Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

No longer ride in busy streets

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

No longer ride in busy streets

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-16, 08:37 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho
Op. And on what planet does anyone bicy le on main roads? Planet Darwin.? Find the least traveled residential roads, side roads for your ride. They are infinitely safer than main roads. It may be longer but i dont care as long as im alive.
That's an understandable position, but my experience differs. By far most of the near misses and actual accidents I've experienced bicycling have been in quiet residential streets. Folks just aren't looking. And there are too many visual distractions: parked cars; homes near curbs (contributing to the claustrophobic feel of some narrow streets); intersections that may be four-way stop signs, may be two-way stops signs with default right-of-way to one street, and in a few instances may be four-way intersections with no stops signs and everybody must be alert.

While I've been honked at and shouted at more often on busier streets, I've had fewer close calls and can think of only one accident when I was nearly doored but only my pedal scraped the side of the door.

Busy city streets may feel more risky, but most drivers are more alert to their surroundings and are actually watching out for others using the street.

I adapt my choices of busy city streets or quieter residential neighborhoods based on my energy level and plain old superstitious intuition. If I feel energetic enough to sprint frequently, I'll ride the city streets because it can shave miles off a long trip (8 miles from my home to downtown, vs 12 miles via quiet roads and the MUP). If my legs are dead or I feel weary I'll ride the side roads.

It also depends on the time of day and day of the week, and just how the traffic "feels". I try to avoid certain specific city streets on Friday afternoons/evenings, especially those along commuter routes. But some of the downtown streets actually feel safer Friday night, because these are more entertainment and cultural venues, not commuter routes for weary, cranky folks at the end of a long work week.
Old 07-10-16, 10:46 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Op. And on what planet does anyone bicy le on main roads? Planet Darwin.? Find the least traveled residential roads, side roads for your ride. They are infinitely safer than main roads. It may be longer but i dont care as long as im alive.
Unfortunately many of us live in areas where ONLY the main roads go where we're wanting to go. Here in town there are three main north-south roads. One of them ends in a maze of side streets and it takes quite some time to get to one of the other main roads. One of those other main roads only goes a bit further before making a 90 degree left turn and ending at the last of the three main roads that's the only one that actualy goes all the way through town. If I only road side streets here my bicycling would be close to zilch as i wouldn't be able to get to any of the supermarkets or other large stores.

Cheers
Old 07-11-16, 07:31 AM
highrpm

Bikes: Huffy Sienna Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Near me, I've noticed a lot more traffic in the past year or two, since everyone is working again. The traffic, and the increased texting, make me nervous on the streets.

I had enough close calls on the motorcycle to finally sell it last year. No regrets.

I ride my cycle all the time in town but I try to stick to sidewalks.
Old 07-11-16, 07:31 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Unfortunately many of us live in areas where ONLY the main roads go where we're wanting to go.
^This is my situation as well. Im still riding but I do find the risk discouraging sometimes, especially when you see these occasional stories of a cyclist being killed by someone not paying attention or purposly not taking care around the rider. You wonder sometimes if that next car coming up behind you is gonna be the last one you hear.
Old 07-11-16, 08:30 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by highrpm
I ride my cycle all the time in town but I try to stick to sidewalks.
isn't this illegal?
Old 07-11-16, 10:00 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
isn't this illegal?
Depends on the state. It's legal in AZ and many people do it, but they tend to not be your typical cyclist.

I've taken to a sidewalk or two on occasion to avoid busy roads, but usually only for a block or so. I couldn't imagine riding on the sidewalk constantly.

Old 07-11-16, 10:08 AM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 92 Posts
My planet. Most of my riding is to get me somewhere, not to ride for it's own sake (though I love to do that). I often have to get somewhere by a specific time, which means I take the most direct route rather than the scenic route.

Also, I'm not convinced that residential roads are so much safer when you have people backing out of hidden driveways, kids and pets running out of yards, and parallel-parked cars opening their doors.
Old 07-11-16, 10:41 AM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i fear the empty roads more than busy ones, those will get you killed witout you having any part in it
Old 07-11-16, 11:00 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by exmechanic89
^This is my situation as well. Im still riding but I do find the risk discouraging sometimes, especially when you see these occasional stories of a cyclist being killed by someone not paying attention or purposely not taking care around the rider. You wonder sometimes if that next car coming up behind you is gonna be the last one you hear.
It's pretty funny that people talk about all sorts of safety equipment for bicycles but mostly forget to mention a very basic safety item required by all other road vehicles. That basic safety item is a rear view mirror. People sometimes use a bell but most bells are useless in traffic because nobody vcan hear them and they're not loud enough to be recognized as a warning device even if they are heard. A mirror on the other hand allows you to be aware of what's going on behind you whilst still allowing you to see what's going on ahead of you.

I like either a helmet mounted mirror or a mirror mounted on glasses because with those you can scan your right side as well as what's behind you as you negotiate a turn. Nice for keeping track of traffic behind you.

Cheers
Old 07-11-16, 01:48 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I live in the Atlanta area. Something like 1000 people a day have been moving here from somewhere else for the last 30 or 40 years. People drive like they're in the Road Warrior movie. When there's an accident it creates a debris field. It's absolute total insanity. Nobody in their right mind would get anywhere near a main road on a bicycle. Thankfully, we have a pretty well established bike trail system and a few quiet intown neighborhoods where you can ride without fearing for your life. Be good & have fun.
Old 07-11-16, 11:51 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Just rode 27 miles Monday afternoon, about half on city streets and bike lanes, about half on the MUP. And, as usual, most of the close calls and near accidents were on the MUP, not the city streets.
Old 07-12-16, 07:11 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
It's pretty funny that people talk about all sorts of safety equipment for bicycles but mostly forget to mention a very basic safety item required by all other road vehicles. That basic safety item is a rear view mirror. People sometimes use a bell but most bells are useless in traffic because nobody vcan hear them and they're not loud enough to be recognized as a warning device even if they are heard. A mirror on the other hand allows you to be aware of what's going on behind you whilst still allowing you to see what's going on ahead of you.

I like either a helmet mounted mirror or a mirror mounted on glasses because with those you can scan your right side as well as what's behind you as you negotiate a turn. Nice for keeping track of traffic behind you.

Cheers
Yeah I realize I need to get a mirror. I've been debating what type to get but I definitely do want to get one.
Old 07-12-16, 07:53 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Just rode 27 miles Monday afternoon, about half on city streets and bike lanes, about half on the MUP. And, as usual, most of the close calls and near accidents were on the MUP, not the city streets.
All "close calls" and "near accidents" whether with other bicyclists, pedestrians or moving cars are equal in value when evaluating risk, they are all a big fat zero.

The risk to cyclists from the various cycling scenarios (car free MUP, light motor traffic on street, fast motorized traffic on busy road, etc.) from an actual collision, especially the likely/probable severity of injuries are no where similar or close to being equal.
Old 07-12-16, 08:22 AM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
All "close calls" and "near accidents" whether with other bicyclists, pedestrians or moving cars are equal in value when evaluating risk, they are all a big fat zero.

The risk to cyclists from the various cycling scenarios (car free MUP, light motor traffic on street, fast motorized traffic on busy road, etc.) from an actual collision, especially the likely/probable severity of injuries are no where similar or close to being equal.
This is an unfounded and ignorant approach to 'risk'. I have worked for years in industry where 'risk assessment' is the basis for most decisions related to safety (i.e. overrides economics). Major companies spend millions of dollars analyzing near misses as a means of better understanding the risks and devising ways to prevent of mitigate the consequences. A near miss is just one circumstance away from becoming an accident and is treated very seriously when the consequences matter (i.e. if the potential outcome is injury or death, and yes, you can get injured or killed riding a bike on the MUP).
Old 07-12-16, 08:40 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by RichSPK
My planet. Most of my riding is to get me somewhere, not to ride for it's own sake (though I love to do that). I often have to get somewhere by a specific time, which means I take the most direct route rather than the scenic route.

Also, I'm not convinced that residential roads are so much safer when you have people backing out of hidden driveways, kids and pets running out of yards, and parallel-parked cars opening their doors.
I agree. All of the neighborhoods here are designed to prevent through traffic. Those residential roads which do connect from one main road to another, aren't particularly safer IMO than the main roads.

We either ride the roads or not, personal choice. I prefer less traffic to more traffic, but in some locations traffic cannot be avoided if we're using the bike for transportation on the roads. Personally it's been years since I have felt threatened or fearful of traffic.
Old 07-12-16, 09:41 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by GerryinHouston
This is an unfounded and ignorant approach to 'risk'. I have worked for years in industry where 'risk assessment' is the basis for most decisions related to safety (i.e. overrides economics). Major companies spend millions of dollars analyzing near misses as a means of better understanding the risks and devising ways to prevent of mitigate the consequences. A near miss is just one circumstance away from becoming an accident and is treated very seriously when the consequences matter (i.e. if the potential outcome is injury or death, and yes, you can get injured or killed riding a bike on the MUP).
And how "near" is a near miss? Do your "industry experts" consider any and all claims of a "near miss" all of the same risk value, no matter what the industry, no matter what the collision objects/speeds are, and especially no matter what the probable injury or damage consequences/severity level that could be expected?

A worker in the office industry might die from the complications arising from a paper cut, but what industry risk assessment experts considers a so-called near miss from handling paperwork as equal in risk value to a near miss when piloting a commercial airplane?

No competent risk expert considers "near misses" "close calls" or "near accidents" at all without qualifying what "near misses" "close calls" or "near accidents" are or are not, nor considers a so-called ill defined "near miss/close call" as equivalent to an actual event.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 07-12-16 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-12-16, 10:11 AM
Athilda

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock, AlpinaSport Univega

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2702
Guys I am done riding in main streets, I drive a lot for my job and it is very scary the amount of people using cellphone/texting driving.
Everyone put away the phone when driving it is possible! I promise the world will not end if you are not attached to your phone in a car.
Amen.

I ride on sidewalks & bike paths almost exclusively. I [I]will not/I] ride next to a high curb. I will ride on roads I know which have wide, open, paved shoulders. I am slowly expanding my bicycling universe but sometimes it is very frustrating.

I want to visit a shrine near me. (BAPS on Route 59 near Streamwood, IL). I can't ride my bike there and I think that's a crying shame. I need to call them today! It isn't their responsibility to fix this, but I wonder if they'd be willing to be part of the solution. I know I am.
Old 07-12-16, 10:24 AM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
Everyone put away the phone when driving it is possible! I promise the world will not end if you are not attached to your phone in a car.
holy words
(do the same as i do , trow the phone away when driving).
Old 07-12-16, 11:05 AM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
And how "near" is a near miss? Do your "industry experts" consider any and all claims of a "near miss" all of the same risk value, no matter what the industry, no matter what the collision objects/speeds are, and especially no matter what the probable injury or damage consequences/severity level that could be expected?

A worker in the office industry might die from the complications arising from a paper cut, but what industry risk assessment experts considers a so-called near miss from handling paperwork as equal in risk value to a near miss when piloting a commercial airplane?

No competent risk expert considers "near misses" "close calls" or "near accidents" at all without qualifying what "near misses" "close calls" or "near accidents" are or are not, nor considers a so-called ill defined "near miss/close call" as equivalent to an actual event.
The answer is no to most of the above. If it were that simplistic there would not be risk analysis. The probability of occurrence is considered just as seriously as the consequences.

Sorry, but I have no time, or the inclination to educate you or anybody else on the subject. You'll have to take my word for it or ignore it. It's just the same to me. The only reason I registered my objection is to underline to the rest of the audience that somebody's uneducated gut feel is not an internetic truth.

This is not acceptable when safety is involved.
Old 07-12-16, 11:43 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've been cycling on roads for 40+ years and bike commuting for the past 10 years/ 37,000+ miles. During that time, I've never been hit by a car. My commute route is 32 miles round-trip and includes some busy streets and I ride to work year-round. To be honest, I worry more about traffic accidents when I drive to work. I drive on much busier streets with faster traffic, and many people drive as if they were in a NASCAR race or playing with their cell phones. I've had two incidents while driving where cars in opposing lanes crossed the center line and almost hit me head-on.

However, I don't blame anyone for choosing not to cycle on roads. I have pretty much quit participating in road group rides for similar reasons. Most of my recreational rides now are on greenways and unpaved roads and trails. You still can't let your guard down when riding on trails and greenways. Even though there are no cars, other cyclists, runners, walkers, roller-bladers, etc., can still pose significant hazards if you aren't careful.

When I am bike commuting, I am by myself and in control of the routes I take and my behavior. On group rides, you are only as safe as the worst rider. I have seen more cyclists injured in group rides (from their own actions or other cyclists) than hit by cars. While commuting, I always wear bright clothes, use front and rear lights, and ride defensively. I also seek out routes with the least amount of traffic.
Old 07-12-16, 11:55 AM
SpeshulEd 

Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Ride your bike, worry less.

Old 07-12-16, 03:01 PM
rjmeyer67

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reusable air horn

Originally Posted by canklecat
Yup. After I got home that day I browsed Amazon for louder doodads. I'll probably go with the air horn. The tricky bit is placing it where I can access it without shifting my hands off the grips/brake levers, or throwing off my balance. I'm not sure that's practical. I'm thinking placing the air horn or louder alarm controller on the stem might minimize balance problems if I slam on it.
Amazon has an air horn that's two pieces. The pumped chamber did in a bottle cage. The flue and button sit on the handlebar. Once expended, repump to pressurize. Looks effective. Saw it on a Bikeman4u YouTube video also.
Old 07-12-16, 04:39 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by rjmeyer67
Amazon has an air horn that's two pieces. The pumped chamber did in a bottle cage. The flue and button sit on the handlebar. Once expended, repump to pressurize. Looks effective. Saw it on a Bikeman4u YouTube video also.
Found it, thanks!
Old 07-12-16, 06:43 PM
dachshund

Bikes: Seven Alaris custom road bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Guys I am done riding in main streets, I drive a lot for my job and it is very scary the amount of people using cellphone/texting driving. I gave up my motorcycle this spring and now will keep the bicycle but no longer have interest in sharing the main roads with people who don't know they have a weapon when they use the phone and drive.

Some of you may think I am a big wuss, no problem , for me I like to have my legs and body work good and not be in a wheelchair due to being a crime victim texting with no regards to anyone but their very important cellphone .

I feel the same. I'm gradually crossing routes off my list because of driver behavior. It's too bad the rural areas attract people who dislike cyclists, or maybe the isolation makes them feel it's OK to be rude. Luckily I'm in an area with lots of nice MUP trails, and I can get around the whole area on them. I put my bike in the car to get to my favorite scenic rides.
Old 07-13-16, 02:19 AM
Gail Cooper
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guys I am done riding in main streets, I drive a lot for my job and it is very scary the amount of people using cellphone/texting driving. I gave up my motorcycle this spring and now will keep the bicycle but no longer have interest in sharing the main roads with people who don't know they have a weapon when they use the phone and drive.

Some of you may think I am a big wuss, no problem , for me I like to have my legs and body work good and not be in a wheelchair due to being a crime victim texting with no regards to anyone but their very important cellphone .

I agree with you, I have a friend who died because of a biking accident he was till young and at the prime of his life, it devastated his family especially his two boys all because of young driver that used his mobile while driving. Using your phone while driving should be penalized.