Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What rear rack trunk bag? Vaude, Topeak, Lezyne...?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-12, 08:32 PM
damme

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone.

I got Vaude's Discover Classic panniers (80€ at amazon) yesterday and they are pretty nice, but the panniers won't go far enough from my heel with my MTB's rear rack so I could pedal without worrying that my heel hits the bag. So I thought I would get a trunk bag that I would use to carry my lunch to work and maybe buy a higher rack for the panniers and use the panniers when more space is needed (and also for touring).

So I've been looking for different rear rack trunk bags but the annoying thing is that I can't find information about the inner size of the main department. I have my food boxes that should fit in the bag but without knowing the inner dimensions I can't know which if any have enough room. I'm not sure if I need bag that has built in side panniers because I have the large Vaude's panniers that I can take to work if I think I'm going to need them that day. Only thing I think I would need the "pocket panniers" is if I need to pick up something by surprise that won't fit in the main pocket. Anyway, these are some options I've found so far that might do the job:

Vaude Silkroad L (11L, no pocket panniers, 490g, velcro strap mount)
Vaude Silkroad Plus (15L, with pocket panniers, 600g, velcro strap mount)
Lezyne Trunk Caddy (14L, no pocket panniers, 1050g, clip strap mount)
Lezyne Trunk Caddy EX (24L, with pocket panniers, 1435g, clip strap mount)
Topeak MTX TrunkBag EX (8L, no pocket panniers, 760g, QuickTrack/requires Topeak rear rack)
Topeak TrunkBag EX, Strap Mount (8L, no pocket panniers, 520g, velcro strap mount)
Topeak MTX TrunkBag DX (12L, no pocket panniers, 1020g, QuickTrack/requires Topeak rear rack)
Topeak MTX TrunkBag DXP (22L, with pocket panniers, 1160g, QuickTrack/requires Topeak rear rack)
Topeak TrunkBag DXP, Strap Mount (22L, with pocket panniers, 995g, velcro strap mount)
Ortlieb Trunk bag (Racktime) (8L, no pocket panniers, 700g, Snapit quick release)

Few points:

- Weight is the least important feature.
- Important to be able to easily fasten the bag to the rack and take it off.

I have read that some say the QuickTrack work well and others say it isn't sturdy (bags fell off). QuickTrack also requires Topeak's own rear rack which would cost more €€€... but then again if they have rear rack that takes the Vaude's big panniers higher and further from my heels, it would be a good investment since a new rack is needed anyways.

Maybe you guys can give some opinions to make the decision easier

If someone has any of these bags and could measure the inner dimensions of the large main pocket, I would appreciate it a lot!

Last edited by damme; 08-22-12 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-21-12, 08:44 PM
kurtster

Bikes: Panasonic road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If easy on/off is important, also take a look at Ortlieb's rack-top bags such as the Trunk Bag and Travel Biker. They look well-made and come with a quick-release adapter that fits most racks.
Old 08-21-12, 09:00 PM
damme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtster
If easy on/off is important, also take a look at Ortlieb's rack-top bags such as the Trunk Bag and Travel Biker. They look well-made and come with a quick-release adapter that fits most racks.
The Travel Biker is too wide and briefcase like, but their trunk-bag might work: https://www.ortlieb.de/_prod.php?lang...nkbag_racktime
Old 08-21-12, 10:07 PM
megalowmatt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a fan of the Topeak system and have a couple of their bags and racks, although none of the ones you are considering.

As far as the quickrack system not being sturdy, there have been a couple times I thought I had gotten the bag correctly locked on to the rack and it started to fall off. I later realized it was user error and I didn't actually have the bag slipped into the quicktrack thing.
Old 08-22-12, 01:35 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by damme
The Travel Biker is too wide and briefcase like, but their trunk-bag might work: https://www.ortlieb.de/_prod.php?lang...nkbag_racktime
my recommendation is this one. you really get what you pay for with Ortlieb.
Old 08-22-12, 03:55 AM
mi77915
Cycling Enthusiast

Bikes: Giant OCR-2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Topeak MTX 8L and just love this bag/mount. I have had it for a while now and it is plenty big and is versatile. In your original post, you mention that you have read that some people say that the QuickTrack system is not sturdy, I personally have found just the opposite!! The QuickTrack system works great for me. I highly recommend it!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by mi77915; 08-22-12 at 04:18 AM.
Old 08-22-12, 06:57 AM
damme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Most of the reviews I've read about the QuickTrack are positive and say that it works well, but I've read few reviews that say it's not sturdy enough. The zippers in Topeak bags have got a lot of negative comments too. Also the material quality is not the best what I've read. I read reviews from amazon.com and rei.com.

How about the fastening mechanisms on all products. Is clip straps worst? How about velcro straps, will they keep the bag in place or will the bag move sideways? Ortlieb's locking mechanism would work with any rack which is a plus and additional lock can be purchased to prevent theft. Topeak's as mentioned needs their own rack and doesn't have theft preventing locks. But which locking stystem is better?

Originally Posted by mi77915
I have the Topeak MTX 8L...
Could you measure the width, lenght and height of the main pocket for me so I know if it can fit my lunch boxes?
Old 08-22-12, 07:07 AM
sternzeit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Bontrager Interchange bag/rack. The back/rack interface is rock solid and the bag has a lifetime warranty. One version has fold out panniers but mine just has the side pockets. I can fit a change of clothes, my lock, patch kit, spare tube, wallet, and keys in there.

https://bontrager.com/model/07719
Old 08-22-12, 07:09 AM
Gatorfreak

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a the "Avenir Excursion Rack-Top Bag (830 Cubic Inches)" that straps on with velcro straps like some of those Topeak bags. While I do like the bag, sometimes I wish I'd gotten something in the Topeak MTX line... like when I'm removing the bag! Since I don't have to lock my bike up outside it's not an issue very often, but if you're going to have to lock your bike up outside every day then don't get a strap on. You'll get tired of strapping on/off the bag twice a day.
Old 08-22-12, 09:07 AM
damme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gatorfreak
I have a the "Avenir Excursion Rack-Top Bag (830 Cubic Inches)" that straps on with velcro straps like some of those Topeak bags. While I do like the bag, sometimes I wish I'd gotten something in the Topeak MTX line... like when I'm removing the bag! Since I don't have to lock my bike up outside it's not an issue very often, but if you're going to have to lock your bike up outside every day then don't get a strap on. You'll get tired of strapping on/off the bag twice a day.
Good point. I thought about the strap issue too since I have to remove the bag every morning when I arrive to work and put it back on when I leave.

How long would you say it takes to fasten the bag and take it off with velcro straps? Clip starps would be a bit faster I think, but would they be as sturdy (clips only used on the Lezyne bags)?
Old 08-22-12, 09:16 AM
Gatorfreak

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My only experience is with my velcro-strap trunk bag. Probably takes me 20 seconds to attach or detach the trunk bag. I supposed it depends on your personality if that 20 seconds will get on your nerves after a while. I can't stand repeated tedious tasks.
Old 08-22-12, 09:21 AM
MNBikeguy

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I alternate between the Topeak MTX bag with the fold-down panniers and the large Ortlieb office bag.
Both can carry an immense amount of stuff.
Like megalomatt, the Topeak came loose once because I did not have the front clip properly secured to the rack. It's a great versatile bag. I like having the panniers fold out only when I need them. My only concern is the design of the top puts pressure on the zippers when carrying it, but so far no issues with the zippers.
The ortlieb is offset to prevent heel strike and is waterproof.
Old 08-22-12, 09:34 AM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have the Avenir excursion trunk bag for over 2 years and it works fine.
Old 08-22-12, 12:09 PM
jeffpoulin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I have a Carradice Carradura racktop bag. I like it. I used to have a Topeak MTX bag which I used for 13 years before it got too raggedy to use every day. Never had an issue with the quicktrak system. I would have purchased another Topeak bag, but they changed the attachment system a few years ago, so new bags do not work with older racks (I have 3 of their racks, so I didn't want to have to buy 3 more). The Carradice bag uses velcro straps, and I thought I would find it a pain after the quicktrak system, but really, it only takes about 10-15 seconds to mount the bag, so it's no big deal.
Old 08-22-12, 12:10 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Follow the function over fashion formula:

1. Obtain a milk crate or one of those hand held shopping baskets from your favorite retailer.
2. Secure said crate or basket to the top of the rack using zip ties, bungee cords, or twine.
3. Buy a insulated lunch bag.
4. Place the soft sided cooler into rack/basket.
5. Ride to your destination.
6. Remove your lunch bag.
Old 08-22-12, 12:28 PM
damme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know how the Topeak system works in let say -15C weather? Could the plastic parts snap and broke?
Old 08-22-12, 07:39 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
check out the lone peak trunk bag ?
Old 08-22-12, 10:16 PM
nevermore1701

Bikes: giant

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i use 2 different topeak bags on their explorer quicktrack rack.my larger bag has the fold out panniers. use that for grocery store runs. the quicktrack system works great in my opinion. very fast on and off.my only thing is when im using the trunk bag if its not fully loaded it tends to bounce a little. i strap a bungy around it to secure it down.
Old 08-23-12, 03:51 AM
mi77915
Cycling Enthusiast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could you measure the width, lenght and height of the main pocket for me so I know if it can fit my lunch boxes?
All the specs are on the page that you posted a link to in your original post.

https://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/MTXTrunkBagEX
Old 08-23-12, 04:16 AM
damme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mi77915
All the specs are on the page that you posted a link to in your original post.

https://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/MTXTrunkBagEX
I only see the outer dimensions 35 x 21 x 19 cm.
Old 08-23-12, 09:00 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
I've been unimpressed with expensive rear trunks. I found some relatively inexpensive ones and just used them. They attach with velcro straps. I would suggest you find one that have straps facing in the direction that works best for your rack. I also tend to use at least one bungee cord as a safety and or to carry other junk, and or to conpress the bag for least wind resistance. plastic compactor bag works for waterproofing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
the ride.jpg (102.8 KB, 95 views)
botecchia.jpg (22.3 KB, 87 views)
0407121316.jpg (95.5 KB, 86 views)
brooks on bike.jpg (97.7 KB, 86 views)
hybrid april 2011.jpg (101.0 KB, 78 views)
1985 letour.jpg (99.0 KB, 76 views)
1231091417ajohntest1.jpg (91.8 KB, 81 views)
DSC_8522.jpg (104.1 KB, 85 views)
Old 08-24-12, 03:17 AM
mi77915
Cycling Enthusiast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only see the outer dimensions 35 x 21 x 19 cm.
They are virtually the same
Old 08-24-12, 06:35 AM
nashvillwill

Bikes: Globe Vienna 3 Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Lezyne EX. I use the folding panniers on a daily basis. I keep my lunch bag in one side and the other side I have a change of clothes and some work items. In the upper trunk I keep my rain gear, extra tube, and pump. There is a rear flap to keep a small tool kit and a side flap to store a u-lock.
The bag has pros and cons. It's well thought out for storage and has plenty of room. It even has a shoulder strap (removable) to easily carry it with. The attachment/removal is pretty easy. Takes me about ten seconds with a couple of hooks and clips. I don't know how it compares to an Ortelib style attachment system, as I've never used one. The biggest drawback to this bag is the pannier attachment hooks. Hard metal hooks that clip onto the bottom portion on rack (i image most foldable panniers use something similar). They work well, but if they are not tensioned enough they can slide off. If that happens, then you have a hard steel hook swinging next to your spokes. I screwed up one day and destroyed my rear wheel. For all of the great things about this bag, that last point made we want to go with full panniers.
Old 06-22-15, 06:05 AM
rockrash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bontrager Interchange Rear Trunk

Originally Posted by sternzeit
I use a Bontrager Interchange bag/rack. The back/rack interface is rock solid and the bag has a lifetime warranty. One version has fold out panniers but mine just has the side pockets. I can fit a change of clothes, my lock, patch kit, spare tube, wallet, and keys in there.

Interchange Rear Trunks - | Bontrager
I have a Bontrager Interchange Rear Trunk Bag and love it. I see now it is 1 year warranty not lifetime. Did Warranty change?
Old 06-22-15, 01:16 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Another Topeak MTX user here and I also love it. I have the trunk bag with fold-out panniers, which does make the main compartment slightly smaller. I carry my U lock inside it and I have to keep it in 2 pieces (as opposed to the locked position as as single piece) for it to fit inside the main compartment, but it's no big deal.

I also wear size 48 clodhopper bike shoes and have never had heel strike problems with the fold-out panniers, even on my road bike with fairly short chain stays.