Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

20 Reasons Why You Should Cycle More

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-16, 02:47 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts

I usually ignore this kind of clickbait, but the cover photo notwithstanding, this was strangely reassuring.

Old 08-10-16, 03:24 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
I looked at a few, I just wasn't willing to click through them all. It didn't look bad; I am probably judging it harshly due to the click-bait nature of the "article."
Old 08-10-16, 03:26 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I couldn't get past the first page, OMG! I mean that in the very best of ways, thanks!
Old 08-10-16, 04:34 PM
rdmjr

Bikes: Sun EZ-Tad SX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hmm - you say clickbait, but on the first page, depending on her age, jail-bait or divorce-bait is what I see. Aside from that, I'm with Robert C - I rarely go all the way through slide shows like that, because there's usually about 1 page worth of information, but they spread it out to get more page views and more ads.
Old 08-10-16, 05:28 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If I can avoid it I never click on any of the clickbait stuff from any of the dozen or so usual offenders. Hard to avoid with mobile devices, but I block most of that stuff from the PC browsers.

The problem, besides their tracking to target us with ever more crap, is that they link mostly to content parasites and thieves. They don't create any of their own content. At most they'll scrape someone else's content and repackage it.

And that's the best case scenario -- scraping other people's content. The worst is that sites like the one linked to here appeal to the worst traits of humanity, by filling pages with other outbound links to lurid stories that purport to describe how such and such celebrity died while nobody noticed, or so and so fell from grace, or to mock people who don't fit some adolescent standard for beauty.

Those sites can also drag down a device speed to a crawl, depending on their tracking tricks. Bad enough that some legitimate sites use dozens of tracking tricks to help pay the bills.

A pox upon them all.
Old 08-10-16, 05:44 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Originally Posted by canklecat
If I can avoid it I never click on any of the clickbait stuff from any of the dozen or so usual offenders. Hard to avoid with mobile devices, but I block most of that stuff from the PC browsers.

The problem, besides their tracking to target us with ever more crap, is that they link mostly to content parasites and thieves. They don't create any of their own content. At most they'll scrape someone else's content and repackage it.

And that's the best case scenario -- scraping other people's content. The worst is that sites like the one linked to here appeal to the worst traits of humanity, by filling pages with other outbound links to lurid stories that purport to describe how such and such celebrity died while nobody noticed, or so and so fell from grace, or to mock people who don't fit some adolescent standard for beauty.

Those sites can also drag down a device speed to a crawl, depending on their tracking tricks. Bad enough that some legitimate sites use dozens of tracking tricks to help pay the bills.

A pox upon them all.
I thought the illustrations were interesting. Well ... in addition to the first one.

Some of the claims made were also new to me ... for example:

"The King's College London did tests on over 2,400 identical twins and found those who did the equivalent of just three 45-minute rides a week were nine years ‘biologically younger’ even after discounting other influences, such as body mass index (BMI) and smoking."

and

"Harvard University also found that men aged over 50 who cycle for at least three hours a week have a 30% less chance of becoming impotent than those who don't do the same amount of exercise."

Old 08-10-16, 06:16 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The article is meaningless. 19 out of 20 can be said of basketball.
Old 08-10-16, 06:45 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Or any endurance sport, and I think that was the point but cycling was used to make it. You are right, many other sports could have been used and be equally effective.
Old 08-10-16, 08:18 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
I usually ignore this kind of clickbait, but the cover photo notwithstanding, this was strangely reassuring.

I thought it cute and funny. Especially the get better sleep one. I mean it is fluff but done with a sense of humor. Thanks.
Old 08-10-16, 08:38 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
I want the extra brains.
Old 08-10-16, 09:00 PM
Faddy Daddy
I go faster downhill

Bikes: Novara Safari

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Yes of course for most of the slides that's true. However I'm just not that into basketball but I do love to cycle. By the way, isn't cycling one of the best sports at burning calories because of the extra cooling one gets from the wind? Swimming might be the only other that even comes close that I can think of.
Way off topic, reminded myself of the guy who peddled that ultra light airplane across the English Channel years back. He said it was horrendous because he didn't have the wind normally accompanying a bike ride.
Old 08-11-16, 07:34 AM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
I already liked cycling (surprise, surprise), so it's all feel good stuff. Oh, and a couple of nice inspirational pics.
Old 08-11-16, 08:49 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

She''s a Tuesday night date, Thursday at best.

Bet she can't cook a pot roast.

-Tim-
Old 08-11-16, 10:06 AM
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why go through the whole thing when first page will do just fine .
Old 08-11-16, 11:04 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Originally Posted by mapeiboy
Why go through the whole thing when first page will do just fine .
lol.

No love for the barefoot guy in frame 11? Man, that's one tough way to avoid hotfoot.

Old 08-11-16, 02:36 PM
dachshund

Bikes: Seven Alaris custom road bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well I enjoyed reading through it. This one was new to me,
"The circular motion of cycling is a great way of doing exercise without damaging them as the cartilage gets worked but the energy is transported around the joints rather than impacting them directly like how running might. This reduces the chances of getting arthrosis and offers a bit more protection."

Since I'm living with arthritis, I'll take any advantage I can get from my favorite activity. My goal is to reach very old age and not have to rely on a walker like my parents do.
Old 08-11-16, 03:03 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by dachshund
"The circular motion of cycling is a great way of doing exercise without damaging them as the cartilage gets worked but the energy is transported around the joints rather than impacting them directly like how running might. This reduces the chances of getting arthrosis and offers a bit more protection."
Whomever wrote this clearly doesn't have a clue what they are talking about. It sounds like something they just made up.
Old 08-12-16, 12:33 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the link Victor! Entertaining stuff, some (but not all) of which I already knew.

They left off the feeling of accomplishment after a long brutal climb and the thrill of slicing through a fast series of curves on a descent but hit most of the important points.

Now I need to see the opposite list: 20 Reasons Why You Should Cycle Less

I can't come up with 20 but here are a few:

1. Because my wife keeps bugging me to cycle less (I love my wife and want to keep her happy, but still . . . ).

2. To fully recover from all the cycling I do already (Strave has my average week at 282 miles, which seems a tad high but may be right).

3. To get more jobs done around the house (could be tied to #1).

4. Because my body is getting older and can't take the constant abuse as easily as it used to.

5. Because my group of cycling friends has grown so large I have trouble remembering everyone's name.

6. Because such a large percentage of my income goes to bicycle parts, event entry fees, motels for out of town events, gasoline for driving to and from cycling events, bib shorts, cycling shoes, etc.

7. Because every moment I'm thinking about something connected to cycling (not exactly true but my wife thinks it may be).

8. . . . I forgot what 8 is for.

Okay, that's all I can come up with. Maybe some of you can add more? I should add that my wife is an active cyclist too and has ridden 25 double centuries and typically rides a century (or close to it) every weekend.

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 08-12-16 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-12-16, 01:08 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Living in Cardiff I can confirm point 12.

It is much quicker, at busy times, getting in to the City Centre from my house, plus I can ride 5 miles of the trip along a riverside path, and don't pay for parking!
Old 08-12-16, 01:20 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
I feel silly, but this morning is the first time I've seen that word and now I see it everywhere.