Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'm looking for a road bike

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-16, 06:22 PM
Legacy2

Bikes: 2015 Trek X-Caliber 7, 2016 Giant Defy Advanced 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,

I am coming out of lurk status to ask a couple of questions and thought since I'm also over 50, I would try here. First of all, I've been riding my mountain bike on trails near my house for a couple of years now. There was a charity road ride a few months back and I borrowed a bike that was too small for me, finished the ride painfully but was bitten by bug out on the road somewhere. No, I'm not giving up my MB...I love the trails! But I know nothing about roadies. Here's what I'm looking at that are the top 2 so far:

2016 Giant TCR Advanced 2 (carbon frame) with Shimano 105.
2016 Specialized Tarmac Sport (carbon frame) with Shimano 105.

Both bikes are set up basically the same way although the Giant has better brakes. Same comfort level for me (although I feel a bit more stable and confident on the Giant but I don't know why.) and same price point.

For the record, I also tried:
2016 Trek Domane 4S (carbon frame?) which had Sora components which are not as well rated for $600 more. This bike was also a comfortable ride.
2016 Scott Contessa ...just not comfortable so it won't be that one.

After a lot of training, I want to ride mostly charity rides...some of them are Centuries. And a very few may be a century a day for 3 days. (yes, 300 miles in 3 days...crazy, I know.) Some of the rides will be up in Virginia and North Carolina so the bike will need to also be a good climber. Other than that, I'll be road riding for the fun of it when the trails are too muddy or "buggy" to ride.

So do any of you have a TCR or a Tarmac? How do you like your bike?

Thank you
Legacy2

Last edited by Legacy2; 08-20-16 at 06:40 PM. Reason: add to bike description
Old 08-20-16, 06:39 PM
dieselgoat

Bikes: Too damn many to list, seriously.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Most folks are gonna say that it really doesn't matter about the brand, just find a bike that you are comfortable on and ride a lot. There are so many brands out there, and most of them are good. And whatever you do, don't think you've gotten good enough in three months that you need to go spend 10K on a new bike.
Old 08-20-16, 07:38 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Those seem like the right bikes to be looking at. All of the bikes in that price range will be similar. Get whichever one seems right, then get a fitting.
Old 08-20-16, 07:51 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
Heck, I rode my Framed Minn 3.0 Fat-bike 205 miles in two days
And I'm 61. Now 300 miles in 3 days? My Defy 1 would love that.
Old 08-20-16, 08:30 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
How wide a tire can fit in those frames? The myth of skinny high pressure tires being faster has been completely busted; they are not only less comfortable, particularly for long rides, they are slower. If rolling clinchers, I wouldn't recommend purchasing anything with 700C that won't accept at least 35mm tires, and wider would be better, particularly for centuries and longer. If you're going to go with sew-ups, then you can get away narrower (but not 23mm narrow, more like 28mm).

It would be a shame to shell out a couple of grand for a bike that isn't able to use state of the art tires.
Old 08-20-16, 11:38 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I've got one friend that rides a Tarmac, he complains about the chip seal and rough roads, and evidently, that is a common issue with that bike. I've got another friend that rides a couple of Roubaixs, and doesn't complain. Both are fast.
Looking at frame geometry, compare the Stack and Reach dimensions on the bikes. The Tarmac and similar bikes will have lower handlebars when set up with similar hardware.
The Roubaix comes with lower gearing that the Tarmax or the Venge, although I assume they can all be swapped around later. But good for climbing if you aren't the greatest climber. The Roubaix allows a little wider tire, I think, too.
I haven't noticed any time trial riders taking up 42mm tires yet, maybe that'll be the next big thing.
Old 08-21-16, 02:10 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
I echo the recommendation to stay above 25mm = 1" actual tire width. For a road bike, I tend to favor 28mm to 32mm tires, but I would not say no to a 35mm if I could cram it into my frame and fork.

Beyond that, make sure you like the top tube length, the bottom bracket height, the way the steering responds, and your general level of comfort while riding it.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Last edited by John E; 08-21-16 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-21-16, 03:05 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
1st Priority is pick the shop you like.. the market place for Bikes is competitive.
for same Money they will be similar.

People Buy 'cross bikes' for the wider tire capacity , at the higher price points they are like road bikes .

Moderate ones like Hybrids with drop bars.
Old 08-21-16, 03:08 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Back in 2010 when I was a kid of 66 I bought a Tarmac. I could never get comfortable on it so 9 months later I sold it on CL. Since then the best new bikes I've had are/were a Felt Z4 and my current Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod. If you aren't interested in either then I'd say go for the Giant.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-21-16, 03:46 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
The Tarmac and TCR are a lot alike. The Tarmac may be a touch more aggressive, stiff, whatever you like to call it. I like my Tarmac for climbing and don't think you will have any trouble with 700x 23 or 25s. Don't worry about the tire width debate it will go on till they are tossing dirt on your box. I have done several centuries with the Tarmac but I have also do them on my Klein and one or two on my old Jamis. It comes down to what fits you and your style.

Both Giant and Specialized are good companies and both tend to be good about the warranties. 105s are the same no matter what bike they are on.
Old 08-21-16, 04:02 PM
SammyJ 

Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105; 1994 Trek 5500

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Can't speak on the frames, but 105s are solid, very good components

I am grateful for the headwind that challenged me today!
I am grateful for the tailwind that helped me go fast!

Clydesdales and Athenas Strava Club
https://www.strava.com/clubs/clydesda...bikeforums-net
Old 08-21-16, 05:31 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
For 300 mile rides, I would think a bike geared a bit more towards comfort would be best, a "light touring" or "radonneur" bike.
Old 08-21-16, 05:35 PM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
How wide a tire can fit in those frames? The myth of skinny high pressure tires being faster has been completely busted; they are not only less comfortable, particularly for long rides, they are slower. .

proof??
Old 08-21-16, 06:22 PM
RonB94GT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What part of Florida are you located?
Old 08-21-16, 09:30 PM
Legacy2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! Thank you everyone for your input and advice!

Both bikes will accept a wider tire...I did ask about that. It will fit a wider "gravel cruncher" if I want to switch to a wider tire for different surfaces. I figure if I need anything more aggressive than that, well...that's why I have a mountain bike! A couple of people mentioned the Tarmac having a stiffer ride...that probably explains why the TCR feels more comfortable and I feel more confident riding it. I just didn't know how to put it into words. (learning curve...I'll get there!) And I did ride the Roubaix also...was just more comfortable on the TCR.

The bike dealer is a popular dealer in the area and really helpful as well as knowledgeable. We have been bringing our bikes to them when anything is needed. I asked for the bikes I wanted to see, they tuned them up and I had the opportunity to ride 4 of them, one after the other to be able to compare while the ride was still fresh in my mind. Got it down to 2...and now I think I've answered my own question with your help.

Oh, and I'm located in west central Florida RonB94GT. Hot, muggy and buggy!

Thanks again everyone!
Legacy
Old 08-22-16, 10:31 AM
dachshund

Bikes: Seven Alaris custom road bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The best advice I've gotten here is that the bike should feel right as is, 'off the shelf'. If it feels stretched out in terms of reach, keep shopping.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. We'll want to see pictures. :-)
Old 08-22-16, 11:24 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Legacy2
For the record, I also tried: 2016 Scott Contessa ...just not comfortable so it won't be that one.
Why the Scott Contessa? If you don't have a short torso and longer inseam then that's not the bike for you. They have other models. However, if you like the Giant, then I say go for it!
Old 08-22-16, 11:32 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel
Why the Scott Contessa? If you don't have a short torso and longer inseam then that's not the bike for you. They have other models. However, if you like the Giant, then I say go for it!
I was wondering the same thing. The Contessa is a women-specific model with a shorter top tube a lot of women prefer. The other models you're considering are not women-specific.

Sounds like you're leaning toward the Giant ... if that's the case (better brakes and it feels better to you), I'd just go for that.

Old 08-22-16, 05:49 PM
Legacy2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike store that sold Scott didn't have much in stock. And I think the guy looked at me and decided that I would be more interested in the Contessa because I'm a 53 year old woman. But I'm also 5'7" barefooted and a 31" inseam. So far, I've tried both types of bikes and just seem to be more comfortable on the men's frame geometry. The women's bike seem "cramped" and my back can't really stretch out.

In my inexperienced road bike opinion, if I had to rank the bikes that I have tried it would go like this:

Giant TCR Advanced II
Specialized Tarmac Sport
Trek Domane 4S
Scott Contessa

I would have ranked the Trek as 2nd if it had equal components to the Giant and Specialized. (and even with Sora, it cost almost $700 more! ) It wasn't as comfie as the Giant and equal IMO to the Specialized. The Trek I rode was red and black...a gorgeous bike and the prettiest of the 3, again IMO. But I gotta go for that comfort/confidence ride when the distance is going to count so much! Again, ymmv!

Yes, I think it's the Giant for me!

Legacy2
Old 08-22-16, 06:03 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Legacy2
The bike store that sold Scott didn't have much in stock. And I think the guy looked at me and decided that I would be more interested in the Contessa because I'm a 53 year old woman. But I'm also 5'7" barefooted and a 31" inseam. So far, I've tried both types of bikes and just seem to be more comfortable on the men's frame geometry. The women's bike seem "cramped" and my back can't really stretch out.

In my inexperienced road bike opinion, if I had to rank the bikes that I have tried it would go like this:

Giant TCR Advanced II
Specialized Tarmac Sport
Trek Domane 4S
Scott Contessa

I would have ranked the Trek as 2nd if it had equal components to the Giant and Specialized. (and even with Sora, it cost almost $700 more! ) It wasn't as comfie as the Giant and equal IMO to the Specialized. The Trek I rode was red and black...a gorgeous bike and the prettiest of the 3, again IMO. But I gotta go for that comfort/confidence ride when the distance is going to count so much! Again, ymmv!

Yes, I think it's the Giant for me!

Legacy2

Women typically have longer legs and shorter torsos than men, so that's why they select that frame geometry.

But it if that doesn't fit you, definitely go with the other! I think you pretty much know the bike that is right for you when you first hop on ... and it indeed sounds like the Giant is it.

Old 08-22-16, 06:05 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by FXjohn
proof??
I think this is essentially correct, good article here.

Giro Tech: Rise of the 25mm tire | VeloNews.com

I would state though that 25mm, maybe 28, tire dependent, might be the ideal point of providing least rolling resistance, best turning and comfort, lower weight and better aerodynamics. I can't see a tire larger then 28 being faster. Weight alone works against it.

Last edited by Steve B.; 08-22-16 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-23-16, 08:29 AM
scrming

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
I've got one friend that rides a Tarmac, he complains about the chip seal and rough roads, and evidently, that is a common issue with that bike. I've got another friend that rides a couple of Roubaixs, and doesn't complain. Both are fast.
Looking at frame geometry, compare the Stack and Reach dimensions on the bikes. The Tarmac and similar bikes will have lower handlebars when set up with similar hardware.
The Roubaix comes with lower gearing that the Tarmax or the Venge, although I assume they can all be swapped around later. But good for climbing if you aren't the greatest climber. The Roubaix allows a little wider tire, I think, too.
I haven't noticed any time trial riders taking up 42mm tires yet, maybe that'll be the next big thing.
I picked up a Roubiax Comp this spring and it's been fantastic! I'm running 28mm tires and have ridden it on smooth roads, rough roads, chip seal and even detoured on some gravel sections... This bike just soaks it all up!
Old 08-23-16, 10:34 AM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There's no point in the Tarmac or a race geometry bike if you aren't wanting to race. The Ruby (Spec) or Domane or other "endurance" type bikes make much better sense for most people. They will be more comfortable and may cost you a minute or two over 20 or 30 miles which is meaningless if you're not racing.
Old 08-23-16, 02:12 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
For really long rides, extra wheelbase makes a BIG diference.
Old 08-23-16, 06:54 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)

Get you motor running. Head out on the highway! Lookin' for adventure. In whatever comes my way... Well, not exactly the highway but you know what I mean...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.