Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bike parking at work?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Bike parking at work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-10, 03:34 PM
Willeke_igkt

Bikes: delta recumbent trike, sparta amazone urpight, dahon folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My recumbent trike does not fit in most lockers, it does not even fit in the bike stands we have at work. Oh, it might, if the first two spaces would be left empty till I come in, but we are short on spaces as it is. So my trike sits outside, but locked to a bar of a fence by a square link chain. That is not because I expect it being stolen, but because the insurance requires it.
And as I ride it every day, it is rather predictable to see it there, so if someone wants to steal it, that is where they know to find it.
At home it is hidden in a storage space in the apartment building, behind two locked doors.

Taking it in is out of the question, I do have it inside to work it on sometimes, but only during the coffeebreak, as it takes too much space and space is at a premium in the factory I work.
For upright bikes there is a set of stands under a roof, between the walls of our building and that next door. I always parked my bike there, still do when I ride it instead of the trike.
Old 11-13-10, 04:08 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
My bike gets locked up to a rack inside a perimeter-controlled parking lot (no one comes in without showing a guard an ID). The sole tenant of the building is the company I work for. I suspect I could leave it unlocked and no one would mess with it.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 11-13-10, 05:17 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuterRun
I would use such a system to protect the accessories on my bike more than the bike.
Good point, when I do commute (mainly weekends) I spend an awful lot of time putting stuff on and taking it off the bike (bag, lights, computer, water bottles, pump, lock that I've bungeed in place, etc.)
Old 11-13-10, 06:06 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
I don't know about these bike lockers. I've never seen one, this area is not used to bike commuters. If given the choice I would much rather park my bike inside, like I do now.

I have my own office so it does not interfer with anybody else. I put the ol' green snot right in front of the desk so it's the first thing people see when they come in.

Never asked, just went ahead and brought her in. 3ss
Old 11-13-10, 07:22 PM
rmcintosh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We had indoor parking at my workplace inside an egress stairwell. When the building inspector came to look at a plenum that had been run through, he saw the bikes and we got the boot. Nothing can be stored in an egress stairwell in my jurisdiction. We all park outside now

Thefts? So far so good. In fact, there was a theft from the stairwell, but none from the bike rack outside so far. (knock wood)

Last edited by rmcintosh; 11-13-10 at 09:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-15-10, 11:01 PM
rumride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. We aren't specifically allowed to bring bikes into the building, but since I haven't used a locker (or commuted regularly) before, I wasn't sure if there are any drawbacks to using a locker outside or if I should ask if they'll revisit the indoor storage policy if I can find an appropriate place for my bike.
Old 11-16-10, 12:01 AM
CharlieFree

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I have underground heated bike lock access in a parking garage. very nice for locking/unlocking in comfort, getting gear/lights organized, etc.. Plus it's another layer of security compared to outdoors. The downside is that in winter the corrosion process of melted snow or rain speeds up. But it's a good trade for a few bucks in replaceable parts. It's 5 bucks a month compared to a few hundred a month for a car, which is also a good trade.
Old 11-16-10, 11:12 AM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I worked for a summer at a research center for a big famous company, they had a covered outdoor bike shed where I'd lock my steel road bike. I no longer have that bike so if I were ever to go back to work there I'd have to weigh bringing my folder inside (folded of course) vs. locking it. I think I'd probably lock it. I don't know that I'd leave my carbon road bike in a common area like that -- too many ways for serious accidental frame damage to occur.
Old 11-17-10, 05:07 PM
lerico

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD10 5, Brodie Dynamo Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My workplace has indoor bike lockers, with 3 stages of security. You need a swipe card to get into the building, access code to get into the bike room, and a lock for your individual locker. I never worry about my bike at work.

Oh, and of course a very clean and nice shower room right next to the bike locker room.

:-)
Old 11-17-10, 06:50 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
My bike is stored in my office but I had lockers installed at one of our sites for the workers there. They are quite secure and I'd feel comfortable using them if I wasn't able to bring my bike inside with me.

One thing that surprised me. I knew there were a couple of commuters at that site so I purchased and installed 4 lockers. Quickly got requests from 6 people so I bought 4 more. Within a month I added another 4 and all 12 are taken. Haven't had any additional requests from that site but, as the area I set aside for the lockers only handled the 12, I'm looking for other locations for lockers in case we get additional requests.
Old 11-17-10, 08:55 PM
QuakerProf

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Ventura Race

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm on a campus with lots of outside racks, but also a high risk of theft. I called the facilities department manager and asked for access to the locked mechanical/boiler room at the end of my hallway, so now I park the bike there every day. The facilities people go in sometimes, but they all know it's my bike and that I have permission to keep it there. They also know that if anyone nabbed it, the manager knows every person who has a key that opens that door, so that would be the end of their employment.

When I arrive on campus at the gym to shower and change for the day, I use a Kryptonite NY u-lock on the sheltered outside rack, but that's 30 minutes or so in full view of all the students exercising. A crow bar would be noticed.

If you have strict rules about bikes in the building, you're stuck, but otherwise ask the facilities people and maybe the IT people- they often have rooms for equipment and servers that have space for a bike and limited access.
Old 11-17-10, 09:54 PM
cod.peace

Bikes: Rans V-Rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right now I can park my bike in my office, hanging it from a wall hook. When the company annexes the space next door after new year's there will be a dedicated bike parking room by the back door, with numerous wall hooks and probably a repair stand.
Old 11-18-10, 09:19 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by cod.peace
Right now I can park my bike in my office, hanging it from a wall hook. When the company annexes the space next door after new year's there will be a dedicated bike parking room by the back door, with numerous wall hooks and probably a repair stand.
Wow, that sounds amazing. Though as something that I'd use regularly, I'd probably prefer a good pump to a repair stand, but a floor pump is a cheap addition you can make yourself if they're providing the repair stand.
Old 11-18-10, 09:27 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
We have a covered rack outside. In winter there's plenty of room, but in summer we're running short on available space, even with the 4 additional removable racks bought out. About 300 people in this building, room for about 35 bikes in racks. Additionally, a couple of bikes can be locked to other structures in the semi-secure, CCTV controlled yard.

Around here, bike lockers are mainly used in commuter train stations, to facilitate mixed mode commute. I can see the point there, but I think the covered rack is quite adequate at my workplace.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 11-18-10, 12:29 PM
RichardGlover
2nd Amendment Cyclist

Bikes: Schwinn 2010 World Street, Handsome Speedy w/ SRAM Apex

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dcrowell
My bike is six feet away from my desk. So I can admire it instead of getting work done.
My bike is six feet away, leaning against the office printer desk. That way, everybody in the office can admire it while they're not surfing the internet.

Also, the knowledge that everybody in the office knows I cycle to work helps develop that feeling of smug superiority that seems to be part of the commuter psyche.