Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Wool Socks

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Wool Socks

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-11, 02:23 PM
thdave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wool Socks

As last year was the year of Wool for me, I picked up several pairs of wool socks. They keep my feet noticeably warmer, but, there's another benefit...

I'm used to putting socks in the laundry at the end of the day. But... these don't smell. I'm wearing them two days each and saving the laundry.

Haven't tried three days yet, but I'm getting braver every day.

Note that I've got about 5 wool sweaters now (on a rotation, they go under my windbreaker) and have yet to wash them. I feel like I'm living on the edge.

Note I'm typically fastidious with regard to these kinds of things, but it's not needed thus far with wool.
Old 01-05-11, 02:32 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Good job!

Fight the Laundry Power!!
Old 01-05-11, 02:51 PM
hubcap
One Man Fast Brick

Bikes: Specialized Langster, Bianchi San Jose, early 90s GT Karakoram, Yuba Mundo, Mercier Nano (mini velo), Nashbar Steel Commuter, KHS Tandemania Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have found one of the added benefits to using natural fabrics over synthetics. Wool most definitely does not retain body odor like synthetics do.
Old 01-05-11, 03:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Blends work for me , all cotton sweat pants wear the butt out , bends don't
Fresh 3 pack of blend sox, the synthetic remained when the wool wore away.
Old 01-05-11, 03:30 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I love wool socks. I have a few pairs of Smartwools and they're the best. (Although I bet cashmere would be even better.)
Old 01-05-11, 03:49 PM
truman
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear merino sweaters of varying weight all fall and winter.

Merino socks year round.

I got a pair of Icebreaker "The Beast" manties for Christmas that I'm really liking, too.

My kiddo crocheted me a merino beanie for Christmas, too.

Love the stuff.
Old 01-05-11, 03:54 PM
Eileen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 4 pairs of wool socks and they get me through the week. Three days is pushing it, two is fine. I actually have a wool load that I do each week -- two Ibex dresses, assorted sweaters, skirts, tights and socks. I take it home from the laundromat and hang it all up. The two dresses, socks & sweaters get me through most weeks.
Old 01-05-11, 05:53 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I've got wool socks of various blend/content. None are cycling specific, but I don't think that I'll use anything else again.
Old 01-05-11, 06:00 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You've inspired me. I may never wash my merino stuff again.

Up until now, I've been doing as Eileen and washing a wool load once a week. Lots of wool stuff hanging all over the basement until it's dry.

Seriously though, I've wondered how layering the wool with sweaty salt would affect it over time. Probably best to wash it from time to time.
Old 01-05-11, 06:29 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I gave all my cotton socks to Goodwill, and have nothing but wool ones at this point. That's about 99 % true of tee shirts, too, and wholly true of sweaters.

Originally Posted by caloso
I love wool socks. I have a few pairs of Smartwools and they're the best. (Although I bet cashmere would be even better.)
There's no mid layer that wicks sweat as well as cashmere. And, as warm as it is, it's never too warm. Great stuff.
Old 01-05-11, 06:41 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I gave all my cotton socks to Goodwill, and have nothing but wool ones at this point. That's about 99 % true of tee shirts, too, and wholly true of sweaters.

There's no mid layer that wicks sweat as well as cashmere. And, as warm as it is, it's never too warm. Great stuff.
I've been wearing a moth-holed cashmere sweater over my jersey on really cold (for us) mornings. It's wonderful. I guess I could class it up and cut off the arms and use it as an under-jersey vest.
Old 01-05-11, 06:44 PM
Seattle Forrest

If you decide to cut off the arms, can I have 'em? And, if that doesn't go well, can I have the vest, too?

I've been going to thrift shops buying up cashmere sweaters whenever I can find them. I've managed to acquire two this way ( $5, and $20 ), and almost had a third, but my girlfriend took it. I'm going to turn them into cycling pants, a neck gaiter, and stuff like that.
Old 01-05-11, 06:46 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
If you ever have the chance to try camel wool, don't pass it up. The stuff is insanely warm.

I travel to Mongolia every summer and I always raid the markets there for camel wool socks and other clothing. Its cheap there, but probably costs an arm and a leg here.
Old 01-05-11, 06:49 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Changing from cotton to wool socks is the only change I make for footwear until it gets to be too cold to ride.
Old 01-05-11, 07:37 PM
MilitantPotato
Subjectively Insane

Bikes: '09 Rodriguez Adventurer Custom, '08 Trek 7.3Fx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My record for wearing the same wool socks is 7 days. They didn't smell so much as become uncomfortable from salt and gunk. I normally wear them two to three days, alternating pairs every day.

When it gets sub freezing I wear water proof hiking boots. The synthetic socks I wore to start with made the mother of all funk by the end of the day inside those. Not that the wool socks are odorless, but it's a huge difference.
Old 01-05-11, 08:20 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have varying weights of merino wool socks and wear the year round. I will wear cotton but even when its really hot.( which it rarely is here) I still wear merino wool. They seem to last longer than cotton too,most likely cause my wife bleaches the white cotton items which speeds up their demise.
Old 01-05-11, 10:03 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
After starting in itchy wool 40 years ago and stopping when good synthetics came around, I have transitioned to an all wool outfit this year. Amazing, merino is far more comfortable, I can wear one jersey for 2 weeks without washing it. Absolutely no smell. Great in the cold and wet . Worth the extra money.
Old 01-06-11, 10:29 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by mihlbach
If you ever have the chance to try camel wool, don't pass it up. The stuff is insanely warm.

I travel to Mongolia every summer and I always raid the markets there for camel wool socks and other clothing. Its cheap there, but probably costs an arm and a leg here.
Very, very interesting... Is it softer than merino, too? I've heard that because air trapped between the different "hairs" is what makes wool warm, the softer it is ( smaller and more interwoven fibers making it softer ), the more air it'll trap. So, as a general rule, softer wools should also be warmer. I've noticed it's true for cashmere vs merino, but haven't worn camel wool.
Old 01-06-11, 03:03 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...There's no mid layer that wicks sweat as well as cashmere. And, as warm as it is, it's never too warm. Great stuff.
+1 Found a 100% cashmere women's sweater in the men's section of a thriftstore. It was a size 16 and fit me perfect as a 2nd layer. 4 bucks! Silk/cashmere/silk balaclava is a great combination w/a wind/water resistant jacket. The combo is warm, wicks great and dries quickly.
Old 01-07-11, 10:11 AM
robi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wearing a pair of REI merino wool sock. third day running, biked to work in them on Wed, Thursday and today. they were fine this morning.. however, I think now they may are the freshest.....
Old 01-07-11, 10:54 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
So when you do wash your wool (alarmingly infrequently for some ) -- Woolite?

I've been doing cold water gentle cycle wash for my wool and hi tech bike/athletic gear and an air dry for a good while now. Am amazed at how the stuff is holding up.
Old 01-07-11, 12:53 PM
robi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just toss them in with teh other clothes, hell, I do not even pay attention to whether they are with the whites or colored clothes.

I do not have any special detergent, we do not have a dry so they are always line dried... works fine....
Old 01-07-11, 02:47 PM
Hibonite

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can go a week in a pair of wool socks if I'm not sweating in sneakers all day long. I tend to go shoeless when at home so I don't sweat so much. Otherwise three days is not a problem even if running around outside all day in sneaks.
Old 01-07-11, 05:58 PM
QuakerProf

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Ventura Race

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now THAT is a good idea. I'm going to hit the thrift shops this weekend!

If you decide to cut off the arms, can I have 'em? And, if that doesn't go well, can I have the vest, too?

I've been going to thrift shops buying up cashmere sweaters whenever I can find them. I've managed to acquire two this way ( $5, and $20 ), and almost had a third, but my girlfriend took it. I'm going to turn them into cycling pants, a neck gaiter, and stuff like that.
Old 01-07-11, 06:37 PM
kgriffioen
Go Leafs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay I must be complete pig. I have merino everything: socks, tights, baselayer, balaclava, glove liners. Wear everything everyday. Since the beginning of Nov when I needed it till today, its been washed once. The stuff just does not smell. Ever!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.