Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Been Riding a Roll. Want Something Faster

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-20, 03:23 PM
coopman

Bikes: Specialized Roll Sport Low Entry and Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts

I've been riding a Specialized Roll for about a year now. I'm almost 67 years old and generally average 12.5-13.5 mph on my neighborhood rides. I would love to have something faster. I like the idea of a lightweight, single speed bike such as a Wabi, but I'm not sure that it would be a much faster bike than my Roll is. And the Wabis are so hard to get right now, but it seems that ALL bikes are hard to get right now. Would a road bike be a better choice for me? Those roadies usually go flying past me like I'm standing still. I'm envious! Thanks.
Old 09-01-20, 04:21 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I got my wife a Roll last year and she loves it.

Forget the single speed and get a hybrid like a Trek FX. The have some gears to help you go up some hills and you WILL go faster on the flats.
Old 09-01-20, 05:05 PM
coopman

My Roll has 21 gears, of which I only use about 3. I don't have any hills to climb here. Do you still feel that the FX will be an upgrade to the Roll?
Old 09-01-20, 05:33 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Yes..

My wife's has a single up front so only 5 gears.

A Roll weights 32lbs.
A FX2 weights 26lbs.
A FX5 weights 22lbs.

Or you can buy a 14lbs bike, but that's $$$$$
Old 09-01-20, 06:03 PM
HeyPapa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hi coopman, Shopping for a new bike is always a lot of fun. I am 66 and currently ride an Allez Pro I bought new in 1998. As the years added up I made adjustments to the bike to achieve in a more upright riding position. Depending on how many miles you ride, you may want to consider your riding position when purchasing a 'fast' bike. I enjoy longer rides and my next bike will be in the category of a rando, endurance type bike with an eye to comfort. If you are looking at shorter rides with speed as the primary consideration, you should consider a bike for that purpose. I don't believe the Swiss army knife approach works. Someone will be along shortly to remind you that if speed is the goal then it is the engine you need to work on. I guess all I am trying to say is have a clear understanding of what you reallywant to do on the bike, and at our age get the bike for that purpose on don't look back. BTW: I big wave and hello to you, I am about 70 miles west of you on I-12. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 09-01-20, 06:31 PM
coopman

My normal ride right now is 10.2 miles. Last night I was feeling pretty motivated so I tried to see how fast I could do it. Got done in 44:50, avg. speed was 13.6 mph.
HeyPapa, greetings from Slidell. So you are saying that you're going to get an endurance type road bike next? I was kind of looking at something like that too. I do not want to be bent over like a pretzel though. I have a Jones bar on my Roll so I am riding pretty much vertical on it, not the best for any sort of speed. I have lower back problems.