Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Waterproof-windproof pants for short legs (28" inseam)?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-10, 06:14 AM
QuakerProf

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Ventura Race

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I do a commute of 9 miles each way, 3-5 days/wk. Most of the three day weeks are due to bad weather, when I wimp out and drive to work. I want to gear up to ride on rainy days, as well as some wet snowy days (though we don't have many in my area).

I have a North Face Venture jacket that uses their Hyvent fabric/coating, not Gore-Tex, and with the pit zips I have found it to be great for wind and light rain. I'm confident that I can handle colder temps with heavier base layers (Smartwool microweight and midweights are on my Christmas list).

The problem is pants! I tried on the Marmot Precip pants, some cheapo deals from Sierra Designs, and the REI Ultra Light rainpants. The first two ran very long for me, and even the 30-inch inseam on the REI pants is a bit long, although the best of the bunch.

In casual khakis, I wear about a 34-35 waist and a 28-inch inseam. Any suggestions on waterproof/windproof, breathable rain pants (no insulation needed) for those with short legs like me? Oh, and I'm a dude.
Old 12-03-10, 11:11 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
REI Taku Pant

I'm about your size (32-33" waist, same inseam) and I have had good luck with the Taku pant from REI. They are sold in 30", 32", and 34" lengths. I got mine on a really good sale (about $75) and they are rock solid in construction. I'm on my third winter, and they show no signs of wear. A pair of ankle straps offers sufficient compensation for a little bit of extra length, and I like a little more coverage around my ankles for spray.

I use the 30" version. https://www.rei.com/product/786841

Last edited by aggiegrads; 12-03-10 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 12-03-10, 05:50 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dude I feel you pain. I'm nearly identical to your measurement waist and inseam. Stuff isn't made for us and if it is the legs are so baggy you look like a clown. I have the taku pants and they are the best fitting of all the outerwear I have bought but they are far from perfect in the fit but will do just fine as they are great in the waterproof breatheable arena.
Old 12-03-10, 08:49 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a 28" inseam and got RainLegs, which cover your thighs (which are what gets wet anyway).

I got the Large size, and a Medium would have been plenty big. the nice thing is that when they're too long, they just go a bit below your knees and don't get caught in the ankle/chain area.
Old 12-07-10, 08:06 PM
QuakerProf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to REI and tried the Taku pants (30 inseam), but they were still far too long. I am so tired of these stores thinking that everyone is 6 feet tall with a 32 inch waist. Geez, at least if your waist is the problem, you can be optimistic about the possibility of weight loss... but if you have short legs, you're cursed for a lifetime. In normal pants, at least some places offer custom lengths, but just try to find a 28 inch inseam in a waterproof pant!

We live in an age in which I could probably get a full set of original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles trading cards, with original gum, delivered to my door within two days of placing the order, but pants for short legs? No, sir!
Old 12-07-10, 08:49 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
See if O2 Rainwear has something. Their sizing chart says the Small has a 28 inseam, but if I'm reading the chart right, then your waist is going to be too large. Note that I have no experience with their products, but am considering buying some of their stuff myself.
Old 12-07-10, 09:44 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try these: https://www.bicycleclothing.com/Water...ain-Pants.html I got the jacket, pants and helmet cover to great satisfaction. Purchasing X-large pants to allow for layering made them long for me so I roll up the waist and that seems to take care of the added length.
Old 12-08-10, 01:12 PM
QuakerProf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about something I won't have to roll up at the waist to make it fit?

My gosh, I never feel short until I'm looking for clothes. If I were an obese six foot man who likes garish colors, I'd have no trouble at all!
Old 12-08-10, 02:50 PM
Timothy
Friend of Fred

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like these, the ankles zip up tight, so you won't have to worry about them dragging below your feet. The front is windproof and water resistant and the back panels are breathable. I bought them after reading good reviews about them on BF and I have not been disappointed.
https://www.rei.com/product/786461
Novara Headwind pants. If you wait for a sale they will drop to $50
Old 12-08-10, 06:50 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+1 on the headwinds but they are not waterproof. I have two pair and I love them. They are warm and yes windproof but if you get caught in a downpour you are gonna get wet no doubt about it.
Old 03-24-14, 07:44 AM
EADGBE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I realize this is an old thread but I'm giving it a stir because I'm faced with the same vertically-challenged challenge. I need something - anything - that I can wear in cooler weather for recreational riding. I don't care if they're tights or windproof over pants. I'll make due with whatever is available as long as the length works. Like the original poster, I have a 28-29" inseam. I would strongly prefer to find an inexpensive solution because these pants would see only occasional (and as I said, recreational) use.

Anyone have an updated suggestion?
Old 03-24-14, 08:46 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by EADGBE
I realize this is an old thread but I'm giving it a stir because I'm faced with the same vertically-challenged challenge. I need something - anything - that I can wear in cooler weather for recreational riding. I don't care if they're tights or windproof over pants. I'll make due with whatever is available as long as the length works. Like the original poster, I have a 28-29" inseam. I would strongly prefer to find an inexpensive solution because these pants would see only occasional (and as I said, recreational) use.

I have short legs, too. I have two different tights that both fit very well. Tights are stretchy, so they fit a bigger range of body sizes.

At temperatures 45F to almost 60F, I use some unlined tights over my normal bike shorts. These have no chamois, and no zipper at the ankle, just an elastic band. They don't need articulated knees like the heavier windblocking tights do. I like these thin tights much better than leg warmers--they stay in place easier.

I need a new pair for next year, these are getting worn out after 6 years. But I can't find any thinner, non-zipper cheap tights for sale now. Maybe someone else has a source to buy them.

~~~~~
My other pair are windblocking front with zipper ankles, articulated panels to let the knees bend, and a chamois. These are warm from about 35F to maybe 50F, and too hot much above 50F. They fit me, too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here's a place that makes custom sizes for outdoor wear, with a choice of fabrics:
Foxwear Tights

Or try the Touring forum. There should be many threads about bike rain gear. And there's a winter forum, too.
Old 03-24-14, 08:47 AM
KenshiBiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EADGBE

www.foxwear.net

Makes custom fit clothes. Prices are comparable, and often less than the big brands. I've been very satisfied with the rain pants, and tights I've gotten from Lou. I've also gotten a vest, and an ear band. Lots of choices, reasonable prices, good quality, clothes that fit my dimensions, nice guy running things. What's not to like?
Old 03-24-14, 09:20 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
get what you Can find altered locally to fit your leg length ..

an Alterations home based business should be in your town ..
they can do more than hem wedding dresses..

we have a store front one here , downtown ..