Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Schwalbe tire generations, differences and tech.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-17, 02:46 PM
bananabacon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have a chance to pick up a nice set of tire but they are Schwalbe

Price is on point but noticed that the logos are off.
With the pro one there is the number one physically stamped on the side wall when advertising the tire: Schwalbe Pro One

But in this set offered it is not the number one and the letter P instead.

Assuming this is a dead giveaway that maybe this tire is of a generation older? What am I missing out on?

I had and have a set of Conti Attack and Force. Which I love. I picked them up for $15 bucks and wasn't until a mechanic confirmed that I had bought the generation prior. That I was missing out on the Black Chilli Compound that is now highly raved about.

Black chilli compound I guess is pretty substantial

Am I missing out on any technology if this is an old(er) set of tires?
The force and attack just got popped by some vicious hidden glass so these would be replacements.

Sadly it was my fault. I didn't unmount my bike on my way to a bike path and unfortunately annihilated the sidewall in the process.

Yes I'm broke
I'm on one of those Barista Lifestyle budgets :-|
Please don't judge my life decisions
Old 10-31-17, 04:46 PM
bananabacon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fart!
Old 10-31-17, 04:59 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Use Google Image Search to compare Schwalbe markings for road tires. You'll see some variations from year to year in what appear to be genuine Schwalbes.

I got a set of new/old stock (circa 2014) Schwalbe One V-Guards, only $15 each, back in the summer. No box or packaging, just wrapped in a rubber band and in a plastic bag in the box along with other stuff I'd bought online. Checked the logos and other markings via Schwable's site, they appeared to be genuine.

About 1,500 miles on 'em so far, no problems, good tires.

Check Nashbar too. They often have good sales on road bike tires, around $20 or less each. Right now I see several from Vittoria, Hutchinson and others. Older models but should be fine.
Old 10-31-17, 05:54 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3154 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,036 Posts
I don’t believe there has ever been a One version which didin’t have a numeral one on the sidewall. I’ve never seen a knock-off tire, but where are you finding these tires?
Old 11-01-17, 07:35 PM
bananabacon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I don’t believe there has ever been a One version which didin’t have a numeral one on the sidewall. I’ve never seen a knock-off tire, but where are you finding these tires?
Hoping his works
These would be the tires in question
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0721.JPG (24.9 KB, 68 views)
Old 11-01-17, 07:41 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Those seem legit, and the logo is as found on other Schwalbe models, like Durano, and would be the new stuff. The tread pattern is also the new Pro One style.

Probably they’re just very new or possibly non-US market models, that’s all.
Old 11-01-17, 10:28 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Looks almost identical to my older Schwalbe 1 V-Guards. Only difference is the numeral 1 rather than the P. Same lettering, same color, etc.
Old 11-01-17, 10:44 PM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Authenticity aside, I've found the Schwalbe Pro One to be an inferior tire compared to the Schwalbe One. I've logged many miles on each version.
Old 11-02-17, 01:06 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by pickettt
Authenticity aside, I've found the Schwalbe Pro One to be an inferior tire compared to the Schwalbe One. I've logged many miles on each version.
One was certainly more durable, but otherwise I might think it’s a toss-up, with perhaps a slight speed edge to Pro. But One was a brilliant tire— speaking tubless, here— which reset my tire performance benchmarks. Pro One didn’t do that, but it’s highly capable and with a different character; it’s more lively, even nervous, feeling, but if you stay cool, it’ll take you there, and maybe deliver a little more speed when you’re laying it down at 8/10ths and beyond.

It’s hard to quantify, but there’s something to be said for One’s confidence-inspiring feel, so I cannot disagree with you!

Oh, and I’ve had setup issues with Pro, too, beyond the extra PITA of needing sealant for the Microskin casing: a large non-sealing cut required I tube it, but then the bead wouldn’t seat right, and I had to fnish ride with lumpy tire.

Okay, so maybe you’re right...

Last edited by chaadster; 11-02-17 at 01:13 AM.
Old 11-02-17, 01:44 AM
Altimis

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pickettt
New One seems to do terrible on wet road, I got slipage twice with new One.

Also shorter tryes life than previous One.
Old 11-02-17, 09:48 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Altimis
New One seems to do terrible on wet road, I got slipage twice with new One.

Also shorter tryes life than previous One.

Lower the pressure, stay off the painted road markings. Be safe.