Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pound for Pound, $ for $, What's the Best Bang for the Buck in a Hybrid?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-16, 11:07 AM
DavyKOTWF

Bikes: The Fuji Samurai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm talking what's the Cadillac or Mercedes or Challenger Hellcat or top of the line Jeep Wrangler
for the money out there? Keeping it between $500 and $2000 for this Hybrid?

And what's the best way to find it, just buy rebuilt used at a bike shop or Craigslist?

I've heard Trek, CannonBall Quick Speed, Giant Escape, Del Sol for $500-$600. . .

Last edited by DavyKOTWF; 06-11-16 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-11-16, 12:35 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Cadillac, Mercedes, Challenger or Jeep Wrangler - on road, gravel road, maybe even a little bit of off road. I think that you are covering too much space with your comparisons. To pick out what's best for you first you have to define your needs. Bikes are the same. The range of bikes that are available today from manufacturers span a very wide range of potential uses and mix of uses. I hesitate to even use the word "hybrid" anymore.

If you don't have a bike now, get one. Ride ANY bike around for six weeks or so and keep a mental list of what you like about it and what you hate. Your list will be a little different from anybody else but it's the only one that counts. At the same time, think about where and how you actually ride - how much urban, how much crushed limestone. You can't pick out your dream bike until you figure out what your dream is.
Old 06-11-16, 12:44 PM
Pendergast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Cadillac, Mercedes, Challenger or Jeep Wrangler - on road, gravel road, maybe even a little bit of off road. I think that you are covering too much space with your comparisons. To pick out what's best for you first you have to define your needs. Bikes are the same. The range of bikes that are available today from manufacturers span a very wide range of potential uses and mix of uses. I hesitate to even use the word "hybrid" anymore.

If you don't have a bike now, get one. Ride ANY bike around for six weeks or so and keep a mental list of what you like about it and what you hate. Your list will be a little different from anybody else but it's the only one that counts. At the same time, think about where and how you actually ride - how much urban, how much crushed limestone. You can't pick out your dream bike until you figure out what your dream is.
+1

Well said.
Old 06-11-16, 01:06 PM
DavyKOTWF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question was, "$ for $, what's the best hybrid?"
Does anything beat an 8.3 DS Trek?
Old 06-11-16, 01:54 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Dollar for dollar, they're all about the same.
Old 06-11-16, 02:19 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I recently shopped for a new bike, and formed the impression that within the huge swath of bikes in the $500 to $1000 range (give or take), you really can't go wrong if you get something from a reputable brand and dealer. In my old age I've come to believe that there's no substitute for comfort.

You can take more risks if you're more handy with tools. I think this is one of the reasons why it's hard to judge whether it's a good idea to get a used bike, or mail-order.

And get something that looks nice. Buy something that makes you happy. You'll soon forget the extra 100 bucks.
Old 06-11-16, 02:36 PM
JGM411

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2 2014(i think) Giant Defy Advanced 2 2013 Trek 7.3, 1973 Schwinn Continental, 1967 AMF Hercules

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
A used bike that wasn't ridden is going to give you more value. However, you haven't given the group much information about the way you want to ride a bike. It's kind of like recommending Corvette or Ferrari as a pizza delivery vehicle if a delivery van would suffice.

what kind of riding do you do? how many miles do you ride? frequency? etc? give us bit more info.

do you ride 5 miles a day three days a week? or do you ride 20 miles a day 7 days a week? 50 miles a month vs 800 miles per month?

you get the picture...
Old 06-11-16, 03:07 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by DavyKOTWF
Question was, "$ for $, what's the best hybrid?"
Does anything beat an 8.3 DS Trek?
Giant Escape 1. same retail price. Better components. Weighs 5 or 6 lbs less then the Trek.

Jamis Coda. Nice, Reynolds steel frame (as opposed to aluminum. Weighs 5 lbs less than the Trek. Can still handle light offroad.

Specialized Sirrus Sport disc. Better components. Weighs less. Hydraulic disc brakes. Better on pavement, but still decent off road.

The only thing the DS has going for it is the suspension fork with lockout. But at this price range, I am not a fan of suspension forks. Others disagree, but I just don't like them.
Old 06-11-16, 03:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Huge factories making multiple brands in Asia.. then shipping them to Importers . Go test ride bikes , Pick shop preferred, then buy a Bike there..

in $500~$600 price point, they will be more similar than different.
Old 06-11-16, 04:09 PM
DavyKOTWF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all for the great answers! "All about the same" Makes sense. MrT, I'm looking those up.
Good to see JG's got a Schwinn...albeit a '73. Now I heard that the Japanese or Chinese took over
Schwinn and they're no longer the same great solid bike. So I take it, some people have more than
just one bike??!
Old 06-11-16, 04:35 PM
Pendergast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most of the people who post regularly on this forum probably have more than one bike. Some people have different bikes for different types of riding. Some people hang on to their old bikes when they get something new. Some people like collecting bikes.
Old 06-11-16, 05:33 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I'll add this. You apparently don't know what you want. Don't limit yourself. You think you want a hybrid, but you should test ride other styles too. We still haven't heard what kind of riding you're planning - maybe you should be looking at road bikes?
Old 06-11-16, 06:05 PM
DavyKOTWF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought I wanted a hybrid, since I do 80% trail 20% road. I'd like to build up to 50 miles a week of the same. From a dead start 6 weeks ago, I did 24 miles this week. These are up and down hilly trails.

Now someone suggested a light touring bike, like the Cannondale Synapse Alloy.
The main diff's are the drop down bars? Both have slightly wider tires than a strict street bike?
Old 06-11-16, 06:15 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Thanks all for the great answers! "All about the same" Makes sense. MrT, I'm looking those up.
Good to see JG's got a Schwinn...albeit a '73. Now I heard that the Japanese or Chinese took over
Schwinn and they're no longer the same great solid bike. So I take it, some people have more than
just one bike??!
More than one? Absolutely!!! Is it necessary? No. I have 4 bikes. The miles I have ridden this year on 3 of them combined is still 1/3 of what I have ridden on the 4th. I love them all, but that 4th, that is my go to bike. Everything from the fit to the ride of it is dialed in. When I want to go for a ride, that one gets the duty.

It is hard to get one bike that does everything well. Unless you are riding serious mountain bike trails, I would avoid anything with a suspension fork. Most of the big brands make a good hybrid, that Trek DS 8.3 is hard to beat. Head to some bike shops and start test riding as many as you can.
Old 06-11-16, 10:03 PM
MRT2

I thought I wanted a hybrid, since I do 80% trail 20% road. I'd like to build up to 50 miles a week of the same. From a dead start 6 weeks ago, I did 24 miles this week. These are up and down hilly trails.

Now someone suggested a light touring bike, like the Cannondale Synapse Alloy.
The main diff's are the drop down bars? Both have slightly wider tires than a strict street bike?
Paved trails or dirt trails?
Old 06-12-16, 06:56 AM
DavyKOTWF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dirt and pea gravel. Now I read about Cyclocross! Cyclocross - i yi yiii. Used to just be Mt Bike and Road Bike. This CycloCross looks like it's just a Hybrid except with drop down bars. Is that right?
Old 06-12-16, 07:37 AM
MRT2

Dirt and pea gravel. Now I read about Cyclocross! Cyclocross - i yi yiii. Used to just be Mt Bike and Road Bike. This CycloCross looks like it's just a Hybrid except with drop down bars. Is that right?
More like a road bike but with higher bottom bracket, and clearance for wider tires.
Old 06-12-16, 07:38 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
There are some other subtle differences like bottom bracket height. CycloCross has a much more macho image than Hybrid.
Old 06-12-16, 08:50 AM
DavyKOTWF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That pretty much settles it then...I want the Charles Bronson macho image.
Old 06-12-16, 12:19 PM
dachshund

Bikes: Seven Alaris custom road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just shopped for and bought my second bike. I have a road bike that I love, so I thought a hybrid was in order - second bike is for running errands and light riding. The choices available now are staggering. You can get a road bike with flat bars. Endurance vs. racing frames. A variety of materials and components. I'm an experienced cyclist and I found this overwhelming (I don't shop often).

Make a new hobby out of test riding bikes, is what I recommend. If you can't tell the difference between any of them, get what the store recommends. If you feel one's better than the rest, then you're on the right track.
Old 08-28-16, 08:50 AM
therealjoeblow

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 1 | 2002 Giant Sedona LX | 1980s Norco Monterey SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$ for $, I find Giant offers better components than Trek, Scott, Norco, Specialized and others.

When comparing at the same component level, I find Giant to be lower cost for the same thing.

Giant manufactures Trek's frames for them, along with some others.

Specific to the Trek DS line that was mentioned, I think the Giant Roam offers better value.

My $0.02.

Cheers TRJB

Last edited by therealjoeblow; 08-28-16 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-28-16, 09:27 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Pound for pound and $ for $ ???

Nothing beats Craigslist. Be patient and keep stalking Craigslist and sooner or later you're gonna come across a barely ridden, high end hybrid (assuming that's what you really want).

CL is full of folks looking to sell their unused toys for "get it out of here" prices. Sure, you gotta wade through the crazies and scammers, but every time I've ever scoured CL I've managed to find some listing of a Garage Queen item where a great deal could be made. The key here is patience. The more specific your demand, the more patient you might have to be.

All of the hybrids from the major players are more similar than they want you to believe. I'm guessing most of the frames are probably made in the same factories too. It comes down to hair-splitting differences in component specs and color preferences, really.

Be flexible and keep a close eye on CL and you can pick up a deal pretty cheap. Then, follow Retro's advice. After that you can either re-list the hybrid or start building your stable.

-Kedosto
Old 08-28-16, 09:37 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
[QUOTE=Kedosto;19016458]Pound for pound and $ for $ ???

Nothing beats Craigslist. Be patient and keep stalking Craigslist and sooner or later you're gonna come across a barely ridden, high end hybrid (assuming that's what you really want)./QUOTE]

The metal pile at the local dump can, as might yard sales, or dumpsters near local colleges after spring semester.

If the OP really wants to know about hybrid bikes why not ask on the hybrid forum?