Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nishiki Competition - Questions on it.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-20, 07:04 AM
gsulit@shaw.ca

Bikes: Bianchi Cielo, Marinoni Special, Miyata 914, Brodie Tourque.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

I recenly got a Nishiki Competition for $150 Canadian dollars and have been working on it, repacking bearings on wheels, bottom bracket and headset, changing tires and tubes and brake cables and housing. The serial number is CA07776. It has friction downtube shifters with 6 speed Suntour Cyclone II derailleurs and Dia Compe brakes and Sugino crank. I have a few questions on it. What year is it manufactured? The bottom bracket ( shell is 68mm ) but the non drive side is not reverse threaded? How do you remove the cable on the rear derailleur? I have loosened the allen bolt and the cable does not get loose. I installed a Continental Touring Plus 32C tires on them but the handling/steering is not very good ( it is sluggish when turning left or right but the headset is set ok ). Would skinnier tires handle better? The gear cable is as thick as the brake cable ( unusual? ). There are lots of clearance for bigger tires ( maybe up to 40 even ) and there are eyelets on the front and back. Is this a touring bike or a race bike? Did I do OK with the price I paid for it? As it is now, it weighs 25.8 lbs. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by gsulit@shaw.ca; 08-15-20 at 07:19 AM.
Likes For gsulit@shaw.ca:
Old 08-15-20, 09:50 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,755 Times in 941 Posts
In my mind the bicycle is neither touring nor racing. Rather it is a combination that, in my mind, would focus on the recreational rider, not someone serious about racing or touring. That said, the bike could be raced and/or toured.

I have had a NIshiki Competition, or two, come my way over the years. The one shown here is the better model, featuring the forged drops and decent tubing. In short, a nice bicycle and a worthy street machine.
Old 08-15-20, 10:04 AM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 702 Times in 396 Posts
Nice looking bike. I am no tire expert, but those tires have lots of tread which could affect your handling. Also, as they are listed as touring tires, they may have extra flat protection meaning thicker and heavier. Trade offs I guess.
Old 08-15-20, 10:06 AM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by gsulit@shaw.ca
I recenly got a Nishiki Competition for $150 Canadian dollars and have been working on it, repacking bearings on wheels, bottom bracket and headset, changing tires and tubes and brake cables and housing. The serial number is CA07776. It has friction downtube shifters with 6 speed Suntour Cyclone II derailleurs and Dia Compe brakes and Sugino crank. I have a few questions on it. What year is it manufactured? The bottom bracket ( shell is 68mm ) but the non drive side is not reverse threaded? How do you remove the cable on the rear derailleur? I have loosened the allen bolt and the cable does not get loose. I installed a Continental Touring Plus 32C tires on them but the handling/steering is not very good ( it is sluggish when turning left or right but the headset is set ok ). Would skinnier tires handle better? The gear cable is as thick as the brake cable ( unusual? ). There are lots of clearance for bigger tires ( maybe up to 40 even ) and there are eyelets on the front and back. Is this a touring bike or a race bike? Did I do OK with the price I paid for it? As it is now, it weighs 25.8 lbs. Thanks in advance.
1981 according to the internet.
It's Japan made so the bottom bracket is probably left hand threaded on the drive side and right hand threaded on the non drive side.
Maybe they used brake cables instead of shifter cables? Do the metal bits look like tiny threads (shifter) or more like a flat piece in a spiral (brake)?
I think yes, that's how the cable is removed but I only did it once so I'm no expert.
That price in Vancouver is great. Your neck of the woods, I don't know.
Old 08-15-20, 10:23 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
The allen bolt next to the M-II is what loosens the cable. Sometimes they cables are bent in place and need a tug, or cut the cable and pull it out the other way if it isnt going one way.
Old 08-15-20, 10:23 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 1,773 Times in 973 Posts
I'm very happy with my Nishiki comp. I went through my '77 and equipped with a Brooks saddle, Dura Ace brakes converted to nut mounting. I also did a leather wrap on the bars.

I've swapped out the araya hookless rim to Mavic Module E, or 3 I don't remember which, on Miche Comp hubs. I haven't had the chance to try the new high pressure setup.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 08-15-20, 02:11 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,041 Times in 1,879 Posts
The subject bicycle is 1982 Canadian market model, designed by Norco and manufactured in Japan by Kawamura during late 1981. The 1982 version employed Shimano 600EX. It looks like the OEM crankset has been swapped for something with a smaller BCD.

The bicycle is basically a lower mid-range sport bicycle, suitable for club racing. It shared the same frame as used on their top Superbe model. Even the Superbe had the dropout eyelets front and back. The comparable level touring bicycle at the time was the Continental. It used longer chain stays, more fork rake, came with a triple crankset, wider range freewheel and the GT version of the Cyclone MK II However, it fell short of being a true grand touring bicycle by utilizing side-pull brakes, instead of cantilevers.

If they used brake cables for the rear derailleur that could also explain the problems in releasing the cable. If you shift the chain onto the largest cog, then push the lever forward without turning the cranks, that will release the tension on the cable, allowing you to pull the housing out from the back of the derailleur enough to be able to cut the inner cable. It will be easier to pull the short end out from the front of the derailleur.

I'd rather find that someone had used brake cables on derailleurs than derailleur cables on brakes.

This bicycle should not be sluggish handling. The first thing I'd try would be narrower and lighter tyres.

Last edited by T-Mar; 08-15-20 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-15-20, 02:35 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5891 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 2,080 Posts
This bike is a classic sports tourer. In fact you can add your bike to the thread below if you like.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...g-bicycle.html

The thicker derailleur cables may be just that. Back in the day, better bikes had nice braided cables that were thicker than the derailleur cables you can buy today.

$150 Canadian (around $113 US) is a good price on this bike.