the plug tore away from the brass piece and came out of the tire.
I found the brass heads of the last two I used rattling around inside the tire after the tire deflated again and I hit the ground.
Old 09-28-23, 10:43 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by force10
I found the brass heads of the last two I used rattling around inside the tire after the tire deflated again and I hit the ground.
I recently had a brass head detach inside the tire, but the plug was intact. The only problem was a rattling sound at low speeds...But that brass head won't hurt anything while bouncing around in there.
Old 10-03-23, 07:31 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 1,016 Posts
I've only tried the Dynaplug and only once. Worked as needed, and the plug has about 2300 miles and the tire has about 2800. Has never leaked, but I did put some super glue on the inside of the tire where the plug was inserted.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 10-03-23, 09:28 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Used Dynaplugs for about 2.5 years. Saved my hide 4 or 5 times. Had one slit that they couldn't deal with but also had shoulder & sidewall holes they closed up perfectly. Current rear tyre is holding 80psi with 3 of them in it.
Likes For choddo:
Old 10-03-23, 10:03 AM
vtje

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3, 2021 Carbonda Gravel, 2019 Ibis HD4, 2016 Ibis Mojo HD3, 2016 Specialized Demo 8 II, 2015 Specialized P26

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I used both on road and mtb and IMHO Dynaplug is a lot easier to use with more predictable/better results.
Old 10-03-23, 11:30 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 86 Posts
I am a DynaPlug fan, I’ve probably used it over a dozen times in five years. That said, I bought it before the Dart came out, so it wasn’t an option for me to consider at the time. A riding buddy has used Darts to good effect. I consider a single DynaPlug a permanent fix, I’ve done up to 3000 miles on a plugged tire, though for the last 1000 the brass head was rattling around. I’ve done as many as three plugs together to fix a hole, and have done up to a few hundred miles this way, but it seems holes that need multiple plugs will eventually begin to leak. This is where I wonder if the Darts might be better as they are supposed to react with the sealant and glue themselves to the tire.

As others have said, the DynaPlug won’t fix a slice, but in 17,000+ miles I’ve had to use a boot and a tube only once to get home.
Likes For jimincalif: