Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any Specalized Diverge Owners?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-23, 01:17 PM
GregBikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking to spark some discussion with other Specalized Diverge owners. I currently have the Base A1, and am looking to do some upgrades on it. The Derailer and the base shifter set is becoming problematic and requires constant tuning, Im also looking to a better seat that will help me lean forward on the bike more, as i find myself stretching out more that i would like to.
Any particular seats i should look at?
Old 07-06-23, 02:57 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,100 Times in 3,833 Posts
You'll probably find more Diverge owners in the Gravel section of the forum, rather than the Road section.

Seats are a very personal fit, and one that might be great for me might be torture for you. Based on what you said, it sounds like an adjustment to seat position and/or angle might be a better place to start. If you're feeling too stretched out, it might also be an indicator that a shorter stem might be the right adjustment to make.
Old 07-07-23, 03:51 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
I have the '22 Diverge Sport Carbon - heavily modified from its original configuration.

Here's what I changed - for your consideration:

Wheels - Mason x Hunt 650b Adventure Sport - much lighter than OEM wheels and allow for big 650b tires

Tires - Conti Race King 650bx2.2 - big, bouncy, tubeless, grippy and fairly light (550g) - and not bad on pavement

Stem - 70mm x 35* - gives a slightly more upright position

Bars - Ritchey Beacon (aluminum) - very shallow drop makes using bar ends and riding. the drops convenient

Shifters - ENE Ciclo bar ends with a Jtek Shiftmate 6 ratio pulley - excellent ratchet mechanism in shifter makes friction-shifting an 11 speed easy (at least for me) - and I can achieve a very quiet drivetrain - and I can dump or jump 10 gears with one quick swing of the lever if I wish, instead of clickety-clickety-clickety 20 times with the brifters (annoying!)

Crankset - SRAM x9 38/24 MTB crank - essentially gives me a 1x (using the 38t ring) with the added bonus of serious climbing gears (using the 24t) - low gear is 24/42!!

Rear Derailleur - SRAM GX 2x - 1x RDs don't work with 2x set-ups.

Front Derailleur - SRAM Rival 'Yaw' - cheap and effective - this FD does not have a housing stop. Specialized provides an FD housing stop for the carbon frame but the design/install is a bit half-a$$ed - but it works.

Seat - Brooks Pro - broken-in and comfy.

Fenders - SKS plastic - easy to install and adjust - the carbon frame uses an auxiliary bridge between the seat stays for fender. They clear the 650bx2.2 such that if you stay away from major mud you'll be ok. Get a scrap piece of sheet vinyl and cut yourself a front mud flap.

Pedals - Deity flats - long pins are very grippy - can change foot position as desired - and don't have to wear (IMO) uncomfortable, dorky SPD shoes.

Overall, the Diverge with its OEM components was ENJOYABLEand ADEQUATE. BUT, set up as I now have it makes me FEEL LIKE A HERO when charging down some sketchy dirt road at 35mph!!!

Last edited by jlaw; 07-07-23 at 04:25 PM.