Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Short Legs, Long Torso wanting long-distance comfort on Jamis Ventura Race

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-15, 07:04 AM
QuakerProf

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Ventura Race

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Folks,

I'm likely to buy a Jamis Ventura Race (JAMIS BICYCLES) from my LBS, which is matching the Evans Cycles price of 785, plus a small fee for assembly and initial tune up. Tiagra groupset, cheap but reliable wheelset, and good reviews where it has gotten any attention. In many ways similar to the Cannondale Synapse 105, but at a much lower price from a less well-known company. The problem is fit. I'm willing to get a professional fitting once I have a bike, which runs about 100 bucks, but not the whole machine fit without a bike in hand, since that runs 350-400 in my area, almost half the price of my likely purchase. That seems like overkill. I'm in this for charity rides and distance rides 35 to 60 miles for fitness, getting ready for a century ride in the near future. All to supplement my bike commute to work, about 60 to 100 miles per week depending on weather (I don't bike commute in hard rain or temps below 35F/above 90F). I ride at a slow, 17-19mph pace and don't want to be bent over too badly when I'm on the hoods.

Based on my short time with the Jamis Ventura Race at an LBS, the 51cm seems like a good fit, but I would appreciate an informed second opinion. Here are my numbers based on the fit calculator on Competitive Cyclist Bike Fit Calculator | Find Your Bike Size | Competitive Cyclist).

Actual inseam: 30.25 in
Trunk: 24.5 in
Forearm: 13.5 in
Arm: 23.25 in
Thigh: 22 in
Lower leg: 20.25 in
Sternal notch: 53.25 in
Total height: 65.5 in

Here is the geometry of the Jamis Ventura Race in 51cm, but feel free to look at the 54cm's geometry in the Jamis link above:

SIZE 51
CENTER of BB to TOP of TT 18.19/462
ST ANGLE 74
HEADTUBE 5.51/140
HT ANGLE 71.5
EFFECTIVE TT LENGTH 20.67/525
FORK RAKE 1.97/50
BB DROP 2.87/73
CHAINSTAY 16.34/415
WHEELBASE 38.82/986
STANDOVER 29.37/746
REACH 14.45/367
STACK 21.77/553

Please understand that I'm not looking for a comprehensive fit from you folks online, just some guidance on whether I'm better off starting with the 51 or 54 given these numbers and my desire for a more upright geometry. I will then take the bike to a well-reviewed local guy for a basic professional fitting.

Many thanks. The most helpful response gets any Starbucks drink on the menu when passing through Richmond, VA, home of the western terminus of the Virginia Capital Trail.
Old 07-15-15, 08:13 AM
jth1959

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At 5'-5.5" and a 30.25 cycling inseam I wouldn't consider you "short legs, long torso", that sounds more average to me. The 51 seams a reasonable size and with a 140 headtube doesn't sound like it will be an overly aggressive fit. Looking at the 54 the TT is only 53.8 and has a 160 headtube which would probably work also but be more of a relaxed fit. There is very little difference in reach between the two. Although the name is Jamis "Race" this is more endurance geometry than race. As long as the shop has both sizes I would listen to the advise given by the LBS regarding size.
Old 07-15-15, 11:57 AM
QuakerProf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jth1959
At 5'-5.5" and a 30.25 cycling inseam I wouldn't consider you "short legs, long torso", that sounds more average to me. The 51 seams a reasonable size and with a 140 headtube doesn't sound like it will be an overly aggressive fit. Looking at the 54 the TT is only 53.8 and has a 160 headtube which would probably work also but be more of a relaxed fit. There is very little difference in reach between the two. Although the name is Jamis "Race" this is more endurance geometry than race. As long as the shop has both sizes I would listen to the advise given by the LBS regarding size.
Thanks very much for this. Can you explain what you mean when you say that the 160 headtube on the 54 would be "more of a relaxed fit" for me, given the top tube sizes? Do you mean more upright?

I will go to the LBS tonight and ride the 51 and the 54 and get their advice, as you suggest. It seems like if I want to raise the bars on the 51, I can use spacers for the same effect as a longer headtube (within reason), whereas it might be harder to scale down the reach on the 54?
Old 07-15-15, 12:55 PM
jth1959

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, upright. I'm 5'-8" with a 32" cycling inseam and ride a 53cm Bianchi EV3 which has a 130mm headtube with 25mm of spacers. I'm looking at a 53 Infinito CV which has a 155mm headtube. So if I set it up with no spacers I'm in the same position as my older EV3 or I can put a small amount a spacers for less drop. You adjust reach with different stem lengths.
Old 07-15-15, 02:14 PM
QuakerProf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jth1959
Yes, upright. I'm 5'-8" with a 32" cycling inseam and ride a 53cm Bianchi EV3 which has a 130mm headtube with 25mm of spacers. I'm looking at a 53 Infinito CV which has a 155mm headtube. So if I set it up with no spacers I'm in the same position as my older EV3 or I can put a small amount a spacers for less drop. You adjust reach with different stem lengths.
Very helpful, thanks.
Old 07-15-15, 04:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
since you are not buying Levis, what is Your stand over height ?

ride aggressively probably a smaller frame , casual a larger , then get a stem to make the upper body comfortable
agg .. Low , caz, an up angle.
Old 07-15-15, 05:56 PM
QuakerProf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
since you are not buying Levis, what is Your stand over height ?

ride aggressively probably a smaller frame , casual a larger , then get a stem to make the upper body comfortable
agg .. Low , caz, an up angle.
I visited the LBS and went with the 54cm, which only adds 3mm to the top tube and 2mm to the reach, but 20mm to the head tube. I think, with some tweaking, it's going to be great for me.