Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Is your cycling a sport or pastime?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Is your cycling a sport or pastime?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-16, 09:57 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Recreation and a pastime. It's a recreational activity with a fitness benifit. It's also a pastime while I'm aquiring, restoring and maintaining my collection.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 06-12-16, 09:57 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Transportation and recreation. I have another activity -- playing music -- that demands active training and practice, more like a sport.
Old 06-12-16, 01:00 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Transportation and recreation.

Not interested in the sports aspect anymore. Got that out of my system decades ago.
Old 06-12-16, 01:11 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
If you have a computer and track your stats, then it's a sport.

If you want to ride with her, it's a ........ hobby.

Golf:
If you drive a cart, it's a game.
If you carry your bag and walk, it's a sport.
Old 06-12-16, 01:33 PM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wait... why would I want to ride with her? Who is she? I like the bike!

I want to say hobby, but actually considering the amount I've been riding I would say it should really be classified as a daydream.
Old 06-12-16, 02:27 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
sport/utility

I ride to maintain not to train. No racing but riding with the group is usually intense so I would consider the riding to be sport. Utility riding would be on my hybrid for food shopping, doctor/blood work visits, home improvement supplies.....anytime I can use the bike instead of the minivan.

Excellent high tops and matching socks!!!!
Old 06-12-16, 03:34 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Definitely neither. I've never been able to think of cycling as a sport. I also think that operating any sort of machine on public roads requires a more serious attitude than "pastime."

It's always been transportation for me. That does not keep it from being fun, but it is still transportation, and I give it the same care that I bring to driving or flying.
Old 06-12-16, 03:39 PM
Miami Biker

Bikes: 2018 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 404s 2014 Cervelo R5, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Great question and obviously we each have different takes Guess many things to me.

First a fitness activity to increase longevity, brain work, weight, stamina etc.

Second a sport in getting right pedal strokes, cadence, body position, breathing, nutrition to compete against other riders in your group, yourself or yourself via strava. Strava offers for example: despite being 71 for 50+ segments, I'm at 67th percentile for everyone and 62nd percentile for those over 65; and just below 50th percentile for my group who are from 24 to 72 years old with about age 50 average. Yes happy with these results.

Third it's a social activity riding with nice people and then Starbucking it before the end of each ride to be together; also we get together for birthdays and the like.
Old 06-12-16, 03:56 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Miami Biker
Great question and obviously we each have different takes Guess many things to me.

First a fitness activity to increase longevity, brain work, weight, stamina etc.

Second a sport in getting right pedal strokes, cadence, body position, breathing, nutrition to compete against other riders in your group, yourself or yourself via strava. Strava offers for example: despite being 71 for 50+ segments, I'm at 67th percentile for everyone and 62nd percentile for those over 65; and just below 50th percentile for my group who are from 24 to 72 years old with about age 50 average. Yes happy with these results.

Third it's a social activity riding with nice people and then Starbucking it before the end of each ride to be together; also we get together for birthdays and the like.
I like that.
Old 06-12-16, 04:20 PM
jbylake 

Bikes: Cannondale CX3, Canondale Synapse Specialized Transition Expert

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't given it that much thought. Depends on the day, how I feel, If I turn on the Garmin or not, and how hard I ride, that day. I do a mix of recreational cruising, and training a bit. No races or anything like that. I almost always ride solo, so fellow riders don't dictate that I push it, or just cruise at my own pace. I don't keep records, I just do what I feel on any given day, so I suppose it's a pastime.
Old 06-12-16, 04:54 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Headwinds. When the wind is blowing hard do you take a training ride straight into it knowing your times are going to stink? You just might be riding for sport.
Old 06-12-16, 05:00 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Sport and pastime (or recreation) aren't really mutually exclusive. When I play golf, it is a sporting activity, but it is also recreation and certainly is a pastime.

As another poster noted, "sport" classically involves some level of competition or uncertainty of outcome. Bicycling certainly can be a sport, but when I go out for a ride in the country that doesn't really meet the traditional definition. Being an athletic activity doesn't automatically make it sporting.
Old 06-12-16, 05:16 PM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wonder if it has to be defined as anything... I like kayaks better than jet skis, dogsleds better than snowmobiles, and bikes better than cars. Seems more like a preference than a sport or hobby. I'll bet the commuters and car-free are like that, too. And I'll bet you'd have to add in art appreciation for the C&V crowd. And the something different for the touring folk.
Old 06-12-16, 05:29 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
I said that I do cycle, but don't do any sports. My rides are a mix of riding for the enjoyment/scenery with intervals of riding harder to help my fitness, and some said that they would consider that as a sporting activity. .
Good question but for me, not an easy one to answer. Off the bike with a broken clavicle at the moment but, when i'm riding, I ride to work and back which neither. I also do club rides which sometimes (but not often) get competitive, so some sport there but it's not the over-riding theme for sure.

Then sometimes I ride events which are timed (which would make it a sport) but I don't try to win or even place well so it's accurately more of a pastime . . . at least for me.

When I first saw the question I wondered "What does it matter?" but then I got to thinking that maybe to some riders it really might matter.

Big picture, for me, whether it's a timed event or not it's a good fun time with probably some health benefits (given that I don't crash!) plus a fun social time with friends who share the same experience. So yes, I consider it all good and each of you is welcome to put upon it any label you like!

Rick / OCRR
Old 06-12-16, 05:42 PM
ltxi

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes...
Old 06-12-16, 05:54 PM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
A sport, and a pass time for me. It's all about the endorphins.......
Old 06-12-16, 06:39 PM
ButchA

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
At age 55, I guess it can be an addicting sport just like golf.

Not to be crude, but I have been teased and called a "fart in the wind" as I'm over here doing this, I'm over there, I'm always running around with boundless energy.

I don't have a carbon frame racing bicycle and don't wear a full kit either. I have no intentions of racing or doing time trials. I just want to get some exercise, build up endurance, and enjoy the scenery as I pass by.

Bicycling
Golf
Jogging
Dog Walking (um, I mean - the dogs take ME for a walk! ha ha...)
Old 06-12-16, 09:36 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Upper 70's. Combine trail bicycling, mtn/single track, swimming, resistance training, stretching, walking for fitness. Never ever considered myself an "athlete" but neighbors seem to think I am a bit different!! My riding is recreational and "howdy" types of rides. Certainly not a sport for me.
Old 06-13-16, 03:36 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I would select fitness and pastime not sport. To me sport involves competition with others or yourself. I don't race, I don't train. I ride for pleasure - typically 25-30 miles - and on short route days will throw in a handful of brief all-out sprints for fitness. I also take an overseas biking trip every year but those are, again, for pleasure and do not involve highly challenging. competitive rides.
Old 06-13-16, 07:35 AM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
sport/utility

I ride to maintain not to train. No racing but riding with the group is usually intense so I would consider the riding to be sport. Utility riding would be on my hybrid for food shopping, doctor/blood work visits, home improvement supplies.....anytime I can use the bike instead of the minivan.

Excellent high tops and matching socks!!!!
please post a few more pics, from different angles. That would help me decide....
Old 06-13-16, 07:42 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,646 Times in 952 Posts
Transportation first. I mostly bike commute. Then recreational sport or pastime. Whichever word floats your boat.

Speaking of which. I would love to ride with her. Doubt she would want to ride with me. Nice pic tho.
Old 06-13-16, 07:47 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Yes, I consider cycling a sport and pastime. Group rides generally end up being competitive a few times every ride and the rest is for fitness/enjoyment. I'd also consider playing recreational ice hockey a sport and the intensity of competition is similar.
Old 06-13-16, 08:06 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
My wife and kids would say that it's my obsession. I'd say it's my way of life.

Old 06-13-16, 09:17 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
For me cycling is a way of life.

SP
OC, OR
Old 06-13-16, 09:57 AM
dachshund

Bikes: Seven Alaris custom road bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All of the above. It's definitely a fitness activity when I ride hills. But the scenery is gorgeous, and being out in the wild is exhilarating. I will race to keep up with faster riders, so there's some sport going on. I use a bike for transportation, like when I ride to the gym. But when the weather's nice, half the time I get to the gym and keep riding. :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.