Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

How Can I Bike Faster and Longer?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

How Can I Bike Faster and Longer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-12, 10:23 PM
kiwashere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LesterOfPuppets

Switch from Parliaments to American Spirits.
No. Black n' Milds are proven to make you stronger.
Old 01-14-12, 10:25 PM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Adding a brake will probably help if you ride anywhere other than closed streets and won't piss off other riders in a group when they need to stop and you rear end them while trying to skid stop.
Old 01-16-12, 12:56 PM
mattheis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pick up a trainer or rollers, so in the winter you are still riding and building leg muscle while your friends are sitting around getting fat. By Spring you'll be able to keep up.
Old 01-16-12, 03:04 PM
Stezzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sabotage the other riders till you are the last man standing.
Old 01-16-12, 03:09 PM
Sherblock

Bikes: '14 Kona Rove, '06 Bob Jackson

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dat cardio. running would help.
Old 01-16-12, 03:43 PM
Santaria

Bikes: Surly CC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My newspaper boy hat has HTFU embroidered on the back of it. Lots of people ask why. I'll give you the secret:

My 11-year-old son rides with me. He's at the stage in life where he thinks everything comes without work and believes that he can handle anything without trying. Then he "falls" 2 miles into a ride because "it's so much work." So the message is back there for whenever he glances with evil little beedy-eyes at the back of my skull wishing I was dead. It helps him to know to HTFU and keep up cause **** don't just happen - you gotta work for it.

+1 to everything else, except black 'n milds don't do it - you gotta really dig deep and smoke GPC brand smokes. Everything else has too few chemical additives to really "get ya flowin."
Old 01-16-12, 04:52 PM
JesusBananas
Banana-tastic!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Ride less.
Scrod, you can't "ride less" if none of us even ride bikes to begin with. Sheesh.
Old 01-17-12, 08:29 AM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mattheis
Pick up a trainer or rollers, so in the winter you are still riding and building leg muscle while your friends are sitting around getting fat. By Spring you'll be able to keep up.
Or nut up and keep riding. Studded tires are less efficient and slicks will feel so good in the spring, plus nothing beats actually riding.
Old 01-17-12, 08:34 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by JesusBananas
Scrod, you can't "ride less" if none of us even ride bikes to begin with. Sheesh.
Oh yeah. I ride so little, I forget that I don't ride.
Old 01-17-12, 01:11 PM
DviousDave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is "the dreaded bonks" and HTFU?
Old 01-17-12, 01:18 PM
jdgesus 
sɹɐʇsɟoןןnɟsʇıbɟɯo

Bikes: fixed gear recumbent trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a "dreaded bonk" is a like regular dreads in your hair, but in a mullet form

a white guy bumbaclot

next step is recumbent.

my bikes | bike blog | beer blog | work 1 | work 2
Old 01-17-12, 01:39 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
bonking is running out of energy and HTFU is harden the ____ up. Google is your friend.
Old 01-17-12, 01:43 PM
tessartype

Bikes: 2009 Felt B2 Pro, 2009 Trek 1.2, '80s Hercules beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fxdgrjedi
But the point is: eat food, drink water. If you are gonna be out 3+ hours, real food (ie NOT gels, energy bars, replacement drinks, etc) will help lots.
Actually, just the opposite. Real food doesn't get digested properly during exercise - the simpler the better. Gels, bars and drinks are as simple as it gets. Dried fruit is also good.
Old 01-17-12, 02:01 PM
DviousDave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
True; Google is my friend. But there are so many acronyms out there Google could have steered me wrong. Hearing it from this community = the right acronym.
Old 01-17-12, 02:04 PM
3 circles

Bikes: 1997 Giant MB, 2011 Felt Z85 Road Bike...and searching. Why didn't anyone tell me that when you get into biking you develop a sick need to own more & more bikes!?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fxdgrjedi
But mostly HTFU. Boy scouts who never ride bikes rock 50 milers every year for a merit badge.

Lmao!!!

But still, I have to give you guys/gals props for riding 75 mIles in one gear! Am I the only one that thinks this is both hardcore and amazing? I can do 75 on a RB, but on a SS...

Okay, I've now just added something else to my bike "to-do" list!! Talk about a burn.... Sounds both painful & fun!!
Old 01-17-12, 02:21 PM
deleterious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to play devil's advocate, have you considered getting a bike that's actually intended to do what you are looking to do: go fast, far, and uphill/downhill efficiently? Talkin' bout a regular old geared road bike. I have a fixed conversion that I use for commuting (~5 miles each way), slow group rides, and general riding for fun, but when I wanna go long distance (20+ miles) at high speed I use something with gears (and brakes). If I gotta lose some street cred points, so be it. Right tool for the right job and all that.

All the fixed commuting has really done wonders for my legs though, I must say. Not so much for the lungs, although it has helped that a bit too. But long road rides are much better for cardio building, as others have said here.
Old 01-17-12, 06:25 PM
xavier853

Bikes: Pegueot UO8, Tommaso Augusta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, true and good points. It's also fun to do long haul rides on fixed though even if it's not the most efficient and effective ride.

Last edited by xavier853; 01-17-12 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-17-12, 07:09 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 3 circles

Lmao!!!

But still, I have to give you guys/gals props for riding 75 mIles in one gear! Am I the only one that thinks this is both hardcore and amazing? I can do 75 on a RB, but on a SS...

Okay, I've now just added something else to my bike "to-do" list!! Talk about a burn.... Sounds both painful & fun!!
I don't even think about once I am out on the road. I have taken my fixed gear everywhere I have taken my geared bike except for routes with climbs over 10%. Climbing is fun on my fixed when I slow up and take it easy otherwise I will blow up trying to keep up with someone faster. IDK, this stuff comes with time.

Originally Posted by prooftheory
bonking is running out of energy and HTFU is harden the ____ up. Google is your friend.
a.k.a. "hitting the wall" - running out of food energy. total misery when you have to keep on going and work through it

Last edited by hairnet; 01-17-12 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-18-12, 07:18 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Change out your bars for some bullhorns or shallow road drops so you can ride in a more aero position and place your hands in a more natural position parallel to your body. Riding long distances sitting upright with narrow flat bars or risers is both uncomfortable and makes you a spinnaker pushing against the wind. It is also hard to climb out of the saddle with those bars. Get some decent riding shoes with stiff soles and some padded gloves. Get some riding shorts or bibs with a good padded chamois and use Bag Balm or equivalent on your taint area. Bring water and some snacks to avoid dehydration and the dreaded bonk.
+100

Flat bar is fine for getting around town but for long rides in the country, I'd go with drop bars. Bullhorns would work, too.

I imagine your local cycling club has a mailing list and if you join it, you'll get notices of all the upcoming rides. The ride leaders will post the average pace of the ride along with the map and start time.

The club here has a beginner's course for group rides that starts with short rides then gets up to 100km by the end of the summer. Something like that would be perfect for you.

Does your bike have a flip-flop hub? Having a freewheel just in case is a good idea. So is having a front brake.
Old 01-19-12, 02:45 PM
hwdxbassist

Bikes: Affinity Lo Pro-madison(RIP)-specialzed bmx-

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How can I improve my endurance and bike faster and longer?
Bike faster and longer. everytime you ride, ride at 85% speed. always take the scenic route, always climb those hills.

Is a there any type of good regimen or plan to improve?
go out to your LBS and see if they have local weekly rides. go get you @$$ handed to you and get smoked by the trollies in full lycra. keep at it until the whole group is trying to catch up to you while you calmly bike with your headphones on listening to the Beatles. Try out different gear ratios as they train different parts of your body ie. strength and acceleration.
Also, how can I get up hills faster?
get a 48-18 ratio and climb the gnarliest hill you can bike to and back home. time your self. next week try and beat that time. weeks later invite your bros and school them on proper hill mashing. Breath, Pedal, Ride.

also if your not already clipless get on it!!

but you wont get anywhere, get any faster, stronger, or smarter unless you start looking at your nutrition. improve on it.

oh yea and if your serious get a helmet and a front brake. all that brakeless $#!+ is for kids who ride their bike once a week. if you ride everyday 40 miles+ your going to want a brake, to save from buying new tires every 3 weeks.
Old 01-19-12, 02:47 PM
yummygooey
i smell bacon

Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nutrition sucks. I ate like 5 hot dogs yesterday.
Old 01-19-12, 03:11 PM
Kinkikowboi

Bikes: Iro Mark V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hwdxbassist
[B]How can I improve my endurance and bike faster and longer?
oh yea and if your serious get a helmet and a front brake. all that brakeless $#!+ is for kids who ride their bike once a week. if you ride everyday 40 miles+ your going to want a brake, to save from buying new tires every 3 weeks.
Yo, stop the hatin'.
Old 01-19-12, 03:19 PM
hwdxbassist

Bikes: Affinity Lo Pro-madison(RIP)-specialzed bmx-

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those who think im hating obviously see the flaw in having to buy tires every 2-3 weeks-they just cant admit it ^_^. Im giving this dude a heads up, he said he wants to be more serious and ride more often. and that was just my opinion and recommendation.
Old 01-19-12, 03:30 PM
Kinkikowboi

Bikes: Iro Mark V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hwdxbassist
Those who think im hating obviously see the flaw in having to buy tires every 2-3 weeks-they just cant admit it ^_^. Im giving this dude a heads up, he said he wants to be more serious and ride more often. and that was just my opinion and recommendation.
Haha whatever works =] Just saying, I haven't skidded in 3 months. It's a serious stereotype that brakeless people skid to every stop but on the contrary, a lot of brakeless people just slow their stroke to slow down. The last time I replaced my tire was earlier last year. Yea, if there a lot of hills and you don't feel safe without a brake, go ahead. Just saying it's pretty doable going brakeless if you want to. I commute 10 miles to school with no brakes. But I agree to the helmet part. That is a must.
Old 01-19-12, 03:37 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by prooftheory
True HTFUers bonk on every ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.