Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Can't figure out which Kool Stop brake pads I need

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-15, 12:14 PM
QuakerProf

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Ventura Race

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not happy with the standard pads that came with the Tektro R312 brakes on my Jamis road bike, although I love everything else about it for the price I paid. I was thinking of picking up some Kool Stops, which people seem to like a lot based on reviews, but I can't for the life of me figure out which pads I need to order. Would be great if they had a "will it fit" feature on the their web site like the auto bike rack manufacturers have.

Anyone know which of the salmon pads I would need to order? Seems like the best value compared to upgrading the calipers themselves.
Old 10-01-15, 12:33 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It looks like you have cartridge slid-in pads with holders? That's Dura (or Dura2 which is just an update).

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 10-01-15, 12:39 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are only a few different types of pads. These ones should work fine on your bike. They're $20 a pair, but you get two sets of pads per/pair, so it's really like $10 a pair.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00
Old 10-01-15, 12:47 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^ that's why it's worth checking on the holder. If his current Tektro caliper set does not have a separate holder that can be re-used, your option is a good one. If his holders can be re-used, the pad inserts are available for less (like <$6 a pair):

Kool-Stop Dura-Ace/Ultegra RPLCMNT Inser > Components > Drivetrain, Brakes and Pedals > Brake Pads | Jenson USA

Old 10-01-15, 12:48 PM
calimtb
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought my tektro dual pivots were mediocre also.

I realized that all they needed was proper adjustment. I made sure that all pads hit the rim squarely (or as squarely as possible). I made sure to clean the rims and pad surfaces. Then, I made sure I had proper leverage from the levers, by setting the pads further from the rim instead of setting them as closely as I possibly could.

Now, I would rate modulation and power as good to very good. These are nice brakes. Not as nice as top of the line shimano's or even 6800's but I am still nonetheless positively impressed.
Old 10-01-15, 12:53 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dtrain
^ that's why it's worth checking on the holder. If his current Tektro caliper set does not have a separate holder that can be re-used, your option is a good one. If his holders can be re-used, the pad inserts are available for less (like <$6 a pair):

Kool-Stop Dura-Ace/Ultegra RPLCMNT Inser > Components > Drivetrain, Brakes and Pedals > Brake Pads | Jenson USA

Good info. If I had to guess, since they're tektro, they didn't come with holders. (Mine didn't, just came with the solid rubber pads.) I literally just bought the ones I linked in a few days ago.
Old 10-01-15, 12:59 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
Good info. If I had to guess, since they're tektro, they didn't come with holders. (Mine didn't, just came with the solid rubber pads.) I literally just bought the ones I linked in a few days ago.
In the Shimano caliper line: 105 and up have a pad and holder; Tiagra and down have a solid rubber block. My sense is that Tektro runs the same -- at some 'price point' you get a pad + holder (but I'll admit that's a bit of a guess). Next time around you might be able to save a little by just buying the pads. The route you just went would also be nec. for someone upgrading a Tiagra set.

Old 10-01-15, 02:59 PM
Fly2High

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Secteur Sport

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a 2014 Spec. Secteur with Sora and some sort of brakes without holders. I added the Dura holder and they work better than the original pads I had. I wanted the holder. The KoolStop pads do help with modulation and stopping power for me and I wonder if the holder stiffened the pad to help in some small way. Not sure but all I do know is they are better.