Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Why argue about cost????

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Why argue about cost????

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-16, 01:23 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Why argue about cost????

I created a thread about bike lovers versus bike snobs, and the OP was all about the humor in how things are viewed. Some folks kept it fun, some went off onto the never ending debate about cost, value, and the egos that go with those.

So, why on earth does anyone care what someone else spent on a bike? I have known bike lovers and bike snobs from both the Walmart bike crowd and the Colnago (et al) crowd. So, why do some people care what others spend on their bikes, both low cost and high cost?

Please stay away from the silly arguments that all bikes are equal, or it won't matter how much the bike costs because ________ could beat you in a race on a dumpster bike.

I have had times in life when I had little money, like the fact that my first car out of grad school cost me $40 dollars and I drove it for a year. Now, after many years and having raised the kids, I spend what I want on my bikes. However, if you have seen some of my "odd" creations, it is about being a bike lover and making it work for me.

Just wondering if some folks can stay on topic and discuss this with an intent to ponder this idea. We won't likely agree, and who cares. Just looking for some good, interesting, and hopefully FUNNY discussion.
Old 04-14-16, 06:08 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
I really don't care what someone spent on anything, unless I have the same thing and I got a better deal. I buy what I want, and don't care what others think.

On a more humorous note, I was out riding a couple of months ago (I was on my CF Ridley), and stopped at a park to use the restroom. When I came out there was a husband/wife combo stopped there also, and the husband looked at my bike and pointed to it, and said to his wife "now that's a bike". I looked at the wife and said to her "You know what this is? This is my midlife crisis vehicle". She laughed.

Ride what you can and be happy.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 04-14-16 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-14-16, 06:47 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Cost is all relative.

I've had people ogle my Litespeed Frankenbike.
Little do they know that their Trek Hybrid probably cost more than my Titanium roadie.
Old 04-14-16, 06:49 PM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Jealousy and envy do strange things to people.
Old 04-14-16, 08:05 PM
Kindaslow

It is a little humorous to me all the negativity that can find its way into some discussions, both toward the expensive and the inexpensive, yet folks don't want to talk about this issue.
Old 04-14-16, 10:21 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Spend what you can afford and enjoy it. If I could afford a $5,000 bike at the same financial impact relative to spending $100 now (which I paid for my bike last year), I'd do it. Well, okay, probably not. I'd probably get two or three different types of bikes for the same money.

Custom craftspersons and artisans gotta make a living too. If they make a product a customer wants and can afford, get it.
Old 04-15-16, 05:05 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
My bike has minimal logos and since it's tone on tone, you can barely see them... which is fine with me.

Its not about the cost, but about the experience.
Old 04-15-16, 06:13 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Why argue about cost????

Originally Posted by Kindaslow
I created a thread about bike lovers versus bike snobs, and the OP was all about the humor in how things are viewed. Some folks kept it fun, some went off onto the never ending debate about cost, value, and the egos that go with those.

So, why on earth does anyone care what someone else spent on a bike? …

Please stay away from the silly arguments that all bikes are equal, or it won't matter how much the bike costs because ________ could beat you in a race on a dumpster bike.

Just wondering if some folks can stay on topic and discuss this with an intent to ponder this idea. We won't likely agree, and who cares. Just looking for some good, interesting, and hopefully FUNNY discussion.
Hi @ Kindaslow,

Captain Bringdown here. I recently replied to your previous post on a somewhat similar thread, “Bike Riding vs Cycling”,

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…I don’t mean to be a Captain Bringdown. I have been a decades-long lifestyle cyclist who started on a 5-speed Schwinn Suburban, now rides a high-end carbon fiber bike, and have been a subscriber to Bike Forums since 2008. It seems to me that over the past year, there have been some threads that seemingly express “Class Envy” among cyclists. It appeared to start last summer with threads disagreeing with and even disdaining expensive bikes, and now even disparaging attitudes among those who ride them….
From this previous post on (your) 50+ Forum thread, ”Buying expensive bikes and parts...”

it seems that the topic of buying expensive bikes has become the newest popcorn thread of 2015.

”Are expensive bikes necessary? (Moral conundrum.)

My new $7,000 bike and the futility of justifying the price to the average person.

I once read this definition on BF of a really nice bike, "Lighter than a f@rt, and more expensive than a divorce."
I won’t rehash these threads, or my posts pro expensive bikes, but my last and most whimsical argument to own one was,“At least I have no buyer's remorse about what I might be missing.”

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-15-16 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-15-16, 07:50 AM
Kindaslow

Originally Posted by oldnslow2

Its not about the cost, but about the experience.
This is something I totally agree with. I want, need, my bike to be right for me. And, given "where" I am in life financially, I am fortunate enough to be able to pick what works for me without too much worry about the price tag. Each of my bikes, over time, gets morphed into just what I want and what fits me.

Funny story to me.... I had a guy, just last week, say to me, "Your bars just sent your stem a text....time to get out of town" I have Envy DH bars on three of my bikes, because they fit my body perfectly and I like them. However, I am using a Ritchie stem on that bike. He was saying the Ritchie stem is too low class for the Envy bars. Since he is a nice guy, just being a ****** for a moment, I went easy on him and explained why. I broke my neck 18 years ago and it is partially fused. The Ritchie stem is the shortest with the highest rise that I have found, so it works great for me. On a side note, since when is Ritchie low budget???
Old 04-15-16, 07:51 AM
Kindaslow

Why argue about cost????

Hi @ Kindaslow,

Captain Bringdown here. I recently replied to your previous post on a somewhat similar thread, “Bike Riding vs Cycling”,

From this previous post on (your) 50+ Forum thread, ”Buying expensive bikes and parts...”

I won’t rehash these threads, or my posts pro expensive bikes, but my last and most whimsical argument to own one was,“At least I have no buyer's remorse about what I might be missing.”
Thanks for such a thoughtful response.
Old 04-15-16, 08:06 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Someone may feel like their judgment is called into question, if they've purchased a high end bike and someone else opines that you don't really gain much from it. Or if you ride entry-level bikes and someone calls it out as worthless. The bottom line is that you're foolish for spending so much, or so little.

You can quantify the performance gains from any piece of equipment in isolation. You can quantify its gains in context of the whole system, with varying accuracy. You can also make value judgments base on various subjective evaluations. It's all good, all valid considerations. I think that it's when we mix those up, and when what someone actually wants from his bike gets lost in the weeds, that the contentious arguments arise.
Old 04-15-16, 08:07 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Kindaslow
This is something I totally agree with. I want, need, my bike to be right for me. And, given "where" I am in life financially, I am fortunate enough to be able to pick what works for me without too much worry about the price tag. Each of my bikes, over time, gets morphed into just what I want and what fits me.

Funny story to me.... I had a guy, just last week, say to me, "Your bars just sent your stem a text....time to get out of town" I have Envy DH bars on three of my bikes, because they fit my body perfectly and I like them. However, I am using a Ritchie stem on that bike. He was saying the Ritchie stem is too low class for the Envy bars. Since he is a nice guy, just being a ****** for a moment, I went easy on him and explained why. I broke my neck 18 years ago and it is partially fused. The Ritchie stem is the shortest with the highest rise that I have found, so it works great for me. On a side note, since when is Ritchie low budget???
This past week, I attend a Trek test ride event and rode a bike 1/2 the price of mine. I was asked if I like it better would I buy one. i told the person, yes, i'd sell mine, but this and pocket the difference.

What it did, was confirm my original purchase.
Old 04-15-16, 08:11 AM
FullGas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
for some things in my life, cost is not an issue.

bikes and whiskey are two of those.

I buy what I like and what I want.
Old 04-15-16, 08:15 AM
Kindaslow

Originally Posted by wphamilton
Someone may feel like their judgment is called into question, if they've purchased a high end bike and someone else opines that you don't really gain much from it. Or if you ride entry-level bikes and someone calls it out as worthless. The bottom line is that you're foolish for spending so much, or so little.

You can quantify the performance gains from any piece of equipment in isolation. You can quantify its gains in context of the whole system, with varying accuracy. You can also make value judgments base on various subjective evaluations. It's all good, all valid considerations. I think that it's when we mix those up, and when what someone actually wants from his bike gets lost in the weeds, that the contentious arguments arise.
It is those silly arguments that have me wondering. I believe, for many people, they argue just because they like to argue. Maybe that is what keeps the Internet alive......

In the end, little of what we argue about is needs, it is virtually 100% wants.

And, I want stuff that I like. And, I hope everyone buys what they like, and then rides the wheels off of them, given just one bike is so wrong....
Old 04-15-16, 08:50 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Hey, the fat guy down the block gets a new Corvette every 2 years. He barely fits in it and i've never seen him drive it over the speed limit. I see him every weekend washing it and waxing it. Whoever gets it when the lease is up is getting a brand new car.

I drive a beat up 2001 Civic with 257,000 miles. I think the last time I washed it was 2 years ago, but I do vacuum the inside a few times a year.

I get it for him, but i doubt he gets why I have the bike I have.
Old 04-15-16, 08:51 AM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I had one guy get nasty and judgemental on my thread about wanting new wheels last week.

He kept telling me, over and over, about how I was wasting my money because it wouldn't make me faster than him or some other guy blah blah. He simply couldn't understand that I wanted better wheels to improve my riding experience, and thus my *enjoyment* of riding; and enjoyment is why I ride. That didn't compute, and he kept going on about faster/him/me some other guy/not about the bike, etc etc. It got kind of ugly and a mod came in and gave a warning.

People get strange about other people's money. (I just wanted some recs for carbon disc wheels in my price range, FFS!)
Old 04-15-16, 09:00 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Cost of a bicycle and /or accessories/upgrades is relative. A person with a low income can spend a couple of hundreds of dollars on a bicycle and gear and % wise that bike is more expensive than that of a wealthy person who spends thousands of dollars on a bicycle. The important thing isn't he cost but the enjoyment it brings to the owner.

Cheers
Old 04-15-16, 09:06 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever
enjoyment is why I ride. That didn't compute,
There's your answer. When they buy a bicycle or related stuff some people think that they're buying hardware and some people think that they're buying fun. The two groups tend not to understand one another.
Old 04-15-16, 09:09 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Wheever
I had one guy get nasty and judgemental on my thread about wanting new wheels last week.

He kept telling me, over and over, about how I was wasting my money because it wouldn't make me faster than him or some other guy blah blah.
I bet my 25 year old son on a GMC Denali can beat that guy in a 40k race.

At 18 he raced Cat 5 Crits, on a $700 Allez, and beat guys riding bikes 10x more expensive.
Old 04-15-16, 09:14 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by wphamilton

I won’t rehash these threads [about cost], or my posts pro expensive bikes, but my last and most whimsical argument to own one was,“At least I have no buyer's remorse about what I might be missing.”
I replied on this thread candidly, and in the isolation of my own wants to this query about the values of an expensive bike:

Originally Posted by sam_cyclist
So, how would you rate the $7000 bike [not mine] assuming you've ridden it a fair bit by now?

10/10? 9/10?

I assume there are multiple criterion you could use:

-comfort
-speed
-smoothness of shifting and of componentry overall
-esthetics
-durability

That’s a good question, and I have in the past considered the answer for my own bike; at least 9/10. FYA:

The Bridgestone was totaled in 2012 in an accident from which I was not sure I would ride again. Well I did, and decided to get a CF…

My average speed stayed the same, but I think I was hampered by injuries from the accident, and I believe the new bike compensated at least to maintain my average speed. I did note that I was more inclined to sprint (successfully) to beat traffic lights before they turned red. I further craved the smoothness of the ride, including the shifting, making cycle-commuting more pleasurable.

Of greatest benefit, while long (greater than 40 mile) rides took the same amount of time as before, I felt much less tired at the end….

Nonetheless, bragging rights are also fun.
I added that last remark to tweak the naysayers that “bike snobs” only buy high-end bikes as conspicuous consumption.
Old 04-15-16, 09:28 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Maybe a slight tangent --but I sometimes feel that paying "more" has hidden value, and paying "less" has hidden downsides. My wife can negotiate a car salesman into tears and we have used her guilt skills on other things. But sometimes paying more builds a relationship with the seller and yields follow on services. And sometimes negotiating someone into a loss yields bad things. I am always wary of negotiating for "skills" service (carpenter, plumber, electrician, etc) because there are so many ways they can cut corners or do less than a complete job.
If I want someone to build me a house, I want them comfortable in a decent profit and willing to go all out and take the pride in their work that will benefit both of us.

Last edited by dbg; 04-15-16 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-15-16, 09:52 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i buy what i like, i spend what I can afford.
if someone does not like my choices, i suggest they make their own.
Old 04-15-16, 09:59 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Demand a Raise ! why drag everyone else down because you are not paid enough.
Old 04-15-16, 10:03 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by dbg
Maybe a slight tangent --but I sometimes feel that paying "more" has hidden value, and paying "less" has hidden downsides. My wife can negotiate a car salesman into tears and we have used her guilt skills on other things. But sometimes paying more builds a relationship with the seller and yields follow on services. And sometimes negotiating someone into a loss yields bad things. I am always wary of negotiating for "skills" service (carpenter, plumber, electrician, etc) because there are so many ways they can cut corners or do less than a complete job.

If I want someone to build me a house, I want them comfortable in a decent profit and willing to go all out and take the pride in their work that will benefit both of us.
Nicely said, @dbg. To embellish the story of my expensive bike:

…For years, I rode a steel Bridgestone RB-1, costing about $650 down from about $800 as an end-of-year model when I bought it in the early 1980’s. I came to learn it was considered a classic. After the introduction of carbon fiber bikes, I always wondered if the premium prices of CF, which I considered to be about $2000 was worth the presumed enhanced riding experience.

The Bridgestone was totaled in 2012 in an accident from which I was not sure I would ride again. Well I did, and decided to get a CF. My trusted mechanic said here’s the bike you want, knowing my riding style. Well the MSRP was $8000, but he got it for me at half off.

This trusted mechanic is a professional bike fitter, and racer himself, but he just ordered the bike, and I rode off, only adjusting the saddle height. Sometime later I complimented him on how well the bike fit, yet he never measured me.

The shop is one block away, and they will fix many things at a convenient time for me [often gratis]. They are so expert that they can do these things quickly, better than me, and often spot problems that I did not see. Whenever I leave the shop, the bikes ride as if new again.

Because the bikes are a major transportation mode for me, keeping them in good repair is critical. We save a lot of money on transportation, so further using the LBS is even more cost-effective. I tip well, not, “To Insure Prompt Service,” but because I am so appreciative of their work. Hats off to Back Bay Bikes.
Now whenever I call the shop, I just say it’s “Jim with the Specialized S-Works.”

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-15-16 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-15-16, 10:22 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I paid $200 for a guitar way back after getting sick of TV coverage of the OJ Simpson trial and that was all that was on the tube. I figured it was a good enough instrument for a hacker like me. I'm still a hacker on the guitar but I wish I'd paid $1000 for a better sounding instrument. On the other hand, my bike at $800 is well more capable than I need. So in the first instance I should have paid more and in the second, could have gotten away with paying somewhat less. I conclude the world does not operate on logic. It operates on the uncertainty principle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.