Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Looking at Specialized and considering carbon

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-16, 02:02 PM
dachshund

Bikes: Seven Alaris custom road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I’m about to start shopping for a lightweight hybrid. I have a titanium road bike that I use for long rides, and it's very light. I had a Trek FX 7.4 for a while, but I just never felt great riding it. It was very heavy - a chore to hoist into my car, and it just felt… slow. I’m sure it was an unfair comparison to my road bike. It felt less responsive in general.

I want a hybrid for doing errands around town and I don’t want to leave my road bike locked up unattended. I frequently get the errand done and then want to ride more. I think I should spring for something much lighter than the Trek, so I’m considering carbon. I'm female and will look at the Vita and Sirrus, for starters.

Are the carbon models that much lighter than the aluminum E5? I’m curious if people tried both. I know there’s personal preference here, but I’m interested in people’s experience.

Disc brakes - are they worth it at all for riding on pavement? I don’t anticipate riding steep hills with this bike, and the disc brakes add some weight to the bike. I only go off road if it’s by accident. :-)

Thanks!
Amy