Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-16, 01:43 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I'm asking the other old timers (like me) what "flat resistant" tire is easiest to get off the rim and back on if you have a flat on the road or bike trail? I'm talking 700x23.
The reason I ask is because I've always used Continental GP4000Si and haven't had problems. But yesterday I was in the garage mounting a new set of tires on my new wheels. After two attempts and two pinch flats I gave up and went to the bike shop. The mechanic (who is younger and much stronger) had a heck of a time and he too had two pinch flats before giving up.
The shop owner said they sell a lot of Michelin Pro4 Service Course. I was thinking maybe those or Michelin Pro4 Endurance for the extra flat protection.
Any thoughts?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 06-26-16 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-26-16, 07:04 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
Hey Ron,

Use a tire jack to mount your tires, and you will never have a problem, regardless of the brand or model of tire you are using. I've used Conti GP 4000S tires for years, and they seem to have progressively become more difficult to mount. I used to be able to mount them just using my thumbs, now find myself breaking out the tire jack. Never never never use tire irons to mount a tire, or you will surely end up getting a pinch flat.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 06-26-16, 07:16 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Hey Ron,

Use a tire jack to mount your tires, and you will never have a problem, regardless of the brand or model of tire you are using. I've used Conti GP 4000S tires for years, and they seem to have progressively become more difficult to mount. I used to be able to mount them just using my thumbs, now find myself breaking out the tire jack. Never never never use tire irons to mount a tire, or you will surely end up getting a pinch flat.
Just to be clear, you don't think a lever should be used to mount a tire?
I haven't done that for a long, long, long, long time. Haven't had to resort to the tire jack that I have in recent memory, either.
Old 06-26-16, 09:07 PM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
sad to say...

Originally Posted by RonH
I'm asking the other old timers (like me) what "flat resistant" tire is easiest to get off the rim and back on if you have a flat on the road or bike trail? I'm talking 700x23.
The reason I ask is because I've always used Continental GP4000Si and haven't had problems. But yesterday I was in the garage mounting a new set of tires on my new wheels. After two attempts and two pinch flats I gave up and went to the bike shop. The mechanic (who is younger and much stronger) had a heck of a time and he too had two pinch flats before giving up.
The shop owner said they sell a lot of Michelin Pro4 Service Course. I was thinking maybe those or Michelin Pro4 Endurance for the extra flat protection.
Any thoughts?
First rule is to only use Kevlar bead tires, not wire bead. If they were wire bead, try a foldable tire. I find Conti Gatorskins easy to mount on any of my rims but must sadly tell you it may be the wheel rim and not the tire. Wheels with a fairly deep groove in the middle lets the tire bead sink into it and thus makes the tire easier to stretch over the other side. Wheels with little or no dip in the middle are much harder to mount a tire on. A little soapy water can also help the tire slip over the rim. If you aren't ensuring the tire bead is in the middle of the rim that could be another possible issue. Even pro's have moved to 25c tires as they are softer and roll better than 23c tires. Consider them but that's another thread.
Old 06-27-16, 05:38 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Today I woke up to the reality that I'm seventy years old. Yesterday, I celebrated early by winning my age group at my state masters track championship.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 06-27-16, 09:40 AM
dachshund

Bikes: Seven Alaris custom road bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnTechwriter
January of this year I turned 66. The following month I started riding again after five years off the bike. I didn't overdo it and my body responded well. Now in May I'm good for 50 miles in the hill country around Oakland, CA. My plan is to train through the summer and, after Labor Day, ride up Hwy 97 from CA into Oregon and then take Hwy 58 across the Cascades to end up in Seaside, where my brother and his wife live.

I've been retired since 2012 and my sedentary lifestyle was draining my physical and mental resources. Having been a cyclist most of my life I found this to be a terrifying experience. If it kept up I'd be elderly at 70 and geriatric at 75, if I lived that long.

So it seemed to me I had no choice but to get back on the bike, despite my "advanced" age. I'm happy to say the experience has been overwhelmingly positive. My weight and blood pressure are down, I practically spring out of a chair, I can hold my own with the medium-speed bunch in my club with no problem, and the low-grade depression that set in after retirement has taken a vacation.

Not a whole lot of years may lie before me but nevertheless I once again feel I have a future. Much of it will be devoted to eating healthy, spending quality time with my family, and riding as if my life depended on it. Because it does. I know that now.
I know this was posted a while ago, but I'd like to say that going from the couch to 50 miles in the Oakland hills is really something! Congratulations! Ever venture out to Mount Diablo? That's my current favorite nemesis.
Old 06-27-16, 07:10 PM
RonH
Life is good

I've been using GP 3000 and 4000 for over 12 years. The problem is age (I'm 71) and the new rims. My Litespeed has Mavic Open Pros and I don't have problems with them. My problem is with the new wheels. They have Velocity A23 rims. I'm having a tough time and the shop mechanic is too. Thats why I'm asking for suggestions for easy to mount tires and easy to change when I have bad luck on the road or trail.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 06-27-16, 10:08 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Ron H - Get one of these for your bike tool bag.

https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...tire-bead-jack

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 06-28-16, 10:35 AM
RonH
Life is good

Watched a youtube video of how it works. Very cool. Now - cramming it into my seat pack.

Still searching for easier to mount tires. The bike shop owner is "researching" easy to install flat resistant tires for me.

Old 06-28-16, 02:19 PM
RonH
Life is good

Ok. I ordered one. Hope it works as well as it did in the video.

Old 06-28-16, 06:41 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by ctpres
The answer to ones max heart rate can be found many ways. Doing it on a bike should produce good results but I wonder if finding my MHR climbing hills till I puke or see stars at 76 is a good idea. With insurance an exercise stress test cost is typically $200 to $300 and is supervised. For now I slow down or stop and rest when I hit 160 but suspect I could go well beyond that. Up till now 99% of my riding has been flat land. This summer I plan to spend a couple months in CO. and would like to have some kind of safe limit I can ride by. If I keep the 160 I would probably be stopping every mile and that is not much of a ride. My question is - what do you do?
Have to confess I'm not quite old enough to sit an the big folks table here yet (63 in 2 weeks) but I'd like to chime in anyway if that's ok! I've gone for stress tests twice since 2007 (might be due?), and in neither case could I convince them to test me for my max. Nor would they tell me my LT. These docs were interested in investigating to detect possible health issues, not teach me how to ride faster.
Old 06-28-16, 06:45 PM
rawly old

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would work on developing powerful thumbs....,& maybe a slight mist
of spray lube.

Last edited by rawly old; 06-28-16 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-29-16, 05:33 AM
RonH
Life is good

Today I woke up to the reality that I'm seventy years old. Yesterday, I celebrated early by winning my age group at my state masters track championship.
I just noticed this. Kudos to you on the win.

Old 06-29-16, 06:26 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Is this problem with mounting tires on certain rims related to the trend toward tubeless tires on road bikes and resulting changes in rim design? I know that with my GP4000s 700x25 tires on my wheels with H+Son rims that I was able to mount them without tools. My older road bike has 700x28 Gatorskins with wire beads and that does call for some tool assistance. Fortunately, in the three years or so that they've been on there I've been flat-free and will probably just have to replace them soon due to being worn out.

And another thing: exactly what does "tubeless compatible" mean? It can be used either with or without tubes?
Old 06-29-16, 06:29 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Congrats on both.

Old 06-29-16, 03:19 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

I just noticed this. Kudos to you on the win.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 06-29-16, 03:20 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Congrats on both.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 07-01-16, 04:49 PM
RonH
Life is good

Ron H - Get one of these for your bike tool bag.

https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...tire-bead-jack
The VAR tire jack came in the mail today. I popped the rear tire on the new wheel in about 5 seconds with no pinched tube. Very easy. Thanks you for the heads up.

Old 07-01-16, 04:55 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

The VAR tire jack came in the mail today. I popped the rear tire on the new wheel in about 5 seconds with no pinched tube. Very easy. Thanks you for the heads up.
You are most welcome. Glad it worked out.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 07-03-16, 07:07 PM
JohnTechwriter

Bikes: 1955 Cinelli B-Model, 2009 Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL2, 1999 Lemond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, I lost track of this forum. From your post I can tell that you and I know that people in America let themselves get old WAY too fast and it doesn't have to happen that way. If we escape the usual killers, heart disease and cancer, we can be a going concern well past age 75. I love cycling just for the experience, but knowing it can help me fend off becoming elderly and frail is a great secondary motivator.

Last edited by JohnTechwriter; 07-03-16 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-03-16, 07:13 PM
JohnTechwriter

Bikes: 1955 Cinelli B-Model, 2009 Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL2, 1999 Lemond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Deply to Dachshund: Yes, I've done Diablo in the past and plan to do it again this fall. So far my training is on track, except I'm not yet at the proper weight. Still, I could ride Diablo tomorrow if I wanted to, provided I transported my bike to its base by car. I want to be able to ride from my little condo (at the bottom of Tunnel Road -- the Parkwoods) all the way to Diablo, up it, down (something in itself), and back home.

Are you also from the East Bay? We should go for a spin sometime. I'm johntechwriter at yahoo dot com.
Old 07-09-16, 03:41 PM
RonH
Life is good

Took the Cannondale and did my usual ride on the Withlacoochee Trail.
I'm sure glad I sold the Vision wheels that came on the Cannondale. They may have been carbon but the new wheels give a much nicer ride.

Old 07-11-16, 10:23 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Well, today I finally got my new iPhone SE that was supposed to be my 70th birthday present two weeks ago. The problem was not getting the phone itself, but getting Verizon to approve my application for new service. I've had less aggravation getting a home mortgage appoval. Anyway, I've finally weaned myself from my old Nokia flip phone with terrible T-mobile service. This is my first modern smartphone, and I can now hang out with millenials at Starbucks.

Obviously, I need to figure this thing out a bit more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (21.0 KB, 79 views)

Originally Posted by Dcv

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 07-12-16 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-12-16, 11:06 AM
RonH
Life is good

Well, today I finally got my new iPhone SE that was supposed to be my 70th birthday present two weeks ago. The problem was not getting the phone itself, but getting Verizon to approve my application for new service. I've had less aggravation getting a home mortgage appoval. Anyway, I've finally weaned myself from my old Nokia flip phone with terrible T-mobile service. This is my first modern smartphone, and I can now hang out with millenials at Starbucks.

Obviously, I need to figure this thing out a bit more.
Congrats on the new iPhone. Now you need one of these on your bikes. I have the black one on the stem on both of my bikes.

Here's the link. —> Handleband - Universal Smartphone Bar Mount

Last edited by RonH; 07-12-16 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-12-16, 02:27 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Try again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (20.8 KB, 78 views)

Originally Posted by Dcv

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.