Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

C&V Terminator

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

C&V Terminator

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-23, 10:27 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
No argument here and most of this is my point, hack wrenchers don't learn or care, shop owners, suppliers and companies only want easier, faster and cheaper so they can keep paying less and less to work on the crap that continues to drag the standards down.

You and I know the difference and have the experience to make it work either way, the key thing that is lost on many of today's players.
Di2 sure as hell isn't easier, faster, or cheaper (at least in MSRP)

I'm sure that 45 years ago, someone said "suppliers and companies only want easier, faster and cheaper so they can keep paying less and less to work on the crap that continues to drag the standards down." while replacing the fourth broken Simplex Prestige on their watch.

I think we both know that even 20 years ago, we could easily get most local mechanics to debate the existence of French headset threads, even if they seemed knowledgeable at first. There's one guy at an LBS who has sworn up and down for a decade to me that such a thing doesn't exist. Just wait until he discovers a constructeur bike.

-Kurt

Old 06-20-23, 11:34 PM
philpeugeot 

Bikes: Bike Friday PRP, Bike Friday NWT, Bromton M6R, 1991 Miyata 914, 1991 Miyata 1000, 1986 Raleigh Portage, many more frames

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 182 Posts
16mm crank bolts. Who in their right mind thought this was a better alternative to 14mm and 15mm crank bolts?
Likes For philpeugeot:
Old 06-20-23, 11:44 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888

I'm sure that 45 years ago, someone said "suppliers and companies only want easier, faster and cheaper so they can keep paying less and less to work on the crap that continues to drag the standards down." while replacing the fourth broken Simplex Prestige on their watch.

I think we both know that even 20 years ago, we could easily get most local mechanics to debate the existence of French headset threads, even if they seemed knowledgeable at first. There's one guy at an LBS who has sworn up and down for a decade to me that such a thing doesn't exist. Just wait until he discovers a constructeur bike.

-Kurt
Maybe so but in these two particular cases, both have been in play for far longer than that, they both require skill and patience especially when things go south.

I wouldn't be so sure about Di2, sure its not cheaper but it is cookie cutter, planned obsolescence, disposable, throwaway tech that will never be the amazing, reliable, lasting C+V vein we know and love.

A broken Simplex is pretty straight forward, cup and cone bearings not so much.
Old 06-21-23, 01:51 AM
Minion1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
I'd get rid of Di2:

10 speed Di2 got wedged in terms of batteries, inter compatibility especially with cables and only being on the market for short time before being superseded by 11 speed, but you weren't able to get parts for those components a scarily short time after they were introduced, which was very poor form, but given the circumstances was kind of forgivable. Then Shimano changes the ports for their cables, and a whole other generation of components went to the wall.

That may seem bad, but check this out: at the shop I work at, we have had the first generation Shimano E-bike motors clapping out and not being supported by Shimano - no replacement parts, no service support, just a bricked heavy bike. Shimano's solution: buying a $2,500 (AUD) replacement kit that has to include the battery. That is a really, really short product cycle, especially considering the last bike we worked on was 6 years old. Pretty much the opposite of C and V, sorry for being totally OT but I'd still get rid of Di2. How many S Works tarmacs are going to be unridable in 10 years, without a complete new drivetrain? How many Steel race bikes are still ridable with their original wheels and mechs?
Likes For Minion1:
Old 06-21-23, 06:22 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
...what's still around that would have been better off being pruned from the evolutionary tree. Umm, skintight lycra for those who should otherwise be wearing baggy clothes?
Only because you are such a fashion snob. Neal and cudak888 must be two of the best dressed cyclists I've ever had pleasure to ride a bike alongside.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 06-21-23, 07:55 AM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by philpeugeot
16mm crank bolts. Who in their right mind thought this was a better alternative to 14mm and 15mm crank bolts?
the company that invented the square taper crank thought 16 mm bolt heads were better, don't blame Stronglight for the knockoffs being oddly sized
Likes For C9H13N:
Old 06-21-23, 08:57 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts

1. The bog-standard square taper stuff (UN72 and knockoffs) tend to wear out faster than cup-and-cone BBs. I suspect this is due to the inherently smaller bearings. Cup and cone let you compensate for wear by a simple adjustment. Less waste, longer lifespan.
Not in my experience. Personally, I’ve never had a cartridge bearing bottom bracket of any kind from square taper to external wear out in the roughly 25 to 30 years I’ve been using them. I see very few worn out ones at my local co-op…and I’ve handled thousands of them. On the other hand, I have worn out dozens of spindles in the 10 to 15 years before cartridge bearings became ubiquitous.

As to the knockoffs, I have many horror stories of loose bearing bottom brackets made of Slagesium on HellMart bikes. Hemispherical bearings, cups that pull apart when you try to remove them, and crack spindles like the one below are common. Note that both ends of the spindle are cracked. I have seen some similar slagesium cartridge bearings but the issue isn’t with design of the part but with the materials of construction in both cases

2. Shimano's spline removal pattern should be shot, sent to the Russian front, whipped, shot again, and left to burn in hell. Whoever came up with this spline pattern engineered it perfectly to bias the removal tool to slip out of the splines while being torqued - which is more or less the only state of the tool when in use. Park has improved their remover for it, but I've lost count how many times I've bashed my hand and lost skin to this design slipping. I hate it.
Compared to the typical fixed cup tool like the Park HCW-4? The splined tool is parsecs better than fixed cup tools. I’ve developed a way to make it easier to work with the HCW-4 and the Shimano tool can be improved by using a Pedro’s BB holder or just a bolt, spring, and fender washer but the fixed cup tool everything you want to do to the spline tool should be done to the HCW-4 twice and then done to it twice again.

​​​​​​​3. The standard [Shimano*] design that currently proliferates the industry could have incorporated removable cartridge bearing replacements and separate rings (a-la Phil Wood) which could have resulted in a brilliant modular system of standardized center cartridges with easily replaceable bearings and separate cups to accommodate various BB threads. But nope, that's too smart, so the only design of this type is stuck in the boutique world. About the only hack one can do with the Shimano design is to use 73mm cartridges in 68mm shells with the corret left-hand lockring - if one can accept a spindle that's a bit too long on the left side.
Well that just Shimano. Shimano should have given us cogs so that we could make any gearing we want for the freehub but nooo, can’t have that. Shimano has kind of done what you want with the Hollowtech II system…only better.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-21-23, 11:58 AM
Paramount1973 

Bikes: Schwinn Continental, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn High Plains, Schwinn World Sport, Trek 420, Trek 930,Trek 660, Novara X-R, Giant Iguana. Fuji Sagres mixte.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
First thing I do with a newly acquired bike is yank out the old cup/cone bottom bracket and install a modern sealed bearing unit. I don’t install bottom brackets with a plastic cup.
Old 06-21-23, 12:43 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Paramount1973
First thing I do with a newly acquired bike is yank out the old cup/cone bottom bracket and install a modern sealed bearing unit.
That's too bad, I hope you don't just scrap the old stuff.

Not really talking about just the plastic cup but yes they suck even more.

I never use a sealed one when the original can still be used and will do everything I can to make it happen.
Likes For merziac:
Old 06-21-23, 01:13 PM
Paramount1973 

Bikes: Schwinn Continental, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn High Plains, Schwinn World Sport, Trek 420, Trek 930,Trek 660, Novara X-R, Giant Iguana. Fuji Sagres mixte.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
That's too bad, I hope you don't just scrap the old stuff.

Not really talking about just the plastic cup but yes they suck even more.

I never use a sealed one when the original can still be used and will do everything I can to make it happen.
Only one of my bikes had a cup/cone bottom bracket in good condition. It was a former police bike that had been well maintained. The rest had pitting and/or scoring in the cones so out they went.
Old 06-21-23, 05:39 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Not in my experience. Personally, I’ve never had a cartridge bearing bottom bracket of any kind from square taper to external wear out in the roughly 25 to 30 years I’ve been using them. I see very few worn out ones at my local co-op…and I’ve handled thousands of them. On the other hand, I have worn out dozens of spindles in the 10 to 15 years before cartridge bearings became ubiquitous.
My experience has been the opposite, strangely enough. I've worn out one (not a Shimano unit though) and have replaced quite a few of them.

I've also replaced far fewer cup-and-cone and have been able to salvage a few BBs for folks whose only transportation is a bicycle and would barely have the funds for a cartridge replacement.

Perhaps it is a regional thing - maybe unsealed cup-and-cone BBs take a greater hit in the winter salt in Denver than the wet summers of Florida.

As to the knockoffs, I have many horror stories of loose bearing bottom brackets made of Slagesium on HellMart bikes. Hemispherical bearings, cups that pull apart when you try to remove them, and crack spindles like the one below are common. Note that both ends of the spindle are cracked. I have seen some similar slagesium cartridge bearings but the issue isn’t with design of the part but with the materials of construction in both cases
I was speaking of decent-quality Shimano knockoffs - including equipment found in share bikes, i.e., copies, but quality copies. That's where I'm seeing some variations on Shimano's design that sometimes make more sense than the current UN-series BBs.

Wally World-quality stuff isn't even worth discussing; it's just not representative of quality versions of the same. That goes for both cup and cone and sealed bottom bracket designs too - either of them can be made cheaply or of high quality, and we all know the big box bunk will represent the former. Plus, a great deal of cup-and-cone BBs on Wal-Mart bikes are improperly adjusted from new, making them more prone to failure on the basis of adjustment alone.

Compared to the typical fixed cup tool like the Park HCW-4? The splined tool is parsecs better than fixed cup tools. I’ve developed a way to make it easier to work with the HCW-4 and the Shimano tool can be improved by using a Pedro’s BB holder or just a bolt, spring, and fender washer but the fixed cup tool everything you want to do to the spline tool should be done to the HCW-4 twice and then done to it twice again.
I wasn't comparing it with anything else, I was criticizing the Shimano spline on it's own design flaws irrespective of any other design. Honestly, I don't think there's a single perfect BB removal tool designed yet.

The Park HCW-4 is a piece of crap, but that's a function of Park designing a lousy tool and never bothering to improve it over 40+ years, because cheap sells.

This is what I consider a proper fixed cup removal tool that won't slip out of the bottom bracket when I torque it. It also costs 10+ times that of the HCW-4 and is hard to find. Somewhere between the HCW-4, the VAR BP-03000, and the "it's a kludge and yet it's super smart" Pedro's supplement tool is a happy medium: A tool that actually works on its own without a second tool to make it better, and is simple enough to be affordable. It just doesn't exist yet.

Shimano has kind of done what you want with the Hollowtech II system…only better.
Except that they haven't done it with square tapers.

-Kurt

Old 06-22-23, 02:06 AM
Minion1

I'm sure that 45 years ago, someone said "suppliers and companies only want easier, faster and cheaper so they can keep paying less and less to work on the crap that continues to drag the standards down."

-Kurt
Also, with Di2, and hydraulic, and sram's electronic stuff, the internal gubbins are going to be the same across the range of parts - road to mtn, up and down the group sets. So, that's far fewer small parts to supply, fewer part codes in inventory, plug and play the same servo into the same housing across all the groups and change the window dressing, rather than keep tying themselves in knots every year trying to differentiate and improve some pretty good mechanical components. And, when it breaks, I.e when it doesn't talk to the shifter, or battery, or junction box, it is dead forever.
Old 06-22-23, 02:36 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Man the salt levels are HIGH for Di2. I had one of them Ultegra 10-speed groups that was about 10 years old. Worked beautifully when I hooked it all up! I now have a Dura-Ace 9070 group, and after a component update, it's happy as a clam. 9070 debuted 10 years ago. To update that component, I had to find out what PC-to-bicycle interface to get, picked it up, and then did some more research to find out what version of Di2-specific (free) software I needed to download, did that, and all is good. It was a bit of a saga, but learning curves go that way. And for all the annoyance with the whole group being poison, it's just the shifters and derailleurs that are affected. Crankset, wheels, brakes are just fine.

The PC-to-bike interface for Di2, of which there are only two thus far, is, at the end of the day, a tool, just like a BB adjustment tool (or the half a dozen or more that were made for various 'standards' 30-40 years ago). It requires knowledge to operate, searching to find, and knowledge to know which components worked with it. I have a Suntour cartridge bearing bottom bracket adjustment/installation tool. That is arguably muuuuuch rarer to come across, let alone coming across one of those BBs in the first place. Somehow I have two bikes with them all of a sudden...

Anyways, more electronic shifting for me in the future. I'll let you all know how it goes, right after I keep riding my 42 year old Trek. with it's 40 year old components along side it.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 06-22-23, 04:04 AM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts
Not a piece of technology, but a decision: whatever/whoever caused the demise of Suntour as we knew it.
Likes For Bianchi84:
Old 06-22-23, 05:14 AM
Minion1

Oh sigh - I think Di2 has set something off in my lizard brain I wasn't previously cognisant of .

For current GRX Di2 and current 12 speed groups, to fully adjust your derailleurs there is a shop only version of E-tube, not available to consumers. The micro adjust option only troubleshoots a very limited range, so if your indexing goes out its 40 bucks to the bike shop thanks. It's a function that was in the previous version of e-tube, that has been stripped from the current version. I've observed this stuff up to now, and given Shimano a bit of a pass, but the rate of incidence of things I'd give Shimano a pass for is accelerating and I am getting a bit saltier about it. Electronic shifting is a wonderland of opportunities for monetisation, from a bike company's perspective, though that's not always good news for consumers. Imagine if your ten speed Di2 was compatible with 11 and 12 speed. MINDS BLOWN!

I think ROS did it right though - get one of the most popular groups, at the beginning of the life cycle and take good care of it. Right now I'd get ultra Di2 12 speed, although I'd still have the niggles in the back of my mind about Shimano's behaviour to date.
Likes For Minion1:
Old 06-22-23, 05:15 AM
Minion1

Originally Posted by Bianchi84
Not a piece of technology, but a decision: whatever/whoever caused the demise of Suntour as we knew it.
My running joke at the moment is that I have a lifetime supply of Suntour Barcons. I have 2.
Old 06-22-23, 08:53 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Minion1
My running joke at the moment is that I have a lifetime supply of Suntour Barcons. I have 2.
I probably have ten sets. It's my favorite way to shift a bike. Every bike.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 06-22-23, 09:11 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
My experience has been the opposite, strangely enough. I've worn out one (not a Shimano unit though) and have replaced quite a few of them.

I've also replaced far fewer cup-and-cone and have been able to salvage a few BBs for folks whose only transportation is a bicycle and would barely have the funds for a cartridge replacement.

Perhaps it is a regional thing - maybe unsealed cup-and-cone BBs take a greater hit in the winter salt in Denver than the wet summers of Florida.
The durability of loose bearing bottom brackets…not really a “cup and cone” system…is somewhat dependent on where you use them. I blew through dozens of them in the early days of mountain biking when the seals were either missing or rudimentary. It’s less about salt and more about sand. Cartridge bearing bottom brackets were a significant advancement in durability when they came out.

I was speaking of decent-quality Shimano knockoffs - including equipment found in share bikes, i.e., copies, but quality copies. That's where I'm seeing some variations on Shimano's design that sometimes make more sense than the current UN-series BBs.
I’ll agree that some of the copies are bad but they are bad for the same reason HellMart bottom brackets are bad. They are made from inferior materials for people who don’t understand that the most expensive tool is the one you buy twice. As long as you buy a cartridge bearing BB of quality, it will last up. I can’t say the same about loose bearing bottom brackets in my experience. I bought very good quality ones back in the day. They lasted only a little while longer than the cheap ones of the day.

Wally World-quality stuff isn't even worth discussing; it's just not representative of quality versions of the same. That goes for both cup and cone and sealed bottom bracket designs too - either of them can be made cheaply or of high quality, and we all know the big box bunk will represent the former. Plus, a great deal of cup-and-cone BBs on Wal-Mart bikes are improperly adjusted from new, making them more prone to failure on the basis of adjustment alone.
The HellMart bikes with bottom bracket problems that I have found aren’t because they are improperly adjusted. Often the bottom bracket is loose after only a few miles but that is a function of the ball bearings being made of a material that probably starts to break apart in the first mile of riding. I don’t have pictures but I’ve seen many caged bearing sets where the cage is flattened and the bearings (that are left) are hemispheres at best. The bottom bracket in filled with bearing dust. The cups tend to pull apart as you unscrew them so they are a bear to get out of the frame. The bikes are of such low quality that both co-ops I volunteer at just recycle all of the HellMart bikes that are donated.

​​​​​​​I wasn't comparing it with anything else, I was criticizing the Shimano spline on it's own design flaws irrespective of any other design. Honestly, I don't think there's a single perfect BB removal tool designed yet.
I don’t have any problem with the design. It’s fairly easy to hold it in place with the heel of your hand or to use a bolt to keep it in place. Some of mine can be fitted to a 3/8” or 1/2” socket drive. I use a breaker bar which holds it in place nicely.

​​​​​​​The Park HCW-4 is a piece of crap, but that's a function of Park designing a lousy tool and never bothering to improve it over 40+ years, because cheap sells.
I disagree. They have been improved. The “improvement” is the BBT-22 that you dislike. Not too many modern bottom brackets use the HCW-4 now so they don’t sell that many.

​​​​​​​This is what I consider a proper fixed cup removal tool that won't slip out of the bottom bracket when I torque it. It also costs 10+ times that of the HCW-4 and is hard to find. Somewhere between the HCW-4, the VAR BP-03000, and the "it's a kludge and yet it's super smart" Pedro's supplement tool is a happy medium: A tool that actually works on its own without a second tool to make it better, and is simple enough to be affordable. It just doesn't exist yet.
While a beautiful tool, I have done something similar with the HCW-4, an old axle, a couple of axle nuts, and some kickstand parts

It worked well enough but I improved it here with a crank bolt, a BB bearing cup, and a fender washer. I’ve used this set up, along with removing the fixed cup first, to remove several of those slagesium HellMart BB cups.

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​Except that they haven't done it with square tapers.
Because, as with the HCW-4, there is no need. You could follow the external bearing BB’s lead and just use a 73mm BB with spacers.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-22-23, 09:58 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

TI disagree. They have been improved. The “improvement” is the BBT-22 that you dislike. Not too many modern bottom brackets use the HCW-4 now so they don’t sell that many.
That's not an improvement, that's a new tool for a different purpose. You can't use a BBT-22 for what the HCW-4 is designed fir.

While a beautiful tool, I have done something similar with the HCW-4, an old axle, a couple of axle nuts, and some kickstand parts
Yep, saw the photos before. I concocted something similar long ago too before I had my VAR tool. It only justifies that the HCW-4 should come from factory with a formal version of that adapter as part of the tool.

-Kurt

Old 06-22-23, 10:07 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
Standardized dimensions would be nice but that’s just crazy talk.

5/16” bearings in a 68mm BB with a 118mm spindle holding 175mm arms with 9/16 holes for pedals? Pick a standard and go with it!

Don't get me going on wheels and tires…
Well, in an alternate timeline, the AI determined that a united manufacturing standard was too risky, so it sent back a terminator to end the Shimano pitch 10 concept.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 06-22-23, 10:13 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts

Well that just Shimano. Shimano should have given us cogs so that we could make any gearing we want for the freehub but nooo, can’t have that. Shimano has kind of done what you want with the Hollowtech II system…only better.
Did you shear that spindle?? Someone heavy try downhill on a BSO??
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 06-22-23, 11:21 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 2,135 Times in 558 Posts

-Kurt
On several occasions, I have been unsuccessful in persuading LBS mechanics that French-threaded spokes are a thing.
Old 06-22-23, 11:57 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by gaucho777
On several occasions, I have been unsuccessful in persuading LBS mechanics that French-threaded spokes are a thing.
Every bicycle mechanic worth their salt should, if unaware of a specific example, automatically assume there's a French-threaded version of anything on a bike that can be threaded.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 06-22-23 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-24-23, 01:52 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Electronic shifting. It's doing horrible things to the bike industry; more toxic materials, much more expensive, nothing is compatible with anything, limited life span, more toxic materials... It does nothing to improve the bike or the rider; all it does is improve the mfrs profit margins.
Likes For Korina:
Old 06-24-23, 08:02 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Electronic shifting. It's doing horrible things to the bike industry; more toxic materials, much more expensive, nothing is compatible with anything, limited life span, more toxic materials... It does nothing to improve the bike or the rider; all it does is improve the mfrs profit margins.
My friend has etap on a Litespeed gravel bike. He let me ride it. It's really cool, great fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.