Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Anyone used Cycliq Fly6 or similar video camera footage in court?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-15, 12:55 PM
QuakerProf

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Ventura Race

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been thinking of getting a Fly6 for my bike since I mostly do commuting with it and like the idea of having video documentation of anything that happens to me. I'm careful and follow the law, wear hi-vis and a helmet, etc., but people pass me with less than the legally required 3 feet all the time and I worry about getting sideswiped some day.

Has anyone on BF used Fly6, GoPro, or similar on-board video to their advantage in court after an accident? Obviously, there will be variation depending on your state, but I'm interested in all experiences.
Old 10-03-15, 07:47 PM
DocLiv

Bikes: Focus Cayo Evo 3, Focus Mares AX 3, Trek Millennia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Fly6 and use it on my road bike and commuter bike. I haven't had to use it in court yet, thankfully I've had no accidents or incidents. I use it for both day and night riding and I've noticed a big difference in the room people give me when they pass versus my old light or no light at all. It's pretty rare now that people pass me closer than I feel comfortable with. It's like they know they are on camera, but I suspect it's because the light is bright and gets their attention. The camera works well and takes pretty good quality video. I'm very pleased with it.
Old 10-03-15, 08:23 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I haven't but I have seen a truck driver in court use a cell phone video from while he was driving to show that he was being harassed and the judge accepted it gladly so I don't see why a helmet or other bike cam wouldn't get the same respect. From the same judge, at least.
Old 10-05-15, 01:57 AM
Cycliq

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys - as the CEO of Cycliq, makers of Fly6 and soon to be released Fly12 (for the front of the bike) I can say that we have seen a number of cases around the world where Fly6 footage has been used in court, in police stations and with insurance companies. I assume QuakerProf, you are asking if there are any cases in the USA? I try to keep tabs on what is happening but I can't keep up with them all! I did get an email yesterday saying Fly6 footage was used by the Boulder County Sheriffs office to ticket a driver. The details are on Close Call Database For Cycling where they monitor and record close calls & incidents between motorists and cyclists across the USA (& the rest of the world). Hope that helps....regards, Andrew Hagen
Old 10-06-15, 01:54 PM
QuakerProf

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Ventura Race

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First, it's awesome that you found and replied to my post here. Thanks very much, and also to the other posters. I am not aware of any cases using video regarding bike collisions in my state (Virginia), but I'm encouraged by what you report about use of the footage in other jurisdictions. I also suspect that, much like software available for laptops that records and sends video footage of the person who stole the device when connected to the web, footage from this device would get the local police department interested in doing more than filing a report if anything happened. It would be pretty tough to ignore video footage that includes a license plate number.

Having considered all of this, plus the added bonus of being able to see a new view of my rides that go without incident, I decided to purchase one. Installed it and will be using it on my commute.

Originally Posted by Cycliq
Hi guys - as the CEO of Cycliq, makers of Fly6 and soon to be released Fly12 (for the front of the bike) I can say that we have seen a number of cases around the world where Fly6 footage has been used in court, in police stations and with insurance companies. I assume QuakerProf, you are asking if there are any cases in the USA? I try to keep tabs on what is happening but I can't keep up with them all! I did get an email yesterday saying Fly6 footage was used by the Boulder County Sheriffs office to ticket a driver. The details are on Close Call Database For Cycling where they monitor and record close calls & incidents between motorists and cyclists across the USA (& the rest of the world). Hope that helps....regards, Andrew Hagen
Old 10-06-15, 06:40 PM
Cycliq

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by QuakerProf
First, it's awesome that you found and replied to my post here. Thanks very much, and also to the other posters. I am not aware of any cases using video regarding bike collisions in my state (Virginia), but I'm encouraged by what you report about use of the footage in other jurisdictions. I also suspect that, much like software available for laptops that records and sends video footage of the person who stole the device when connected to the web, footage from this device would get the local police department interested in doing more than filing a report if anything happened. It would be pretty tough to ignore video footage that includes a license plate number.

Having considered all of this, plus the added bonus of being able to see a new view of my rides that go without incident, I decided to purchase one. Installed it and will be using it on my commute.
I can't direct message you yet so please as for me by using our contact form on our website. thanks
Old 10-07-15, 07:03 AM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 132 Posts
I was successful in having a driver charged with passing too close using video. I use a ContourHD camera - forward facing. Police issued him a ticket for $300, he contested it. We went to court.

There were a number of excuses of course:

1) I swerved - video doesn't show that bud.

2) vehicle couldn't stop in time (Ford F150 towing camper trailer) - he had 150m to, at least, slow down from 80kph (speed limit) to 30kph (my speed). Your vehicle can't do that? Shouldn't be on the road then.

3) video was tampered with - the camera shoots 30 fps, the video was 1' 15" long which means I had to edit over 2,000 images between the time I called police and when they showed up at my house 3 hours later.

I won the court case.

I didn't have a Fly6 at the time, but I have since purchased a Fly6. The Fly6 wouldn't have helped too much as, here in my province, our motor vehicles do not have front plates. I think though that a rear facing camera would provide some context/support for the forward facing video.

I find the Fly6 to be a great camera. I have yet to wear down the battery on a ride and my longest ride to date was 5 hours and it was running 95% of the time (shut down for stops). It's a tough camera! I have a large seat bag on my touring bike so it can't be mounted there. I used a piece of 1" diameter aluminum pipe mounted to my rear rack and affixed the Fly6 to that. I guess the rack moves a bit because, when I hit a rough section of pavement (at speed), the thing flew off and bounced over the road into the ditch. Not a scratch and works fine.
I have never had the Fly6 fly (no pun) off the seat post on my road bike or commuter bike, so it is quite safe in the mount they provide. I used the thing in rain at least 4 times over the summer, not a problem.

I find the audio muffled though. I sent Cycliq an example, but they seem to feel it is ok. I can hear it if the computer volume is maxed and the speaker volume is at 75%.

The light could be brighter for day use, but is excellent at night.

I recommend it.

Last edited by digger; 10-07-15 at 07:11 AM.