Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mystery American made frame from late 80s

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-23, 11:10 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts

I was asked by Bob Freeman over in the CR list to post this:

Hello C&V-ers. I wonder if anyone recognizes from the features who may have made this frame? Note the particular style of the fastback stays, with the edges of the stays defined, and the hidden binder bolt. Also, the wolf-ear lugs. Fork crown is

the Davidson MER innie type. Flush internal brake cable. Campy vertical dropouts. I reckon it is from the late 80s, and likely California-made. Painted by Joe Bell, but he doesn't know who made it. Any ideas?

Mystery American made frame from late 80s | Flickr

Note: Bob's usually the one answering these types of questions, so I'm guessing this is a real stumper.
Old 11-04-23, 11:34 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 219 Posts
Perhaps BG? I don't see any serial numbers in the Flickr pics, but also have't checked the CR thread.

It's sweet as. And that Selle saddle isn't something I've seen before.
Old 11-04-23, 11:47 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I was asked by Bob Freeman over in the CR list to post this:

Hello C&V-ers. I wonder if anyone recognizes from the features who may have made this frame? Note the particular style of the fastback stays, with the edges of the stays defined, and the hidden binder bolt. Also, the wolf-ear lugs. Fork crown is

the Davidson MER innie type. Flush internal brake cable. Campy vertical dropouts. I reckon it is from the late 80s, and likely California-made. Painted by Joe Bell, but he doesn't know who made it. Any ideas?

Mystery American made frame from late 80s | Flickr

Note: Bob's usually the one answering these types of questions, so I'm guessing this is a real stumper.
I don't expect it to help me as I have no idea, especially with Wolfs ear lugs and vertical RDO's, quite a disparity but I think we need to see the underside of the BB and whatever treatment there is.

Looks like interesting cable guide(s).

Assume Jim has been consulted.
Old 11-05-23, 06:57 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,993 Times in 1,778 Posts
IDK, but that's a beauty!
Old 11-05-23, 07:15 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,928 Times in 1,493 Posts
Tell whoever owns it I said "Welcome to the 'It looks like a really nice frame but I have no idea club' "

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-05-23, 07:24 AM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 161 Posts
No clue. Lurve everything but that seat. Needs a SSM Rolls and maybe some a bit better sew-ups. That lug thinning reminds me of Chris Kvale, but that's not intended as an identification. And of course the JB paint is drool worthy.
Old 11-05-23, 07:52 AM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 147 Posts
So many great details and the Joe Bell paint is fantastic. That fork and the workmanship bring Bill Davidson to my mind, would have been something special if it was from his shop.
Old 11-05-23, 08:31 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
Just looking at the seatstay detail... I browsed through some of my old magazine scans, and came up with Erickson and Columbine as possibilities. They were well known builders back in the era of the fade paint schemes. Not sure how you'd ever prove or disprove who the builder is without more details.

Steve in Peoria
Old 11-05-23, 10:59 AM
USAZorro
Seńor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
What if it isn't from an American builder? I have no idea what it is, but why limit the consideration based on a hunch?
Old 11-05-23, 11:21 AM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 329 Posts
Seat-stay work somewhat reminds me of Chris Pauley, but his more ornate work showed less defined outlines. However, he did use a few different styles.

Likes For panzerwagon:
Old 11-05-23, 11:56 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Pretty bike. Some similarities to my Davidson Stiletto (mid 90s) but at the same time, many differences. For the record I do not know how earlier Stilettos differed. Davidson catalogs offered components, including lugs, dropouts, etc. along with frames and bikes.

Crapcam shot.

Not orange in real life.
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 11-05-23, 11:57 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by velomateo
So many great details and the Joe Bell paint is fantastic. That fork and the workmanship bring Bill Davidson to my mind, would have been something special if it was from his shop.
His Signature models were bespoke, so...?
Old 11-05-23, 12:25 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Lets keep in mind that Bob is an expert on Davidson and Erickson as well as most else so he has ruled them out so far.

As Mark said, Bob's normally the one answering these questions.
Likes For merziac:
Old 11-05-23, 12:28 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
Originally Posted by panzerwagon
Seat-stay work somewhat reminds me of Chris Pauley, but his more ornate work showed less defined outlines. However, he did use a few different styles.

Originally Posted by panzerwagon

I'd like to add another vote for Chris Pauley, except I cannot because there just isn't any example of a frame he was the confirmed builder of that matches details of this example.
I have an infamous sample I never got final "ID closure" with that has a unique treatment of the fastback seat cluster with "frenched" seat pinch bolt.

Many folks who chimed in suggested it could have been Tim Issacs (there is some similarity so worth further checks), see the pic of yellow frame; or Peter Johnson (don't see any match there, but I wish!) see pic of one of his, a blue frame

But as for the ID of my frame I finally decided Pauley was the most likely since he seems to have been very unorthodox as far as many of his frames displaying far-different features, plus not "signing" much of his work (unlike most of the other Cali-based builders who have had his level of skills)

detail of the (red) fork steerer "butt" of OP's shows straight 'splines" that i think mean a Tange (or perhaps Ishiwata) steerer and not Columbus...is that a clue?

Final pic is one of my own tomato-red mystery frame, the critical detail I had to cut out (off) was the gap between the seat says has a short "tube" the shaft of the hidden bolt went thru, and a saw-kerf gap in the center of this tube, so when the pinch bolt was tight the gap was closed up and invisible. Sort of a useless feature and when the bolt broke off inside that fancy detail there was no way to salvage it, but was the kind of masterwork that had to be done by somebody highly skilled who wanted to show the world, "just because he could do it".

Tim Issacs seat cluster

Peter Johnson cluster

steerer in OP's fork with fat and STRAIGHT splines

My mystery, maybe Chris Pauley

One more question that may be a clue: those vertical DOs of the frame in question do not appear to be Campy 1060s or another "vert" that I recognize, such as Shimano, SunTour or Ritchey, does anybody here know what they are?

Last edited by unworthy1; 11-05-23 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-05-23, 12:36 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
The seat stay pinch bolt area looks similar to my Michael Johnson. He did learn from Albert Eisentraut. Going off of that part of the frame, I would guess that frame could have been built by one of the people that worked under him?

Old 11-05-23, 12:42 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by velomateo
Bob Freeman and Bill Davidson co-owned Elliot Bay Cycles in Seattle for 31 years, and Bob still has all of the serial numbers and owner paperwork. I'm pretty sure he'd know if it was a Davidson. He checked with Joe Bell, who couldn't recall what marque it was.

It's extremely rare for Bob to be stumped on anything bike related. At Eroica California several years ago we invited him over for an after Linn's dinner drinking and bull session at the house we rented. Three steps into the kitchen he saw our pile of bikes, after a 2 second scan he focused on a bike owned by @Spaghetti Legs and told him that the upper pulley on his Campy Record rear derailleur was incorrect. The next year during our Magical Mystery Tour of the PNW we stopped by and saw his 100+ bike collection. @nlerner saw a mint Raleigh International in the collection. He told Bob that the stem couldn't be original due to the stem bolt type. Bob corrected him and said that on that particular year many came with that exact stem, as he sold many at his shop.

For him to throw in the towel and ask others is very unusual.
Old 11-05-23, 01:22 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Originally Posted by Roger M
The seat stay pinch bolt area looks similar to my Michael Johnson. He did learn from Albert Eisentraut. Going off of that part of the frame, I would guess that frame could have been built by one of the people that worked under him?

MAYbe MJ, but if this seatcluster is typical of his, it's not an exact match to the "gugie/Freeman mystery" nor anything that Eisentraut built (typically). Haven't seen enough of MJ's to see if he varied that cluster style during his span of work

note how stay tops attach to the seat lug at rear

if this is a Campy vertical it's been modified, note the "window" with straight line at lower RH and the eyelet's gone
Old 11-05-23, 01:36 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Another Pauley example from https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-big-bike.html

For me, the defined seat-stay edges in the subject frame points away from Pauley.
Likes For panzerwagon:
Old 11-05-23, 01:56 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

I agree^ but worth noting that both this green and the previous red Pauley (with fancy seat 'lug" top edge) are both fillet-brazed samples and CP was known to often use lugs as well, but those were quite finessed when he did use them.

I have to concur that this "Freeman frame" is probably made by some California frame builder, but I'm stumped too (and far out of the gugie/freeman league!)

I wonder if the genius of image-seaching, none other than @MauriceMoss would consider applying his skills to this?
Old 11-05-23, 02:04 PM
merziac

Lots of anomalies here, not the least of which is the unevenness of the seatstays at the back of the seatlug.

Not the typical work of the builders we are discussing here.
Old 11-05-23, 03:52 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
Many folks who chimed in suggested it could have been Tim Issacs (there is some similarity so worth further checks), see the pic of yellow frame
That was my first thought as well; the seat cluster is very similar. But both the TS Isaac frames I have here have a blind hole for the post binder bolt, while this frame has an opening on the non-drive side:

My frames:

Old 11-05-23, 04:04 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,132 Times in 1,971 Posts
Is it definitely a California builder? One of the cool little features is the FD cable guide wraps around the BB shell until vertical. That is cool.

I have nothing of any worth to add as far as a guess though, but my first inkling was maybe an early or oddball Bruce Gordon, or Michael Johnson? But again, I know nada about the breadth of the builders out there.
Old 11-05-23, 05:51 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by USAZorro
What if it isn't from an American builder? I have no idea what it is, but why limit the consideration based on a hunch?
Good point, got a name?
Old 11-05-23, 06:43 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
One more question that may be a clue: those vertical DOs of the frame in question do not appear to be Campy 1060s or another "vert" that I recognize, such as Shimano, SunTour or Ritchey, does anybody here know what they are?
Why don't you think they aren't Campagnolo 1060 dropouts? Close up:

Old 11-05-23, 07:03 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Why don't you think they aren't Campagnolo 1060 dropouts? Close up:

To my eyes at least, the subject frame’s rear dropout cutout appears to curve a bit around the axle axis, whereas the 1060 cutout appears straight and indifferent toward the axle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.