Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Where Did Your Hybrid Take You Today?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Where Did Your Hybrid Take You Today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-17, 04:15 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by timgriffin2
Strange that our paths crossed yesterday from looking at the cyclemeter map - unfortunately I was at a funeral at 49th St. and 38th Ave and then to the after service gathering back behind Biff Burger in the neighborhood you rode through. I lived on Sunset Beach back when you could rent a place for $200/mo. My wife and I stay sometimes at the Sunset Beach Cottages right behind that 7-11 in your pic for a mental health break weekend.

My son will be down from upstate NY this week for a 2 week visit and requested that we take a bike ride along the beaches. I haven't been along Gulf Blvd for a while - how is the construction that they had going on? I'm still very leery of riding in traffic though. Looking at your cyclemeter it looks like you have an idea that I hadn't really thought of - riding on small side roads a lot and not on the main drags through town.

It scares the crap out of me because I never drive anyplace these days without seeing people totally distracted texting and driving!
Yeah we were very close by ! I bartended on Sunset back in the early 90s at Beach Nutts which was across the street from the 7-11 which is now a house or condos. I try to stay off the main roads and ride parallel to them through neighborhoods when I can, Gulf Blvd isn’t to bad from Indian Rocks beach to Passé A Grille, there’s either bike lanes or the “bicycle chevrons” which give full lane access.
Old 12-19-17, 09:15 PM
timgriffin2

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
A beautiful day in Florida

Sunday I took the Crosstrail for a 22 mile ride from home out through the Starkey Wilderness Park in New Port Richey Florida (NW of Tampa) and back. I took a few pics to give a perspective of the Starkey Park bike path which is a 6.5 mile linear path totally through old Florida palmetto, scrub oak, live oak, cedar and pine trees. As typical with the habitat there are areas of shade and open sunny areas depending on which eco climate you're passing through at the moment.

The path is paved the entire way

I LOVE the Live Oaks that grow here with some twisting and turning themselves into works of art

And the Palmettos are everywhere - love them too

There are also stretches here that have little to no sun cover and can get pretty hot and humid in summers. For the unprepared there are a few water coolers along the way filled with ice and water by park staff and "usually" have water available - I have seen it when it was a really busy biking day where the coolers were empty. Being prepared is the best with your own supply of water

Last edited by timgriffin2; 12-20-17 at 07:28 AM.
Old 12-20-17, 09:11 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1582 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 609 Posts
Sunday I took the Crosstrail for a 22 mile ride from home out through the Starkey Wilderness Park in New Port Richey Florida (NW of Tampa) and back. I took a few pics to give a perspective of the Starkey Park bike path which is a 6.5 mile linear path totally through old Florida palmetto, scrub oak, live oak, cedar and pine trees. As typical with the habitat there are areas of shade and open sunny areas depending on which eco climate you're passing through at the moment.

The path is paved the entire way

I LOVE the Live Oaks that grow here with some twisting and turning themselves into works of art

And the Palmettos are everywhere - love them too

There are also stretches here that have little to no sun cover and can get pretty hot and humid in summers. For the unprepared there are a few water coolers along the way filled with ice and water by park staff and "usually" have water available - I have seen it when it was a really busy biking day where the coolers were empty. Being prepared is the best with your own supply of water
I ... Am ... So ... Envious.

I love Florida, esp. the Gulf Coast (the area I know is Naples/Marco). Great pics!
Old 12-20-17, 02:50 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nice ride ! I have to get up that way sometime and give it a ride, does the new extension of the Pinellas Trail come close to it ? I have a lot of time off the next few weeks, I may just do a over night ride and stay at my friends place in Tarpon Springs.

badger1, the weather here has been perfect for riding for the last month or so, I’ve been taking full advantage of it, really looking forward to this weekend, temps in the lower 80s and light wind and no rain.
Old 12-20-17, 04:00 PM
timgriffin2

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooty Puff Jr
Nice ride ! I have to get up that way sometime and give it a ride, does the new extension of the Pinellas Trail come close to it ?
It's still quite a way from Tarpon Springs to the east and north from the north end of the Pinellas Trail.
Old 12-20-17, 04:26 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's still quite a way from Tarpon Springs to the east and north from the north end of the Pinellas Trail.
I’m going to do a little research and see where the Pinellas Trail extension ends and if there’s a safe way to get to the Starkey Trail.
Old 12-20-17, 05:44 PM
mort1369

Bikes: Raleigh USA Technium Olympian, Kona Hahanna single-speed, FUJI Espree Three Speed Fixie, Trek 720 hybrid/bike of burden, Trek 1200 ZX 'Superleggera' project, Trek 400 fixie, Cove G-Spot double-boinger. .

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Did a 'Le Tour de Bullhead' before the winds kicked up again. . . .
Old 12-28-17, 05:53 PM
unionmanbirch

Bikes: Origami Crane 8, 1985 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
I rode my 1991 Schwinn Criss-Cross to the barber shop to get a haircut this morning. It was just 8 miles round trip, but it was only 5 degrees F (-5 windchill). I picked up the Criss-Cross a few months ago to be my winter bike and it has been great so far. Initially I was planning to get rid of it in the spring, but its been a fun ride so I'm thinking of keeping it.
Old 12-28-17, 10:24 PM
Caocao

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took my Sirrus to Victoria and back (about 25 km) in the rain to test the new tires and fenders I just installed yesterday.
Old 12-29-17, 08:14 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,598 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by Caocao
in the rain to test the new tires and fenders I just installed
... and ...?
Old 12-30-17, 11:44 PM
Caocao

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And everything worked as advertised!
Old 01-05-18, 01:48 PM
mort1369

Bikes: Raleigh USA Technium Olympian, Kona Hahanna single-speed, FUJI Espree Three Speed Fixie, Trek 720 hybrid/bike of burden, Trek 1200 ZX 'Superleggera' project, Trek 400 fixie, Cove G-Spot double-boinger. .

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
The usual around town meandering I like to call 'Le Tour de Bullhead'. . . . . .
Old 01-06-18, 05:17 AM
Naem

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Using the cycling layer on google maps I found a really fun looking circle that went past work. Thought I'd explore it last weekend and see if it could work for me. The route started on an old railway line which has been turned into a gravel cycle path that I'm familiar with.

I had no idea what me or my bike were capable of, it was my 2nd time on it. About 15km into the ride I cross a bridge and get down onto a canal route. Was a bit hesitant as I didn't know what riding on grass would be like.

Anyway I get going and riding on the grass, while there's a bit more resistance than gravel/tarmac you get used to it really quick and it feels great.

After 5-10km of grass it turns to mud and puddles, of course it had rained the night before! For some reason, I didn't fully process this change of trail, just kept pedaling. I was actually amazed I managed to keep going, the mud was at least 5cm deep in places. I learnt quick quickly that standing up to pedal was counter productive

Total ride was 35-40km, took me a few hours. Got nice and muddy and thoroughly enjoyed it. Spent a good hour cleaning my bike the next day.

Have another adventure planned for today

Last edited by Naem; 01-06-18 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Pictures weren't appearing
Old 01-06-18, 06:40 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Naem
ride was 35-40km, took me a few hours
when preparation meets opportunity
Old 01-07-18, 11:13 PM
fire

Bikes: '09 Diamondback Insight 1, '05 Trek 3700 ( now a hybrid street/cross trail bike), (Vintage model) Kent Supreme 10 speed road cruiser, BMX (just for fun), Trek Multitrack 720 and a homebuilt recumbent low-rider.

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Using the cycling layer on google maps I found a really fun looking circle that went past work. Thought I'd explore it last weekend and see if it could work for me. The route started on an old railway line which has been turned into a gravel cycle path that I'm familiar with.

I had no idea what me or my bike were capable of, it was my 2nd time on it. About 15km into the ride I cross a bridge and get down onto a canal route. Was a bit hesitant as I didn't know what riding on grass would be like.

Anyway I get going and riding on the grass, while there's a bit more resistance than gravel/tarmac you get used to it really quick and it feels great.

After 5-10km of grass it turns to mud and puddles, of course it had rained the night before! For some reason, I didn't fully process this change of trail, just kept pedaling. I was actually amazed I managed to keep going, the mud was at least 5cm deep in places. I learnt quick quickly that standing up to pedal was counter productive

Total ride was 35-40km, took me a few hours. Got nice and muddy and thoroughly enjoyed it. Spent a good hour cleaning my bike the next day.

Have another adventure planned for today
Good stuff!
I was trying to see what type of tyres you had on it, are they knobby mtb/off road?
Old 01-08-18, 10:02 AM
dueWest

Bikes: Huffy Superia (US made), 2018 Giant Roam 3 Disc

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Looks like the Giant Crosscuts to me.
Old 01-08-18, 12:07 PM
Naem

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fire
Good stuff!
I was trying to see what type of tyres you had on it, are they knobby mtb/off road?
Originally Posted by dueWest
Looks like the Giant Crosscuts to me.
Thank you, and dueWest is correct.

So far I'm really liking them but to be fair I have nothing to compare them against. I notice wind resistance far more than tyre resistance on the road and my current view is the next set of tyres, while still hybrid, will be as large as my frame will fit.

Personal riding style at the moment
Old 01-08-18, 01:12 PM
dueWest

I notice wind resistance far more than tyre resistance on the road and my current view is the next set of tyres, while still hybrid, will be as large as my frame will fit.

Personal riding style at the moment

Yesterday was a 15mph wind. Riding with the wind was all uphill. Downhill was against it. Much more of a workout going downhill against it. I love less rolling resistance as well. Still, may up mine to 40c when the time comes.
Old 01-14-18, 07:38 PM
axxman

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Kenevo SL exp2017 Specialized Expert carbon X1 2016 Specialized Trek 8.6 DS, Previously owned 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper comp carbo Trek 4500, 2019 Canyon Urban 5.0, Diamondback, Ross Apollo 5speed, Huffy? Research Dynamics(stolen)

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Withaloochie trail between Holder and Inverness

First ride of 2018
Old 01-14-18, 07:56 PM
rumrunn6

out thru a nature sanctuary

Old 01-21-18, 01:54 PM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
67 km today after a looooong break... All asphalt.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ilZnYzPs4ybYbw773
Old 01-21-18, 02:04 PM
rumrunn6

out of my house

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-24-18 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-21-18, 02:22 PM
Delwis
Trekker

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6, Trek FXS6, Trek X-Claiber9

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like fun!
Old 01-21-18, 10:37 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I got to figure out where to post this stuff after going out for beer and biking ! The day started out kinda chilly, but as the day went on it got much warmer. I got stuck in a “marathon” on the trail heading out, no big deal, but there was a lot of runners out on the MUP. Not a big deal, they stayed to the right, and I called out “on the left” when passing, all good.

This was funny though.

Old 01-21-18, 11:08 PM
dueWest

Originally Posted by Scooty Puff Jr
I got to figure out where to post this stuff after going out for beer and biking ! The day started out kinda chilly, but as the day went on it got much warmer. I got stuck in a “marathon” on the trail heading out, no big deal, but there was a lot of runners out on the MUP. Not a big deal, they stayed to the right, and I called out “on the left” when passing, all good.

This was funny though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.