Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

KS ETEN i not working properly

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-20, 09:49 AM
Baldy1953

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts

I recently purchased a 2018 Jamis Dragonslayer Pro from Jenson USA. The KS e ten i dropper post is not working properly. It will extend on its own approx 1/2 the distance it is supposed to. ( 2 inches instead of 4 inches ) It is a 100 mm dropper. Is there any way to encourage it to cooperate? I can get it to extend fully, if I place my hand under the saddle and gently lift. It then goes to the upper limit? I have found no way to add additional air to the post. If there is a valve on the post, they have hidden it well.
I have place some lube on the post and worked it up and down multiple times. It springs to the 1/2 way position quickly, but stops there and takes help to get it further. Would be difficult to do while riding.

thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 02-25-20, 09:51 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Contact the manufacturer?
Old 02-25-20, 11:03 AM
Baldy1953

That was my first thought. They have not responded to my email. Their phone system leaves a lot to be desired. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 02-25-20, 11:19 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Contact JensonUSA. I have been helped by their customer service a few times.
Old 02-25-20, 11:33 AM
bikeme

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
I have a KS Dropzone but this applies to all their posts. It can be several things. FYI, their air chambers are sealed, air cannot be added.

If the post is new, the seat post clamp on your bike may be too tight thus slowing or limiting the rise. This is very common with over tightening a carbon frame although it can happen with an alloy--use carbon-safe friction paste to reduce needed torque, grease on alloy. You should only need 5-7nM for a carbon frame. I bet this is your problem.

Secondly, the posts require a cleaning and lube every 6 months or so. I just did mine and it took only 30 minutes. KS has videos for all their models. Per their videos, Buzz's Slick Honey works awesome--don't use regular grease. https://www.kssuspension.com/maintenance-videos/

Lastly, if the above don't remedy the issue, then the air chamber is tired or defective (if the bike is new). My old Dropzone gave me 7 years of reliable service until its air chamber finally died. It was $75 for a new chamber but I opted for a new post at $200 since bushings and seals were old too. Hope this helps.

Last edited by bikeme; 02-25-20 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-25-20, 11:41 AM
bikeme

Originally Posted by Baldy1953
That was my first thought. They have not responded to my email. Their phone system leaves a lot to be desired. Thanks for the suggestion.
Unfortunately, that has been my experience (they have a skeleton crew working there). When I did get someone, they were very helpful. Warranty-wise, I had to go thru my LBS which shipped it for me and I got it back in only a week.
Old 02-25-20, 04:57 PM
Baldy1953

The bike is at the lbs. The owner has been in contact with KS. They grilled him on what he had done to see if the post was defective. Apparently he passed the test and they are willing to warranty the post, even though KS said it was manufactured in 2016. I have a dirt ride next weekend, so it will have to wait until after that for the return. To me, it seems like the build quality is lacking. Thanks for all the suggestions . Going to let KS have a shot at fixing their "new" , yet defective dropper post.
Old 02-25-20, 11:39 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I know the problem is already being solved but just in case somebody does a search in the future and finds this thread.
The KS Eten does not have an air valve. It is a very entry level post and I guess to save money it is a sealed unit so when it leaks air the only option is to replace the air cartridge, the guts. Luckily the air cartridge only cost $30 and is super easy to replace. I just replaced one on one of my bikes that was a couple years old.
Old 02-26-20, 10:11 AM
bikeme

Originally Posted by Baldy1953
The bike is at the lbs. The owner has been in contact with KS. They grilled him on what he had done to see if the post was defective. Apparently he passed the test and they are willing to warranty the post, even though KS said it was manufactured in 2016. I have a dirt ride next weekend, so it will have to wait until after that for the return. To me, it seems like the build quality is lacking. Thanks for all the suggestions . Going to let KS have a shot at fixing their "new" , yet defective dropper post.
Although the bike is a 2018, it's new and unused, right? If the post is new, even though not current, they should warranty it. I'm sure they, like most manufacturers, are scammed by shops and customers hence them grilling Jenson. As mentioned, the eTen is a lower-priced model but it should be expected to work properly. If you want to ride the bike, do you or the shop have a rigid post that can be installed while waiting for the warranty one to arrive?
Old 02-26-20, 02:19 PM
Baldy1953

The bike is rideable as is. The post works halfway and for the flat area I live in, not a necessity. KS is going to warranty the post. We have to send it in and am going to do that in about a week and a half. I have a 60 mile dirt ride in a little over a week. This is what the bike was bought for. I adjusted the seat post ( raised) to cover the lack of function on the dropper. Never had a dropper before, so I guess, what I never had, won't be missed. The owner at the lbs is confident it will be taken care of and I trust him.
Old 03-27-20, 06:08 PM
Baldy1953

Update on my dilemma with my dropper post. LBS got an Rma from KS and sent it to them. They have returned the post to the LBS, but it still does not work properly. It only extends 50 mm and it is a 100 mm post. He sent an email to KS and as of this morning they have not responded. Wanted him to sent it to them again with a new RMA on his dime( which will be transferred to me). He is in discussion with them about the faulty repair( or lack thereof). It would appear to me, they pulled the trigger, saw it extended and decided there was nothing wrong with it. No measurement, no repair.

Did the dirt ride a few weeks ago and the bike worked quite well, even with the lack of dropper post working properly. Not crying on anyone's shoulder, just trying to inform about situation. I am willing to give them another chance to fix it properly.

They have never responded to my email from 2-23. Not very good customer service in my opinion.