Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

oops

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-16, 01:07 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
oops

Old 05-24-16, 01:38 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
That's funny. I've been thinking the past two days about reinstalling my roof-top racks and taking off my hitch rack. Guess I wanted to look "cool". Probably better to go on being a nerd.

My hitch rack obscures my license plate and I'm kinda waiting for the police to say something. Enough have seen it and I suppose they don't really care, (I'm a fairly conservative driver). I have a RAV4 also, but a newer one than in the advert.
Old 05-24-16, 03:39 PM
dachshund

Bikes: Seven Alaris custom road bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I saw that the other night, it's hysterical. Sadly, that would be me if I ever put my bike on top of my car. A test of short-term memory that I would fail! (I'm glad my bike fits inside my Prius.)
Old 05-24-16, 04:31 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Nice lady at the end, laughing at another person's misfortune.

I don't know. Maybe I just don't have a sense of humor but making fun of cyclists doesn't make me want to buy tires from tire rack.

-Tim-
Old 05-24-16, 04:52 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
A bit sensitive are we?
Old 05-24-16, 06:36 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I laughed at that ad with zero reservation. Why? Because I have done stupid stuff like that over the years.

Besides, it's just an ad.
Old 05-24-16, 06:48 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Nice lady at the end, laughing at another person's misfortune.

I don't know. Maybe I just don't have a sense of humor but making fun of cyclists doesn't make me want to buy tires from tire rack.

-Tim-
Seems like she knows him. And i suspect he's a jerk so she laughed.

Come on, we all all love a train wreck. And i'm sure you slowdown when passing an accident on the side of the road.

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 05-26-16 at 05:57 AM.
Old 05-24-16, 07:03 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I had a boss years ago that attempted to pull into his garage... with his bike on his vans roof rack. According to him... very little damage was done to the bike (tire and wheel). The garage door was damaged and needed professional repair. He laughed about it... but I didn't actually see the humor.
Old 05-25-16, 07:52 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
That's funny. I've been thinking the past two days about reinstalling my roof-top racks and taking off my hitch rack. Guess I wanted to look "cool". Probably better to go on being a nerd.

My hitch rack obscures my license plate and I'm kinda waiting for the police to say something. Enough have seen it and I suppose they don't really care, (I'm a fairly conservative driver). I have a RAV4 also, but a newer one than in the advert.
Do you really think they look cool? I have a roof rack, but I only use it on endurance races. Otherwise, I just toss the bike in the back of the car. I went with the roof rack, because it can be used for other stuff (storage, kayak, skis), but I think the hitch racks are the best way to go. Less wind resistance, no bugs on the bike, easier to get on and off, and no worries about low overhangs.

I actually drove through a low overpass like that about 30 years ago. I was lucky enough that all it did was nick the bike seat and put a small tear in the cover. I also have a friend who's husband destroyed her beloved Trek 1200 that way. They divorced!

Old 05-25-16, 03:34 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I know me! A long time ago I decided to never buy a roof rack. Great laugh! Yeah, women treat me like that.......

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 05-26-16, 01:18 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Do you really think they look cool? I have a roof rack, but I only use it on endurance races. Otherwise, I just toss the bike in the back of the car. I went with the roof rack, because it can be used for other stuff (storage, kayak, skis), but I think the hitch racks are the best way to go. Less wind resistance, no bugs on the bike, easier to get on and off, and no worries about low overhangs.

I actually drove through a low overpass like that about 30 years ago. I was lucky enough that all it did was nick the bike seat and put a small tear in the cover. I also have a friend who's husband destroyed her beloved Trek 1200 that way. They divorced!
I don't think it's just the bugs on the bike. If you drive through a rainstorm, and you are doing 65mph, that's just like pressure washing your bikes... and the bearings in the headset and the BB (and maybe even the wheels).

We don't have any problems. We bought a van specifically because we wanted something we could put the bikes in and they would be secure even if we aren't with the car (I leave it all day in a ferry terminal car park while I am work), and protected from the weather at all times. The only time I have used a rear rack with our bikes was when we moved from one state to another and we had three bikes inside, and four on the outside...
Old 05-26-16, 06:14 AM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
This rack is great, bit pricey. https://www.1upusa.com/
Old 05-26-16, 08:35 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts
A house down the street has a big sign over the garage doors: "DO YOU HAVE A BIKE ON THE ROOF?" I bet there's a history to that.
Old 05-26-16, 01:38 PM
wished

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountain Mitch
A house down the street has a big sign over the garage doors: "DO YOU HAVE A BIKE ON THE ROOF?" I bet there's a history to that.
Now that is just funny, and I also agree there is some history there
Old 05-26-16, 01:47 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I use a roof rack , I always put my garage remote in the trunk , to avoid that problem at home. It's worked so far ( fingers crossed )