Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Adjustable brakes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Adjustable brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-12, 08:06 PM
mbtigger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Adjustable brakes?

I was looking at getting some new wheels for my older 27" bike. I thought to future proof the purchase by getting 700 CC wheels. I am pretty sure my cantilever breaks will not adjust to the smaller wheel size. Are there breaks that will fit on my bike that I can adust to fit a 700 CC wheel? I really would like to find a way to make this work.

Thanks in advance!

MB
Old 08-29-12, 08:34 PM
Closed Office

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes there are. Just check for a long vertical slot where you bolt your break pads. I didn't do it, but I was looking at the same situation a few years ago. If I remember right, the brake pads would only have to be about 4 mm lower.

Just take a measuring tape and check the vertical distance between the brake pads and the mount for the brakes. Then take the measuring tape when you go to look at different brake assemblies.
Old 08-29-12, 09:02 PM
SweetLou

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You'll have a better chance that the older brakes will fit than newer ones. If you can lower your pads 4mm they should work. Newer brakes use the newer standard of the distance between the posts. This is about 15mm closer than the older standard. Most newer brakes won't work unless you use a very narrow rim and rotate the brakes out. But even then they will not work. Some newer smooth post brakes can be made to work. I also think that the Shimano cyclocross brakes, the CX-50 or CX-70 will work with the shortest spacer. These are made differently than other brakes and come with three different sizes of spacers. But this is a theory, I have not yet had the chance to test this, but I think CX-xx series will work. Again, this will depend on the post spacing and width of the rim.
Old 08-29-12, 10:39 PM
mbtigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The minor adjustments to my cantilevers still do not seem to fit 700 CC. (my spouses bike uses 700 cc wheels so I am testing things out with her wheels) After a bit more searching I found recommendations to try long caliper style brakes. I found some moderately cheaply so I will give it a try. If all else fails, I may look into getting some more components and a new frame...
Old 08-29-12, 11:29 PM
SweetLou

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some older cantilever brakes had little vertical adjustment. If that is the case for your brakes, then they won't work on 700c wheels. You could try to find other brakes with more adjustment. There are many out there. But you could measure the distance between the posts. Measure center to center. If it measures near 80mm, newer brakes will work. If the measurement is closer to 65mm, most likely they won't.

You could go with calipers. Just measure the reach needed for your bike and get the correct caliper for it. This is assuming your bike's fork and brake bridge is drilled for caliper brakes.
Old 08-29-12, 11:35 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
700C

The C was a measurement of width in the old French system.

Carry on.
Old 08-30-12, 06:14 AM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bikes use brakes to stop.

If your bike has breaks, don't ride it.
Old 08-30-12, 09:14 PM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
What sort of brakes do you have now?

Some older brakes have almost no vertical adjustment while most newer ones have more.