Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Newbie needs advice on CL deal for Roubaix

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-15, 10:06 AM
QuakerProf

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Ventura Race

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know I'm opening myself to all kind of flames since I'm new to road biking, but I have been commuting on an aluminum Kona Dr. Fine (Alfine 8 IGH) 20mi/day for about five years and am looking to get into centuries on a road bike. Even riding a friend's all-aluminum road bike was an astounding improvement over the Kona for a recent 30-mile ride, although I've done up to 60 on the Kona.

I've been reading about frame geometries and think I would prefer an endurance-style geometry, more upright, and I'm best for a 52cm frame size. There happens to be one on CL in my area, but I think it's priced a bit high? He is asking 1300 for:

2006 Specialized Roubaix Pro
Ksyrium SL SSC wheel set
Campy Chorus groupset
SRAM Red crank, 53/39
FSA wing handlebar
carbon seatpost
Specialized carbon saddle with titanium rails
new Gatorskinz tires

The Roubaix seems to be a good geometry for my interest, but usually out of my price range, especially for carbon. My new-from-store option is more like a Cannondale Synapse with 105 groupset, which I can get for 1210.

If you are charitably inclined, I would appreciate advice and other alternatives. I have considered the Felt Z85 as well. Ideal price point is 1200. Refuse to use Bikes Direct.

If you are flaming-inclined, then just take a deep breath and move along. Nothing to see here, just a mild-mannered college professor looking for a starter road bike.
Old 07-06-15, 10:20 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I don't know if the wheels are causing the price, but I think that's much too high for a 9 year old roubaix. (Are the wheels also from 2006?)

Specialized bikes tend to be expensive but you can find a brand new roubaix (lower end model) for about $1800 MSRP, and when the new models come out this summer, sales are likely. In MY opinion, they have dramatically improved the frame over the years (I had a 2007 and now have a 2012 SL3)

If that's still too rich for your blood, you can look at the Specialized Secteur (same sort of frame in aluminum) or Giant Defy (carbon and aluminum models)

Synapse frames are under rated too, people like 'em (including my wife). Same deal there, you can wait till the new models come out in a month or two and scoop up a last-year's model on sale if you want carbon.
Old 07-06-15, 10:38 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I don't know if the wheels are causing the price, but I think that's much too high for a 9 year old roubaix. (Are the wheels also from 2006?)

Specialized bikes tend to be expensive but you can find a brand new roubaix (lower end model) for about $1800 MSRP, and when the new models come out this summer, sales are likely. In MY opinion, they have dramatically improved the frame over the years (I had a 2007 and now have a 2012 SL3)

If that's still too rich for your blood, you can look at the Specialized Secteur (same sort of frame in aluminum) or Giant Defy (carbon and aluminum models)

Synapse frames are under rated too, people like 'em (including my wife). Same deal there, you can wait till the new models come out in a month or two and scoop up a last-year's model on sale if you want carbon.

+1

Defy, Synapse and Secteur are all great choices. Defy and Synapse are two recent bike of the year winners. Even in alloy/105 they would be great choices. If you have a Performance Bike nearby they generally have better deals than big brand LBS
Old 07-06-15, 11:00 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Good point on Performance - they stock Fuji bikes, which are good bikes at a great price. I don't know which model is their "endurance" model (gran fondo?) but it might be worth checking into.
Old 07-06-15, 08:00 PM
QuakerProf

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Ventura Race

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another option

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Good point on Performance - they stock Fuji bikes, which are good bikes at a great price. I don't know which model is their "endurance" model (gran fondo?) but it might be worth checking into.
Thanks for the thoughts, folks. It does seem pricey for the age of the bike. Test rode a Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc today and liked it, but would probably need to swap the stem for a 25 degree to make it comfortable. Also pricey, though.

Another Craigslist option is a 2005 Roubaix Elite in good shape for 900. Thoughts?
Old 07-06-15, 08:32 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by QuakerProf
Thanks for the thoughts, folks. It does seem pricey for the age of the bike. Test rode a Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc today and liked it, but would probably need to swap the stem for a 25 degree to make it comfortable. Also pricey, though.

Another Craigslist option is a 2005 Roubaix Elite in good shape for 900. Thoughts?
Product: Fuji Sportif 1.0 LE Road Bike - 2015 Performance Exclusive