Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Waterproof, rechargeable lights?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-10, 06:54 AM
powitte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm having trouble finding anything in this category. I'm currently using Cateye's HL-EL450, which has decent brightness, waterproof, but battery operated. Does anyone know of anything brighter and rechargeable?

Thanks
Old 12-12-10, 09:25 AM
sqv

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about rechargable batteries in your current light?
Old 12-12-10, 09:42 AM
powitte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sqv
How about rechargable batteries in your current light?
Yes, that is one option. I was more thinking about the sort that is wired to a separate battery pack. Those seem capable of much brighter beams.
Old 12-12-10, 09:53 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Dinotte-excellent quality with watertight connections- expensive but what's your life worth?
Old 12-12-10, 10:00 AM
slide23

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How waterproof do you need? Every rechargeable bike light I have ever looked at is seriously weatherproof. All the lights I have owned stood up to serious weather abuse. I think it is one of those basic design requirements for a bicycle light: must put out light, must include bicycle mounts, must be weatherproof.
Old 12-12-10, 10:14 AM
Mardmakarm

Bikes: Kona Sutra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think rechargeable batteries like Eneloop can solve your problem, save a lot of money for long term.
Old 12-12-10, 10:19 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
If you already like Cateye...

Also got to muck around with one of these but haven't ridden behind one @ night.

Last edited by tcs; 12-12-10 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-12-10, 10:19 AM
QuakerProf

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Ventura Race

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with the others who have suggested using rechargeables in your current light. Dinotte is top of the line, but very pricy. I run two Cygolite Expilion 250s, which are self-contained, weatherproof units that use their own lithium-ion batteries. I like that they can be recharged by wall outlet or by USB port on a computer, but I was already in the market for new, brighter lights. I had given my old bike with its 15 dollar Target headlight (Bell front/back combo pack) to my wife for use as the grocery/child trailer bike, so my new commuter bike needed lights.

If you already have a good waterproof light, just go with the rechargeable batteries. Just remember when they die to give them to your local hazardous waste unit because they are much nastier inside than regular alkaline batteries.
Old 12-12-10, 10:21 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by powitte
Does anyone know of anything brighter and rechargeable?
Originally Posted by Mardmakarm
I think rechargeable batteries like Eneloop can solve your problem....
His existing EL450 will be brighter with Eneloops? By how much?
Old 12-12-10, 10:32 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I'm having trouble finding anything in this category. I'm currently using Cateye's HL-EL450, which has decent brightness, waterproof, but battery operated. Does anyone know of anything brighter and rechargeable?

Thanks
1. What is your budget?
2. What is your environment?
3. How much run time do you need/want?
Old 12-12-10, 10:58 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Old Gear : I have a Niterider Sport halogen light, 10w bulb,
Screw cap closed battery pack holds 5 D cell batteries ,
fits in Water bottle cage. or straps on frame tube
I just upgraded the batteries to NiMH

They also sold that same set for Diving lights, so that should be plenty waterproof .

even in today's 45mph storm with the rain coming 'down' sideways.

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-13-10 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-12-10, 04:10 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My light(s)...I've got 3, are Niterider Trailrat 2.0 10w halogen. The run time is supposed to be 2:20, but I count on 90 min and any more is a bonus. Rechargeable, etc. and about 100.00 from various sources online. They're all about 3 years old. I found some replacement bulbs cheap from CL...someone was unloading alot of gear. The batteries are about 75.00 to replace which is not too bad. I've cycled in driving rain w/t light on for well over an hour w/no probs at the connecting point from the battery. If you're riding 20+ mph this isn't the light for you...you'll outrun it. My rate is around 15-17 mph, so it's perfect for me.
Old 12-12-10, 06:49 PM
powitte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
1. What is your budget?
2. What is your environment?
3. How much run time do you need/want?
Thanks all for the suggestions. To clarify the above questions:

1) I'd probably like to keep a good solution under $150. I was considering building a dynamo wheel, but it would be more like $200 when all is said and done.
2) Part of the reason I think the dynamo is unnecessary is that I'm commuting 10 miles each way on almost entirely well-lit city streets. Lots of accidents are from "doorings", though, and this is the sort of catastrophe I am hoping a sufficiently bright light will help me avoid.
3) I don't have a run-time requirement, but I think ideally I would like to get a work week out of it, so, 40 min each way x 5 days.

I have had quite a few lights in the past, and the ones that aren't advertised as waterproof have always ended up shorting out due to water in the battery compartment before long. I ride in absolutely all sorts of weather, and don't get off the bike in rain unless it's blowing so hard I can't stay upright.
Old 12-12-10, 07:08 PM
Alan@TreeFort

Bikes: 2010 Niner EMD, 2008 Surly Steamroller, 2007 Giant OCR.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had great experience with both the NiteRider and the Light&Motion lights. I've used the NiteRider MiNewt 100 (now its available in 150), which is great for commuting and completely rain proof. Ive also The Light&Motion Stella 300 which is definitely brighter and waterproof but a little more expensive. Also, both have great warranty, just in case.
Old 12-12-10, 07:47 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks all for the suggestions. To clarify the above questions:

1) I'd probably like to keep a good solution under $150. I was considering building a dynamo wheel, but it would be more like $200 when all is said and done.
2) Part of the reason I think the dynamo is unnecessary is that I'm commuting 10 miles each way on almost entirely well-lit city streets. Lots of accidents are from "doorings", though, and this is the sort of catastrophe I am hoping a sufficiently bright light will help me avoid.
3) I don't have a run-time requirement, but I think ideally I would like to get a work week out of it, so, 40 min each way x 5 days.

I have had quite a few lights in the past, and the ones that aren't advertised as waterproof have always ended up shorting out due to water in the battery compartment before long. I ride in absolutely all sorts of weather, and don't get off the bike in rain unless it's blowing so hard I can't stay upright.
I started a thread seeking the lowest cost dyno. Though I already knew about Peter White and Harris, I learned of another- Longleaf Bicycles. If you have the skills/tools, you could get that Sanyo and build your own wheel, or price a build (which is the route I will probably take).
Old 12-12-10, 09:14 PM
powitte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
I started a thread seeking the lowest cost dyno. Though I already knew about Peter White and Harris, I learned of another- Longleaf Bicycles. If you have the skills/tools, you could get that Sanyo and build your own wheel, or price a build (which is the route I will probably take).
Even the cheapest way I've been able to figure it--$40 for the hub, $45 for a decent rim, $35 plus for spokes and nipples, then $80 for a fairly modest dynamo-powered light, we're talking about $200. That's not including the 3 hours of the wheel build would take me. If you had a shop do it I suspect it'd be at least $40 for the build labor. For a light, that's just too much for me. Yes, it's elegant, but I can't justify it.
Old 12-12-10, 09:23 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Even the cheapest way I've been able to figure it--$40 for the hub, $45 for a decent rim, $35 plus for spokes and nipples, then $80 for a fairly modest dynamo-powered light, we're talking about $200. That's not including the 3 hours of the wheel build would take me. If you had a shop do it I suspect it'd be at least $40 for the build labor. For a light, that's just too much for me. Yes, it's elegant, but I can't justify it.
To be honest, I don't know how up to date the site is, but if I read correctly, the guy can build up a complete dynowheel using the Sanyo hub, front and rear lights for $170, before shipping...
Old 12-12-10, 10:43 PM
VeloBusDriver

Bikes: Brompton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm currently using Cateye's HL-EL450, which has decent brightness, waterproof, but battery operated. Does anyone know of anything brighter and rechargeable?
+1 for Dinotte: I've had a 600L for 3 years and love it. It's very bright and weatherproof. I recently broke the lens and sent it back for a minor repair - I purchased a new tail light so they did the repair for free. They also updated the weatherproof connector which made it easier to unplug the batter. The 800L will be brigher. Dinotte's service is excellent. Every time I've called or emailed I get a quick response and they do custom orders really easily. (Like if you have an existing light system, you can order a new light without batteries and a charger to save money. Hmmm... Maybe time for a 1200L...
Old 12-12-10, 11:16 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan@TreeFort
I've had great experience with both the NiteRider and the Light&Motion lights. I've used the NiteRider MiNewt 100 (now its available in 150), which is great for commuting and completely rain proof. Ive also The Light&Motion Stella 300 which is definitely brighter and waterproof but a little more expensive. Also, both have great warranty, just in case.
When looking to upgrade(before getting laid-off...) I was was looking at these two systems. The Mi-Newt is the replacement system for the Trailrat. There is a dual light system as well. As posted above the Stella is much brighter, but more expensive. Along w/a Dinotte one can't go wrong w/any of them. Depends on your needs and fundage.
Old 12-13-10, 01:54 AM
Jonahhobbes
Gutter Bunny

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Simply the best, the brightest and very waterproof:

https://www.nightlightning.co.nz/