Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Pista Concept vs Cinelli Mash

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-10, 01:29 PM
joker8baller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys! Stuck in a dilemna, would appreciate any suggestions.

I'm torn between a used Bianchi Pista Concept (53 cm) - $600, and a new 2010 Cinelli Mash (47cm). $800. Framesets...

Ideally, I would ride a 50CM. From users of the Concept and the current owner, the 53CM rides like a 51, so I don't think that would be too bad of a difference, and the bike shop owner thought I should ride a 47CM on the Cinelli b/c of the sloping down tube.

I'm really stuck between the two of these. Ideally, I would like to get into track racing this season, and I'll be building the bike up for a durable track bike that I could also take on longer 20-50 mile rides.

I've always wanted the Bianchi Pista Concept since I've started biking, but I have 2 problems, buying used, and the fact that it already has wear and tear on it (No dents), but I would be riding with a front brake for longer rides which means I'd have to get a new fork... But it's kinda been my dream bike since I've started biking...

On the other there's the 2010 Cinelli Mash. It's a hot bike. I like it a lot, doesn't look too pursuit (It doesn't look like it slopes too much), and it's new. But if I buy it, it's going to take a while to build since I'm 1 paycheck short of buying it. I'm also worried about quality and durability because I really haven't heard too much about it... To a degree. I mean it's a quality company, but not that many reviews out there..

What do you guys think?

Last edited by joker8baller; 03-22-10 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-22-10, 01:44 PM
daft crunk

Bikes: alien track bike, cannondale t400 tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wouldn't you want a bigger sized Cinelli if it slopes down?
Old 03-22-10, 01:47 PM
joker8baller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't believe so?

I read on Mash's twitter feed that the 48CM fits like a 50CM when used with a 700C wheelset.
Old 03-22-10, 01:47 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
I'd say neither. Start out by getting exactly the right size for you in a complete track-worthy bike like a Motobecane Team Track or Felt TK3.

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 03-22-10 at 01:49 PM. Reason: correct model name
Old 03-22-10, 01:57 PM
joker8baller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mhm. I've ridden the Felt around, and it just seems... "off." I don't know why, but it wasn't a bike I liked compared to a FTP, or my Fuji Road Bike.

I'd also like to stay away from another BD bike (I ride a Dawes SST currently), and I've had a bit of a trouble with parts & such from it. I love the bike, but it's given a bit of a problem.

Thanks though.
Old 03-22-10, 02:15 PM
Yo!

Bikes: Panasonic NJS Keirin x2, Level Professional, Bianchi CUSS, GT Pulse

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recommend buying used across the board unless you opt to go custom. You'll get it cheaper, usually sell it for what you bought it for, and you won't have to worry ab the first dent, or the first scratch, because they're going to happen on a street ridden track bike.

Also, a 47-53 size difference is like, effin substantial. I have a 52, a 53.5, and a 54.5 and they all feel like night and day next to each other. I've become so acute to the size differences, that even a 1cm tt difference is enough for me to notice.

Both are sick bikes if you're into aluminum, just buy the one that fits better, even if it's used.
Old 03-22-10, 02:21 PM
fatallightning
Cat 666

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joker8baller
Mhm. I've ridden the Felt around, and it just seems... "off." I don't know why, but it wasn't a bike I liked compared to a FTP, or my Fuji Road Bike.

I'd also like to stay away from another BD bike (I ride a Dawes SST currently), and I've had a bit of a trouble with parts & such from it. I love the bike, but it's given a bit of a problem.

Thanks though.
not to doubt you, but look at any major velodrome, and you'll probably see more felt tks then any other bike out there. the moto team track has nothing in common with cheaper BD bikes, its a rebadged fuji track pro. if you want new, why not buy a super pista? its the same thing.
Old 03-22-10, 02:27 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by joker8baller
The Moto Team and Dawes SST are totally different animals quality wise. The Moto is basically a Fuji Track Comp, and comes with really good major components like the Dura Ace cranks. It also has a drilled fork for a front brake, which the Pista Concept lacks. Mind you, I own a Pista Concept and really love it, but I ride it 99% on the track and it's brakeless.
Old 03-22-10, 03:01 PM
joker8baller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yo: Hm, do you think the 47CM rides like a 50 like Mash posted up? I ride a 49CM Dawes, so I'm hoping for around the same size.

Yeah, I see a lot of TK2's around and such, but I'm very picky on how I like my bikes. I really like how the TK2 looks, but meh, something in me was like, I don't want it.

I'm def. looking into the Moto Team now. I'll be putting DA cranks on whatever bike I get I think...

I'd get the Super Pista if it wasn't so damn ugly. I'm a hipster in that respect, I like my bikes looking hot... I bought the more expensive helmet cause when I ride, I ride with my helmet cause I'm not self-conscious with it...
Old 03-22-10, 07:27 PM
Flash_BeeZy

Bikes: surly Steamroller, Mercier Kilo TT pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fatallightning
not to doubt you, but look at any major velodrome, and you'll probably see more felt tks then any other bike out there. the moto team track has nothing in common with cheaper BD bikes, its a rebadged fuji track pro. if you want new, why not buy a super pista? its the same thing.
its actually a rebadge track comp
Old 03-22-10, 07:45 PM
spcialzdspksman
Hella Raw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I currently own a 53cm Pista Concept and I rode a 50cm IRO Mark V, but my ideal size is a 52.5
I think you should give the fit a bit more priority than the look because in the long run, it will def be worth it to have one that fits nicely rather than one that's off.

I don't know if it's just me, but a 47 compared to a 53 is a BIG difference. You should narrow down your size and know exactly which dimensions you need before you buy any frame.

I think both frames are about the same quality.
The concept has double-butted 7005 aluminum, where as the mash has triple-butted Columbus Airplane aluminum. They're both 7005, but the Cinelli is triple-butted. However, I doubt you'll actually feel the difference in normal street riding.

So I suggest, finding the correct, exact frame size you need, then hunting for a frame from there, but don't allow yourself too much leeway in the sizing department, or you'll end with a frame you might regret.

+1 on the Concept though because I'm a biased owner of one
but if you have the money, take the MASH!
Good luck!

edit: also, $600 for a Concept in good condition is a great deal imo
Old 03-22-10, 07:50 PM
fatallightning
Cat 666

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flash_BeeZy
its actually a rebadge track comp
the new track comp is a 7000 series frame in the pricepoint the older 6000 series fuji track pro used to reside, and the older 6000 series FTP is what the moto is.
Old 03-22-10, 07:50 PM
kato7997

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding a slightly smaller frame on the velodrome isn't unusual...but on the street (riding more than a couple of miles) the shorter top tube and taller saddle to bar drop can cause fitment issues and body aches.
Old 03-22-10, 08:10 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by spcialzdspksman
also, $600 for a Concept in good condition is a great deal imo
I think the OP said it's a frameset only, same for the Mash.
Old 03-22-10, 08:17 PM
spcialzdspksman
Hella Raw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
I think the OP said it's a frameset only, same for the Mash.
Yep, I know.
The cost for Concepts have been amazingly inflated after Bianchi replaced it with the Super Pista.
The fact that' they're no longer made and their rarity really jacks up it's street value. Last week I saw them go on eBay for $800 and a "brand new" one for $900 frameset.

I also payed an unfathomable sum for mine .
but I'm happy.

edit: speaking of the devil...

$450 complete concept

Damn, should have waited...

Last edited by spcialzdspksman; 03-22-10 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-22-10, 08:19 PM
joker8baller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys!~ Pulled the trigger on the Mash.

Both are framesets.

Yeah, sizing is the issue, and the bike shop owner just ordered me the size that would best fit me. I have a 46CM Roadie (Rode my first century without training on that), and a 49cm track, so I think the 47 will be a happy medium, especially if it fits like a 50CM..

Special: Want another concept? Seller's in SF

Thanks for all the help!~